Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Top 3 Silliest Things in Windows Today

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

Monday, August 9, 2004
19 years ago

1. After several times of copying something to the clipboard, I will be asked if I really want to copy something to the clipboard.

2. Menus start to disappear if you don't use them for a while.

3. The search dog.

Got more?

bernard [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

we're asked to click the 'start' button to stop using windows

justin [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

i gave up on windows over 3 years ago and switched to a linux desktop.

boy am i glad i did that... and no annoyances whatsoever.

Nate [PersonRank 5]

19 years ago #

The recycle bin. What's recycling have to do with deleting computer files?

Pierre [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

The bugs you never understand,the many slowdowns
Why doesn't anyone create a user friendly system,free,open source and that is fully compatible with Windows?

Tim [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

Pierre,

My best guess as to why not is that the current Windows XP etc. is tens of millions of lines of code. There will never be something completely compatible.

We are stuck with Windows and Linux it appears for some time.

19 years ago #

But as the Operating System slowly moves away from the local desktop and onto the web application, Windows annoyances will matter less and less. E.g. I switched from an Outlook Express/ Hotmail combination to Gmail only, which is fine (especially as I can use it from anywhere).

Nate [PersonRank 5]

19 years ago #

I think the fact that Win XP SP2 is less secure than SP1 is pretty silly.

Pierre [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

What percentage of codelines is changed in every new version of Windows?

Taz [PersonRank 1]

19 years ago #

1. It's legal. This is silly. It shouldn't be legal... would you be able to sell a car with door locks that don't work and that crashes randomly by itself? Don't think so... so why is Windows legal?

2. "My" computer, "my" documents... look real silly on a public computer.

3. IE is integrated.

4. Bill Gates looks like a frigging clown.

Taz [PersonRank 1]

19 years ago #

BTW I use Linux.

Ades [PersonRank 6]

19 years ago #

"There are unused icons on your desktop."

I really wonder why they have this warning. So silly and funny. I have already disabled it, but the first time i saw I laughed a lot.

19 years ago #

Ades, agreed. I wonder who came up with this feature, and why? It's certainly a wrong solution, but it might point at the fact the whole desktop metaphor (name something, and stick it in a folder) is completely unintuitive for many tasks (I don't know how to name either the file, or the folder, for most of what I do – I just want it to disappear smoothly and bring it back in something resembling search).

Anthony Pennington [PersonRank 3]

19 years ago #

I was just talking to my friend and we were both saying that we would love to try out a different OS (other than WinDoze).

The thing that makes me not want to switch, and I think many people, is the concept of having to learn hwo to use an entire OS from scratch. Many people have grown up with windows. It is our security blanket.

*Someday* I will liberate myself, someday.

19 years ago #

Another big issue is the lock-in factor that has been created by the Redmond guys – you can't simply switch even if you want to, because so many people rely on Windows and Windows feature and a Windows setting (office documents, browsers, development) that you might not have all the replacements.

amitklal [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

Window silliest system for networking system.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!