Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Dreamhost Wants Googlebot Banned?

Tadeusz Szewczyk [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, May 24, 2007
17 years ago2,964 views

This sound crazy but it seems to be true:
http://www.seopedia.org/internet-marketing-and-seo/dreamhost-asking-clients-to-block-googlebot/

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

it sounds like they are not forcing it on their users, but still.... that is like asking a fortune 100 company to do no advertising whatsoever :)

Real good..

Jeff [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Wow! How could anyone possibly believe that this could possibly be true...

The true story:

Dreamhost simply want the tiny, tiny, tiny minority of their shared hosting sites which cause the Googlebot to take-up >50% of the shared server's resources to either remove the content causing this, or add a .htaccess file to prevent the Googlebot from crawling it (or open a dedicated account). Completely reasonable. What else should they do?! Allow the situation to continue and have everyone else's sites on the server grind to a halt?!

Is it so much to ask for people to check facts before simply repeating a silly rumour? Did you really think any host would prevent all of their client's sites receiving traffic from Google?!

Daniel Garcia [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

Simply. This RECOMMENDATIONS from Dreamhost is for user-centric high load servers

Tadeusz Szewczyk [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Jeff, to me it sounds like Dreamhost is overburdened if it can not even deal with Googlebot. That would be no wonder as Dreamhost offers much more for much less then competitors. I don't understand why you get that pissed. Are you working at Dreamhost?

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Why is the thing from my previous post now above the Bloglink in the sidebar?

stefan2904 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

http://www.seopedia.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/dreamhost-mail.png

this screenshots looks realy, erm, legitimate...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!