Google Blogoscoped

Forum

How to Check Google Censorship (Video)  (View post)

stefan2904 [PersonRank 10]

Monday, May 28, 2007
17 years ago4,047 views

i am able to play the sound but no video in vlc and play the video but no sound in the new wmp......

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I'll try to upload to Google Video. (The first, web-based upload I tried before posting this failed already due to some unspecified error, but now I'll try with Google's desktop uploader.)

[Update: Quality/ resolution is too low at Google Video, you can't make out much.]

摩摩诘 [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Very interesting video.I am Chinese and I absolutely know that tons of pages are censored by google.cn.But,I think you may hear from xiaowang or some others that we can access to google.com too,and the censored pages are all available.
I have to mention that when you use Google Books China,you may forget that Google.cn is for China not for the world,it is more reasonable that the results are all Chinese books rather than books from world wide .

17 years ago #

> it is more reasonable that the results are all Chinese
> books rather than books from world wide

Yes, but many Chinese-language books are published outside of Mainland China, and Chinese searchers are missing out on these books – they're even missing out on all the very relevant books published in Hong Kong! Besides, Google in normal circumstances (without censorship) *always* prefers to give all results, even when they may push local results higher up the rankings as they often do... you can easily verify this by checking Google Book Search Germany results at books.google.de, where *all* publishers are showing when you search in English (at least unless something is censored – Google Germany also occasionaly censors, though on a smaller scale). And this makes sense too.

afa [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Interesting observation! However, your analysis about Book Search in Google CN does not seem to be sound. Actually, users in China can get access to Google Book Search without redirecting to the Chinese version which only indexes and searches a database of books published within China, which is mostly about books written in Chinese.

The real problem about censorship in Chinese Internet is not the self-censorship of these companies, but the keyword-based censorship on the border of the Internet of China. This technology, nicknamed "the Great FireWall" or GFW, can cut off any TCP/IP connection by sending a fake RST, and further draws any non-encrypted transferring of 'sensitive' information unusable.

Stephen [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I didn't actually pay attention but your post made me think of something. The internet will move more and more to video. And I'm guessing this will make very difficult to sensor that sort of content. Just an observation/comment.

17 years ago #

> Actually, users in China can get access to
> Google Book Search without redirecting to the
> Chinese version which only indexes and searches
> a database of books published within China, which
> is mostly about books written in Chinese.

Yes absolutely, Chinese users may be able to use Google.com when it's not blocked itself. The video just explained how you can check up on Google censorship, it was not a video showing how you can escape that censorship (there may be a variety of possibilities, like going to Google.com – if it's not censored by the Great Firewall of China itself! – or using programs like Tor, though these are hard for me to check from here in Germany).

Stephen:
> And I'm guessing this will make very difficult to
> sensor that sort of content.

Videos can be blocked by domain (think YouTube in Thailand) as well as by content, at least if the content is summarized as text somewhere on the video page – and if it's not summarized, it will be hard to find with a search engine for normal users too... meaning that while you may indeed be able to use video and image content to escape automated word blacklist, you may also lose out on people finding your content!

Ricardo Sanchez [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

Very interesting video-post, well done.

A suggestion: could you post future videos in AVI/XVID, so Linux users out there don't have to install proprietary VFW codecs? Or is it the conversion too troublesome?

It is a shame that Google Video could not be used due to video quality problems.

stefan2904 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4927156803963028246
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7186837125062976098
but as philipp say, the quality is very bad...

(why is my docid negative?)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!