Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Help needed for a Googlebomb!

Nicole G. [PersonRank 0]

Sunday, August 8, 2004
20 years ago

Greetings! I am an undergraduate physics and astronomy major working for the National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO) in Socorro, New Mexico. The summer interns are working on a prank for our observatory involving a Googlebomb, since every astronomer I know uses Google for research. We've all done work at the Very Large Array outside of Socorro. You may remember this as the Y-shaped array of radio telescopes in the movie "Contact." Also from that movie, you may remember that the phrase "awful waste of space" was used extensively in regards to alien life on other planets. So, we have started a Googlebomb that liks to the VLA website (www.vla.nrao.edu) to the phrase awful waste of space. And after working on this for two weeks, we have gotten the page to number 3 in the search! (8/8/04). We begin to leave for the summer in a week, so we need one last push for websites that will link to the VLA webpage with the phrase "awful waste of space" and get it to number 1. If any of you reading this are actually astronomers, keep this a secret!

I would like to note that the VLA isn't really an awful waste of space. It's an amazing scientific instrument! But what better way to link two of radio astronomy's favorite tools, and have some fun in the process.

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Nicole Gugliucci [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

[moved]

Hello! I left a post over a month ago asking if anyone could help with a Google-bomb started by a group of astronomy students in New Mexico. Well, we are still pushing for websites to help us, as our site is wavering between numbers 2 and 1 on the search! All you have to do is link the website www.vla.nrao.edu to the phrase "Awful Waste of Space." Thank you!

gugnico[put at-character here]gmail.com

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!