Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Netscape Navigator 9 is available

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, June 7, 2007
17 years ago2,427 views

Netscape has upgraded their browser to use the Firefox 2.0 source code. Some of the interesting new features that are available include:

* URL Correction
"Navigator 9 will automatically correct common typos in URLs. For example, if you accidentally type googlecom, Navigator will fix it be to google.com. The browser will watch for nearly 30 different types of common mistakes and correct them for you (asking you to confirm, if you choose to enable confirmation)."

* Link Pad
"The Link Pad is a new sidebar feature that allows you to save links/URLs that you want to visit later without cluttering your bookmarks. Just drag a link over the Link Pad status bar icon and drop it to save it in the Link Pad. By default, clicking on an item in the Link Pad will open it in the browser and remove it from the list, saving you the step of deleting it."

* Sidebar Mini Browser
"You've always been able to have bookmarks open in the sidebar, but we've improved this functionality and extended it to all links, not just bookmarks. Additionally, we've added a navigation toolbar to the sidebar for even easier split-screened browsing. Just right-click on a link and select "Open Link in Sidebar" to get started!"

* Resizeable Textarea
"Drag the bottom-right corners of text fields in forms to add more typing space."

It can be downloaded here:
http://browser.netscape.com/

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Ghost from the past... :)

17 years ago #

I'm shocked they are still trying to market a browser.

I tried out the Resizable text areas and it works pretty cool. But its not a feature I would use on a regular basis to warrant me switching from Firefox.

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

does anyone USE netscape?

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I'm not sure, but my friend Girlfriend worked at netscape and she told me they mainly used FF

17 years ago #

According to W3C, it's still being used by a small percentage (1.3%) of users in May 2007. The bad news is their stats merge many browsers into one category (Moz).

MOZ – The Mozilla Suite (Safari, Konqueror, Gecko, Netscape)

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

0.15% of Googlified's visitor from 5/31/2007 – 6/6/2007 uses Netscape. And one of them uses NS 4.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!