Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Ensuring Google Knows It's Your Content  (View post)

mrbene [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, June 13, 2007
17 years ago5,418 views

Does Google really care? Their stated mission is to index the worlds information. Providing links to sites that have consolidated information from other sites is completely acceptable (think Wikipedia), and linking to sites that automatically scrape information from other sites doesn't interfere with that mission, either. Plus doing so supports online advertising, which is (by far) the primary source of income for Google.

Providing a method for webmasters to take action to identify themselves as the primary source of the content matches the expectations Google has set in dealing with books, Youtube video, and most recently Streets.

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

>> Providing links to sites that have consolidated information from other sites is completely acceptable (think Wikipedia)

This is not always true. When done in the spirit of fair use or where something like a Creative Commons license permitting sharing is being used it might be fine, but often the scraper sites are operating without paying any attention to whether the content is copyrighted/protected.

Promoting the scraper sites in that instance, especially when the originator of the content is at a lower rank, cannot be a fair outcome. Currently this hasn't happened in a large way so there haven't been a lot of complaints. And that's probably because they're already doing things to prevent that on a large scale.

Susan Geraeds [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I actually did a blog post about that same subject a few days ago. This post regards the problem of syndicated content in the form of affiliate programs. The urls in this case would include a parameter that identifies the affiliate. At the moment, my solution is to exclude these pages from being indexed using a noindex tag.

The problem arises however when people link to the url on your domain with the affiliate id attached. What happens to the popularity of that content, which is a duplicate of another page on your domain without the affiliate id.

My idea is the introduction of a tag to identify the original content. A bit as if it were the opposite of the nofollow tag: a tag to say: you found this content, but the original version is at this other url on the same domain.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

> you found this content, but the original version is
> at this other url on the same domain.

The problem is that many scrapers won't care to include this tag (or might go ahead and remove it if you sneak it in the data source, e.g. in your RSS feed...).

> Does Google really care? Their stated mission is to
> index the worlds information.

Their mission is also to make the information useful, and I think the source of a story is more useful, at least to some people (like journalists, who like to see the source...)

Susan Geraeds [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

> The problem is that many scrapers won't care to include this tag

I agree, but at least it would resolve duplicate content issues within the same domain. It's a start...

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]mrbene

For example, if you write which, coupled with research, takes several hours of your time. You publish it but before you know it a blogger has copied your text in its entireity without mentioning you at all. How will Google know who wrote the content?

You deserve the ad clicks from all the people who find your article through Google, but say the blogger has the better ranking and gets above you in the SERPS, he rakes it in through the ads on his blog which is actually your content.

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Do not like copy. Hate same post in different titles. If like some articles, just links in blog ok.

For the content copy, I have some plans and ways. Just need to make these ways and plan easy to operat.

Keno [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Great tutorial.

Tim [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

excellent!-

vikyi [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Big thanx to webmaster!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!