Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Reader does not work on Opera Mobile

Artem [PersonRank 4]

Wednesday, June 6, 2007
17 years ago4,400 views

Stopped working on the day when Google Gears were launched – http://www.googlersblogs.com/node/7420

Reto Meier [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

My suggestion? Use the mobile version of Reader when using it on your, ah, mobile :)

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<<...when using it on your, ah, mobile...>>
Why are you being sarcastic as if his mobile is not a good one. Thats really rude. Many people would kill for any smart phone. All I have is an LG u400

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

No, James. I think Reto is suggesting that when you're using a mobile, you should be using the mobile version of Google Reader rather than the standard version. Otherwise, you should probably expect some problems...

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

> Otherwise, you should probably expect some problems...

Once upon a time the W3C suggested that you can have a single site and it would adapt to the user agent automatically through stylesheet selections ("screen", "handheld", "print" etc....). One URL, independent of technicalities like screen resolution or medium or browser settings, which would also mean you can send the same URL from say your phone to your friend's desktop PC. But I'm being nostalgic :)

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

And I think that would (or *should*) still be true for most simple websites. But I think that web applications are a bit more advanced than even the W3C ever imagined.

One day we'll be able to use the same browser on our mobile phone (or other Internet communicator) as we do on our desktop computers.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It doesn't even work for simple sites Tony :/
Take this forum, for instance: Windows Mobile Internet Explorer ignores the W3C, grabs the media "screen" stylesheet that is served, and then manages to completely ruin the display for all 3 display modes it then offers me ("desktop", "one-row", "standard" or something) so it's nearly impossible to read anything (it's like 1 word per line)...

Zim [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Hey, but haven't you heard about we-love-firefox-you-must-use-it-too philosophy?
I used to browse with Opera, I like it more than FF, but I want/"need" the google toolbar (why?!) and I was tired of compatibility problems.

Artem [PersonRank 4]

17 years ago #

I am sorry that I failed to make it clear enough, but it was a Mobile version of the reader :)

"Desktop" GMail cannot be normally used by the desktop Opera
The Google Reader Mobile cannot be used at all by Opera Mobile.

Suspicious trend, isn't it? ;)

Reto Meier [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Huh! I was all set to contradict you but wisely tried it out first! It is indeed broken in Opera Mobile. My apologies.

That said, *if* you can install 'Opera Mini' (the Java client Opera for Mobiles) Reader works really nicely in that. I didn't notice the Opera Mobile Reader failure as I've switched to using Opera Mini for all my phone browsing – Google mobile pages tend to render much better within Mini in my experience.

Artem [PersonRank 4]

17 years ago #

Mini would probably solve this particular problem. However, in general like Opera Mobile more – I wouldn't like to use different browsers for different sites. Though I am doing it already – reading Google Reader Mobile in the Nokia's built-in browser:/

Inferno [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It does not work on Nokia 6681 > Opera

Mihai Parparita [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

We've unbroken the Reader mobile interface, and it should now work in Opera again.

Mihai Parparita
Google Reader Engineer

Artem [PersonRank 4]

17 years ago #

Wow, it works again indeed! Thank you, Mihai. I somehow did not think that I might tell about the problem directly to the Google Reader team even though my own Googlers Blogs aggregator clearly says you are on the team – http://www.googlersblogs.com/search/node/reader

On the sidenote: Does this story mean that Nokia's S60 smartphones are not very popular among the Google Reader team? :)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!