Googleshare Floors  (View post)

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, June 5, 2007
17 years ago4,423 views

first

Cool! It seems good

Andrew Taylor [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Of course, the this presumably doesn't account for regional context – i.e., in some areas the ground floor is called the "first floor". I doubt that'd be something suicide jumpers would consider either though.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Jump from ground floor sounds like stupid :-P
I do not understand why the sum of all the pourcentages doesn't equal 100%... ?

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<<percentages doesn't equal 100%... ?>>
I think that it's the percentage of searching for the term on it's own

eg. 'Suicide Ground floor' returns 10% of the results compared to 'Ground floor' on it's own (search terms with out quotes)

Dan Tobias [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

Many buildings skip the 13th floor for superstitious reasons, so I'd expect a lower number of references to it in places that are talking about things in actual buildings; however, this might be compensated for by the existence of 13th-floor references in various fiction that's using it to provide a "macabre" atmosphere.

Ricardo Sanchez [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

Which program are you using for the graphics? They look nice.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

This is (X)HTML/CSS created with PHP5, from which I then made screenshots (I have a local installation called "WAMP" which puts MySQL/PHP and more on your Windows machine). I use the super-old PaintShop Pro 4 to check color values and such, and use Corel PhotoPaint for photo retouching...

If anyone has a term I should check, let me know and I'll generate the graphics. Theoretically, I can run this publicly on this server for everyone to enter their own terms, though the 30-requests per query might make it a bit of a bottleneck if a lot of people use it simultaneously...

JohnMu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"PaintShop Pro 4" – totally off topic, but what's your demo period at? I actually went out and bought it back then but somehow forgot to keep the paid version; I love how the demoversion is perpetual and the whole installation can be copied and nothing has to be installed – it just works :-). ("you are on day 1610 of your 30 day ....")

(sorry, back to the normal program :D)

Have you considered brand or product names instead of stories? Eg "keyword linux" vs "keyword windows|microsoft" ? Also, geolocation would be interesting to play with...

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I'm currently on day 535 but I've been using it much longer, this is not the first installation I'm using :) Actually, the successor versions weren't as good I think... they had too many features, but when I want more features I just switch to PhotoPaint.

Ricardo Sanchez [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

Thanks for the info!

Mark Draughn [PersonRank 5]

17 years ago #

I've heard that people rarely die by jumping or falling from the third floor or below (numbering the ground floor as the first floor). The fourth floor is where falls begin to get deadly, so I guess the fifth floor is the lowest floor for which death is highly likely.

I think the spike on the 13th floor is probably reporting bias. Knowing that many people consider 13 an unlucky number, a reporter is more likely to include the floor in the story (and an editor is more likely to retain it in later editions).

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!