Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Talk  (View post)

notbeinguseful [PersonRank 1]

Wednesday, August 24, 2005
18 years ago

Like you said, it is very clean and usable. Interesting that they have not yet integrated features from their Hello client, but I'm sure it's coming.

There is a lot of lock-in involved with other IM clients/protocols. It will be interesting to see if/how/when Google will be able to negotiate with the YIM/AIM/MSN networks.

I just hope they keep it light, tight, and preferably modular.

Dan Neal [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I like it, It's a good start. but as has already been said, would be good if it could negotiate with YIM/AIM/MSN, this is really necessary

Adam Lasnik [PersonRank 2]

18 years ago #

As I noted in my own review (http://www.bladam.com/archives/0508232317.htm), I found GT to be uncluttered and intuitive, but generally disappointing. So many of the niceties of existing IM services were missing... the ability to send a note to a friend when adding them ("Hi, it's Adam... from Willard dorm '91!"), ability to send notes to offline folks... and generally tons of things I've grown used to with the fab Trillian program.

I have no doubt that this product will improve. But my expectations were just a bit too high.

James Gamble [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I liked the way it instantly docked into the GoogleDesktop Sidebar (which I installed about 10 minutes after installing Talk ;))
It works great, and I have no problems with it, so far.
Nice that it keeps track of which user is sending the messages, so you don't get (for example)
James : Hello
James : You there?
James : Heeeloooo!
and instead wind up with
James : Hello
You there?
Heeeloooo!

See, much neater!

justin flavin [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

i'm on it via Gaim if anyone wants to test this out.

justinf[put at-character here]gmail.com

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

James, I noticed this detail too – I really like it.

And if someone wants to try it out, I'm available (at times) at philipp.lenssen[put at-character here]gmail.com

18 years ago #

I updated my post, because I noticed this message in the Talk About screen:
play 23 21 13 16 21 19 . 7 1 13 5

Does anyone know what it means?

18 years ago #

just sent a message to you philip

are there any multi user chat rooms on talk.google.com?

amit upadhyay [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

as of the msg, read it with a=1 and z=26, its a bot, plays wumpus game.

18 years ago #

Amit, I just solved it too! Very cool.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Re: play 23 21 13 16 21 19 . 7 1 13 5

Aha – thanks! I saw that too and was scratching my head about it!

18 years ago #

Invite wumpus.game[put at-character here]gmail.com to play a game with him – type "Play" to him :)

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

i agree that docking with sidebar is cool but i thought id mention that this is due to no relationship between them, its just cause sidebar shrinks the desktop and gtalk docks to the edges of the desktop

Dr. Fil [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I sure am going to try this one. Now to invite my family to get a GMail account. They're all using Yahoo now for some weird reason.

http://dr.fil.ph

jason [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I wonder if you have any chance of getting the deleted files again from the trash can?..do you think this is possible?

Iolaire McFadden [PersonRank 6]

18 years ago #

Did they kill wumpus?
This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

wumpus.gamegmail.com[put at-character here]gmail.com

Zoolander [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

Sorry it sucks. Bite me ;)

18 years ago #

wumpus game is gone. i got a delivery error (i'm using the gaim client)

wumpus.game[put at-character here]gmail.com is the id to use , isnt it?

Philipp Lensen [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I thought the address was wumpus.game[put at-character here]gmail.com ....

Iolaire McFadden [PersonRank 6]

18 years ago #

Thanks for the wumpus correction, I must have failed my copy an paste test.

On a side note, they paste in text into their text box as rtf. All of the text that I past from this site ends up out of view, because of the difference in font size between it and system text.

Mat Balez [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Anyone know how to search a chat history? Where is it being stored? Server-side?

Juan [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

is there a jabber transport to google talk?
any hack to make it work on windows 98/5?
thanks

Henrique Gusso [PersonRank 2]

18 years ago #

I can't get wumpus.game[put at-character here]gmail.com to accept me to play with him =(

Jairson Vitorino [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Wumpus World is a classical example for AI students. In particular, Peter Norvig, which is in quality search at Google is one of the guys that wrote THE text book for AI undergrads, nickname AIMA (Artificial Intelligence a Modern Approach).

cheers,

Jairson, from Brazil

Senthil Kumaran [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Wumpus is a very old Computer Game.
People Interested in Wumpus can check the C Source here:
http://geocities.com/uthcode2/wumpus/wumpus-page.html
Its a nice feeling that Google has brought that back to spotlight.! :)

btw, unable to play with wumpus.game[put at-character here]gmail.com on GAIM.. any one successful?

Senthil
http://puggy.symonds.net/~senthil

18 years ago #

Wumpus didn't accept my invitation until now, I couldn't play either.

Here are some of the feature suggestions I sent off to Google via their special request form:

1. Stop making my task bar flash upon new messages (I disabled all notificiations, but I have my Windows taskbar in "hidden" mode and it keeps coming up).

2. Allow me to increase the font size of chat windows.

3. Allow me to create chat rooms for multi-user chatting (like #something on IRC, related to a specific topic or user group).

One a completely unrelated side-note, I thought it was a nice feature I can use Ctrl+Tab to switch between individual chat windows...

James Gamble [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

New Find (I think!)

*text* = bold!
You have to make sure your * touches the first and last letters, though. if you do * text * that won't work!
You can do *bold words* midsentence, too..

mihai007 [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

also check this out:

_yoo_
_*yoo*_

i wonder where is the underline....

Ralph Corderoy [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Anyone know any bots running on Google Talk that I can chat to to try things out, e.g. a fortune server, or Eliza.

gtalk testing... [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I Downloaded Google Talk the Morning that it was released & have been trying it out...

It seems very much like a bit of a "me too" thing, possibly too little, too late?

Though I'm sure it will be fairly successful, just YAIM – Yet Another Instant Messenger though.
   :-(

The Sound Quality when I tried it with the only other person I know who has it was absolutely *atrocious*!!!

It kept breaking up – *badly*.

It was nowhere near as good Sound as with M$ NetMeeting or Skype.

It was so bad, that we switched to Skype, so we could hear each other properly.

Anyway, the real reason for this reply is that I saw someone mention about it Docking (or not)...

I couldn't get it to Dock at any of the Screen edges, but it *does* Integrate into the Google Desktop SideBar thingy very nicely...

DoubleClick the TitleBar in the Google Talk Main Window & it Docks as a panel actually *into* the GDS & then it slides out when you Click the top of the (Docked) Panel (or the << Chevron thingy)

& it also then shows on the List of stuff to Add in the "Add/Remove Panels" DropDown Menu (of GDS).

BTW – What is all this stuff in it about "Enable Shaker"

That sounds a bit like the sort of fluffy bits that M$N Messenger & Yahoo Messenger have in them.

& how do you get it into "Debug" Mode?

/debug doesn't work, as a Command Line Option, but there's stuff in it about Debug Mode

Cliff [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Why won't my GoogleTalk dock into GDS? :-(

Cliff [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Got it. All you have to do is restart GDS after installing Google Talk! NICE!

Peter [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

For a funny take on adding adds to Google talk have a look at:

http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20050828

Peter.

Ronnie [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I think the chatroom feature is very necessary. Other than that, what can I say, I love it! I was never a fan of chatting, except occassionaly, but now after checking out how light Google Talk is, I am forcing myself into it. I think what Google made is awesome, and they should never make it as bloated as MSN or Yahoo. But I think a chatroom feature can easily be integrated without making it bloated. Eventually hopefully it's prowess will go beyond that of MSN or Yahoo, such as allowing video conferencing etc.

Regardless of all that, I give it 5 *s. It's just a superb and a sexy piece of software. Go Google Go!

Felipe [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

hi, im a php/js programmer from Colombia, this is my 2 cents:

I like it a lot, interface is clean, and for some reason (C WINAPI???) it runs very fast and consumes almos no memory (compared to the rather bloated trillian "basic", that almost makes my machine kneel into a blue screen to its needs) and looks kinda cool, yeah, who needs skins, group trees, and splash screen that fades at the beginning .

sadly, i have almost noone to talk to me using it,
lots of dudes at MSN, yahoo and ICQ, (i use trilian) but noone here...

i did like the gmail notifier feature, so that i dont have to see 3 litle icons on my already full systray.

any programmer care to add me to the list?
the nick is auditor400.

i also have one or 2 gmail invites, but they are running out fast.....

what i /would/ like to see, tough, is some kind of plug-in
stuff, so that lots of ppl with nothing better to do, would make like games and stuff, and bloat the thing into the slowest one of them all..... not.

[php/javascript/coldfusion/ajax stuff]
http://www.geocities.com/kyoosho/

Harry Parker [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Do you think google would remove WUMPUS GAME after just few days of use?
Then why are the numbers still there? There have been plenty of updates of GoogleTalk since the game is gone but the numbers are still there!
Maybe the game is not gone. Mayby you just need to do one more thing to enable it... maybe you need to sent an email to wupus with certain keywords...
It seems Google tries to pick smart people who can solve the puzzle...

Dan Pee :P [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

The letters are gone now, and I never got to play it :(I got gtalk hours after it came out and I still use every google service in existance except adwords and google trusted tester and eval.google.com but I'll get my hands on the someday!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!