Forum

OpenID

DPic [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, June 6, 2007
17 years ago5,085 views

Would it be possible for Google to support OpenID? http://openid.net/

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I created an Orkut group for this and Jeff Huber, Google's VP of engineering, was the first person to join!

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I'd love if they did but it does take a little longer to sign in if you don't want to auto sign. My account -xuanjames is the same username for everything as is my password <strike>49</strike>erm.. Maybe i shouldn't tell you that one.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

crap strikes don't work!

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

BTW, would it be possible for Google Blogoscoped Forum to use OpenID? I have an "ludwik.trammer.pl" OpenID, but no place to use it ;]

Zim [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It'll be a mess (bigger than google accounts)
Google is full of duplicated accounts for one person, and using OpenID IMHO will only make the chaos bigger.

Pierre S [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

And here comes a long requested feature: the ability ro merge accounts.
IMHO, OpenID is a good thing because it is vendor neutral , as opposed to the Google Accounts API or the Passport (now LiveID) framework.
As a result, there's a room for widespread adoption.
Moreover, all the opensource projects and some closed source projects are adopting it, so it will be available on a large scale once the final versions of these products are out.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I agree with Pierre: until Google has a way for us to merge accounts, there's no point bringing in OpenID.

Once we can merge accounts, yes please for OpenID! Some of us have multiple Google accounts through no choice of our own, from the days when various Google services had different requirements.

Pierre S [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

No I didn't mean merge support between google accounts was essential to open id. As i already use open id,it would anyway help me(i suppose they would allow migration from other openid providers on day 0)

jilm [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

OpenID could threaten Google. Every openess is bad for the biggest one and Google is getting the biggest ecosystem of web services. Google won´t accept OpenID unless it is a standard. They are open where they have to – Google Talk – and closed where they have an advantage.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Heehee, to beg to differ :)

17 years ago #

> OpenID could threaten Google.

I wouldn't be so sure. Google could become one of the major OpenID providers.

17 years ago #

BTW, the last episode of the "Security Now" podcast is devoted to this very topic – http://www.twit.tv/sn95

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

>I wouldn't be so sure. Google could become one of the major OpenID providers.

...Yes, they could ;)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!