Google Blogoscoped

Forum

New Referrals. At what cost?

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

Friday, May 5, 2006
18 years ago3,256 views

Google offers new referrals for AdSense... http://adsense.blogspot.com/2006/05/new-referrals-for-google-pack-and.html

But how does Google actually make money from this? As far as I can see they don't. Although it does mean people install their software. It may be profitable in the long run(with people clicking on ads etc), but isn't it a bit of a gamble?

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I'd agree. It is. Especially since the products which they are advertising through this program are completely ad free as far as am aware.

This is a lot of money to spend on increasing "stickiness".

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I'm suprised google hasn't allowed other companies to get in on this. Like letting apple have referrals etc.. maybe this will come

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Well they do Firefox, although this is through Firefox-Google's "special relationship".

Once you start getting more companies involved the difference between the referrals and the ads decreases I think. The only remaining difference would be that for referrals you get more money & in referrals the user has to sign up / download / use.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

> But how does Google actually make money from this?

Good question. Maybe they write it off as ad budget expenses?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!