Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Desktop 2  (View post)

Mike [PersonRank 0]

Monday, August 22, 2005
18 years ago

Makes me wonder what Yahoo! is up to. Seems their recent acquisition of Konfabulator would make sense for a sidebar-type of application.

Alberto [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

What's everybody's opnion on Google Desktop 2? I still don't want my search results displayed on a web page, I wnat to be able to access the files driectly (e.g. to copy them or delete them) instead of opening through the webbrowser.

As far as the sidebar goes, is doesn't offer me anything better (yet?) than my current dedicated newsreader.

I am very interested in what anybody else is thinking.

Brian [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

It has some usabilty issues. I don't see a way to add links to the "quick view" panel, yet it isn't picking up a site I use daily.

In the "Web Clips" (i.e. RSS feeds) panel, there is no way to search for feeds, so you have to find them externally and copy the feed address and paste it in.

Lastly, the Auto-Hide feature doesn't work if one of the
flyout windows is open.

It seems like a decent idea, but the quirks aren't worked out of it yet.

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

You're taking the wrong approach to it. it is supposed to be intuitive; when you've gone around on the net a bit the webclips panel will pick up feeds from what you visit. and the quick view is dynamic too. and i think its just now indexing stuff for hte quick view and webclips so it wont add anything to quick view just because you visited it daily in the past, just now. and if it autohid when one of the windows was out it might close a window you were trying to get info from.

but i would like a way to add stuff to the quick view rather than having to wait for it to come up then having to star it.

Barb T [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Anyone having trouble with sidebar showing news or gmail?

Brian [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Barb, I am having troubles too.

Every time I reboot it forgets all my settings. I have added feeds to Web Clips and Photos, added filters to the email, and updated the stock and weather panels. All those settings are gone the next time I boot up. This has happened more than once.

Mike [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

The gmail index showed up on my pc only when google had finished indexing everything.

Jay Taylor [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Help! Panic!!! Loaded Google 2 – Google said reboot – rebooted – after
XP welcome screen, I get nothing but blue screen.

Rebooted in Safe Mode, get Safe Mode screen but other Safe mode wording across top rest of screen is black. No desktop or any other activity.

Please advise to this e-mail address mat248[put at-character here]houston.rr.com

Jay Taylor

bitsnedker [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Hi Mike – how long time took you PC to index your stuff? – I've been waiting for 3 days now....

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!