Google Blogoscoped

Forum

FireFox Restore Session + Google Docs Bug

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, June 20, 2007
17 years ago2,217 views

Lastnight there was an intense storm where my office is located, and there was a power outage. I thought there was no problem, but got a report from a coworker of some major changes that he made to once of our google docs. I looked at it, and didn't see anything but thought nothing of it until a few hours later when he started panicking because all the changes that he made were gone.

Well, through much thought, here is what we think happened :
I left Google Docs up on my computer when I went home, and then he made changes. For some reason the changes were never updated to my screen. When the power went out, my computer shut down. So in the morning when I turned on the computer Firefox politely asks if I would like to restore my session. When I do this, it recreates the Google Doc as it was when my computer shut off and restores the connection to Google. Google detects that my document was just created, and overwrites the document on the server. Voila, all changes made after I left were lost.

Fortunatly, they were all in the revision history so we were able to recreate them, but this sure is an interesting edge case bug.

I imagine with the sleep mode that is now pushed much more heavily with windows Vista, this may become more of a problem.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!