Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Blogoscoped, Back in Google News?

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, June 13, 2007
17 years ago2,305 views

http://news.google.com/news?ie=UTF-8&hl=en&filter=0&q=gmail+powerpoint&btnG=Search

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I thought it was always in Google New, Philipp just check the posts he wants to give to Google News... isn't it?

Reto Meier [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]TOMHTML: Nope, news is fully automated.

Blogoscoped was originally in News but got dropped (as well as a bunch of other news-worthy blogs). At the time the reasons given (I think!) included was a lack of editorial oversight / multiple reporters. I daresay Philipp's inclusion of guest posts means Blogoscoped now passes the guidelines. Which is excellent news.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I can confirm that Google Blogoscoped has recently been accepted back into Google News after being dropped last year:

http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2006-09-26-n25.html

(Ionut, that link just returns "No related articles were found." for me. What should it show?)

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I changed the link.

17 years ago #

Now I see it. Interesting that this time the source is "Google Blogoscoped" rather than "Outer Court" which is much better. However, it's weird that Advanced Search says neither of these news sources exist...

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

So, except Philipp and I, who else has his blog in Google News here? Ionut maybe?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

You can also confirm this by doing a [site:blog.outer-court.com] or [source:google_blogoscoped] search in Google News. I filed another inclusion request recently and this time, thanks to the help of many of you (like Tony Ruscoe, who blogged here a lot while I was on vacation, but also all who send tips!), Google considered this to be a multi-author news site, not a single-author news site (they don't accept single-author sites).

And both Tom and Reto are correct: News is automated, but I (and everyone with access to the blog editor) do flag those posts that are supposed to be crawled by Google News. The reason is two-fold: I want to prevent parody or fiction and the like to be crawled by Google News, and also, Google News doesn't accept articles which are on a shared page along with other posts. Google News actually crawls this page instead of the frontpage:
http://blogoscoped.com/articles.html

(However, this doesn't mean that every article from that page makes it into Google News – for some reasons I don't know, sometimes articles aren't making it into Google News.)

17 years ago #

<< You can also confirm this by doing a [site:blog.outer-court.com] or [source:google_blogoscoped] search in Google News. >>

In which case, the "News source" field in Advanced News Search doesn't seem to be working for Google Blogoscoped. It seems Google must have some kind of source directory which it maps to an identifier – i.e. [New York Times] becomes [new_york_times] – and that's not been updated to include Google Blogoscoped yet.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Weird, I figured the algorithm was just to replace certain special characters with underscores, something for which you wouldn't need a database...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!