16 years ago55,198 views

http://i21.tinypic.com/4vl7bs.gif

New popup for contacts

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I'm seeing this link too!

TKDWILSON [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

That Browse button is NOT redundant. Imagine this. You compose a huge email. Now you want to decide who needs to get it. You can not remember. You need to look through your contacts to figure it out. You can type names but you need to open a NEW window to look through your contacts and choose which ones to add. It is horrible. I hated that Gmail has not had that button. I love the look of the new contacts too. It is the little things that I have always wanted in Gmail. Now, for Reader integration natively, ability to send files through chat in gmail, ability to do audio/video chat in gtalk through gmail, unlimited storage (like everyone else), ability to customize the gmail page like igoogle, cleaner interface like gmail superclean, multiple star attachments (this email is a 5 star priority that one is a 2 star), search by partial email address *girl[put at-character here]yahoo.com etc, save searches natively, offline client, etc. lol. Yeah, I think a lot of what I would like different if I had the option. Amazingly, Gmail has finished like half of my old list. Gmail is the best!

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

> That Browse button is NOT redundant

TK: It's not a browse for contacts button, but a file browse button to add an attachment. But as I tried to emphasize it only looks redundant on the surface, and I don't know why it has been included as I can't interact with the new version yet to find out why it might make sense. Perhaps it's also something unrelated, though Drew told me he disabled his Better Gmail extension for the screenshots...

Jason Holmes [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I have this on my new Gmail account but oddly not on my older accounts...looks great so far though!

16 years ago #

I should note, I don't have a link to "Newer Version" but a link to switch back to the "Older Version". There are a number of changes to my account including the new contacts interface

16 years ago #

What other changes do you see Jason?

Andy Wong [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

The UI of address book is changed to a conventional one like MS Outlook's. Is this really good move in long run? Though it might be more compatible with other address book programs, and client programs that need address book. What's the strategy behind such change?

Kirby Witmer [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I see it too in one of my accounts.

16 years ago #

Some of the changes i've noticed are:

– Turning chat off brings up a search box that allows you to put in a contacts name and it will bring up the options to mail them, view recent conversations and to view their profile. Clicking on View Profile does nothing however at this point. You can also just write an email address in and then select the link it creates to bring up the compose message screen.

- By default the rich formatting options are no longer there, you have to select the link for them to be shown.

- Hovering over a persons name/email address now gives you a pop up box with options such as Email / Chat (or invite to chat), contact details, recent conversations, etc.

- The contacts section is much cleaner and more efficient now as you can see from your screen shots. The only issue I have with it is that there is no large "Compose" button or something. The only way to compose to a person on the contacts list is to select their name and then click their email address on their profile. Same amount of clicks but a top compose button would be better in my opinion.

Haven't noticed anything else really yet, but overall I like the changes so far.

16 years ago #

Notice the two slightly different urls for each version.

http://mail.google.com/mail/#inbox – old version

http://mail.google.com/mail/?shva=1#inbox – new version

Callum Prentice [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I don't know if it's related but today GMail displayed a warning message on the front page about Firebug and how it can reduce performance. Clicking the warning takes you to a page with instructions on how to disable or configure Firebug.

16 years ago #

<Plus, Drew says he can’t hide the chat anymore.>

It gives me additional options for the size of the chat list, tiny, small, medium, or large.

16 years ago #

The turn off chat option is at the bottom of the page as it always was. Once taken away it leaves a search box in chats place which allows you to search for contacts or compose to new contacts.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

TKDWILSON [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't understand. I am excited to see what it is for then. :-)

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Oh, that really works :) I didn't have the link in my gmail, but I click on the link in the article and I've got a new gmail with new contact manager...

16 years ago #

[Update: Thanks to Tony, I can now access an account to test the new version, too. More screenshots follow in the posts.]

Charles [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

/craps pants

16 years ago #

(and now I always get a new version, whenever I log in into gmail)

16 years ago #

<< By default the rich formatting options are no longer there, you have to select the link for them to be shown. >>

I'm still seeing rich text formatting by default, and in the same place, perhaps because I had it switched on already.

<< It gives me additional options for the size of the chat list, tiny, small, medium, or large. >>

Same here, including the option to sign out of chat but still keep in there. And I can still load the version without chat.

Also, there's a new "More Actions" menu which allows you to "Filter messages like these". If you select multiple messages with the same subject, it auto-completes a filter using the from email addresses and subject line. Pretty good start, although it doesn't seem to do fuzzy matching (for example, if the subjects all begin with the same thing like they often do for groups).

16 years ago #

One update that i'd like to see that hasn't been implemented yet – the removal of that damn "BETA" tag!

16 years ago #

I don't get it with any links :(

16 years ago #

Gmail Chat contact bobbles are completely redesigned,
Google Calendar notifications now have a special icon...

16 years ago #

Hadn't even noticed that "More Actions" menu Tony, thanks – looking better and better!

16 years ago #

Now it also has account's name in the title

16 years ago #

Someone submitted it to digg.

http://digg.com/tech_news/Gmail_2_0_Screenshots

digg on. ;)

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

>> It gives me additional options for the size of the chat list, tiny, small, medium, or large.

I've had more settings for the Gmail Chat on some accounts for a few days (none on Gmail v2).

16 years ago #

"Attach a file option" is now much more visible and has has an icon now...

16 years ago #

> The turn off chat option is at the bottom of the page as
> it always was.

Jason, when I try it with 2.0, like Drew, I also do not see the "standard with chat | standard without chat". Instead I see "standard | turn on chat" (or "turn off chat", depending), but that doesn't seem to completely hide the chat box in Gmail as with the 1.0 version...

Alex [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Any chance of the UK seeing these changes before the New Year?

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I think this is a great improvement. Very very quick. hopefully we'll see some more new features. I always liked the GUI so I'm glad they've kept most of it.

Pau Tomàs [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I got it in a new account but not in the old one, weird.

I noticed that there's no Add Event Info link when composing a message, they forget it or its a signal of more integration with Calendar in some other way?.

16 years ago #

>> Any chance of the UK seeing these changes before the New Year?

Alex, I'm in the UK but I'm using the US English language setting.

16 years ago #

>Jason, when I try it with 2.0, like Drew, I also do not see the "standard with >chat | standard without chat". Instead I see "standard | turn on chat" (or >"turn off chat", depending), but that doesn't seem to completely hide the >chat box in Gmail as with the 1.0 version...

On mine when chat is off it leaves a small box with my name at the top and below in the box is "Search, add, or invite". This can be used to just quickly look up contacts, etc as I mentioned above. It also can be made larger by click the arrow which allows you to sign into chat but doesn't show your contacts list. Not sure if thats what you guys are getting but I see it as a nice new feature to quickly find and compose mail to contacts without having to go to the contacts screen.

16 years ago #

I made a new account and this was enabled. Schweet

Alex [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

That's good news! I hope it gets to Google apps soon too since the contacts format has been one gripe I've always had with Gmail. Two questions:

1) Can you turn off the automatic save of contacts to people you send to?
2) Any sign of Birthdays?

16 years ago #

"More Actions" menu also not isn't HTML <option> element anymore, it's some DHTML thingy. I don't like this one.

Gyulus [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

New also:
If you click on any label, the browser URL field also changes like this:
https://mail.google.com/mail/?shva=1#label/Forwards
So you can enter directly into a Label, as a custom startpage of your Gmail.

Another one:
in the topright Reply menu on an open mail there is a new "Filter messages like this" menuitem.

And:
The "More actions" dropdown is not a common form select field anymore, it is a designed dhtml thing.

16 years ago #

Alex the automatic contacts are still there but its not nearly as annoying now that it shows all your groups listed as well.

One problem I have been having a few times already is that when selecting contacts it stays on the Inbox and I get a big empty blue box at the bottom of the page. Once this happens no other links work except sign out. Signing out and back in resolves the problem but its annoying and has already happened 3 times. I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.8.

16 years ago #

In Gmail Chat the bar with person's name turns orange in both poped-in and poped-out windows.

16 years ago #

Also, there's a new format for exporting contacts:

* vCard format (for importing into Address Book or other applications).

MarWi [PersonRank 3]

16 years ago #

Anyone with a Google Apps account have this already?

16 years ago #

> "More Actions" menu also not isn't HTML <option> element
> anymore, it's some DHTML thingy.

I also just noticed this. Though I don't suppose it makes a big difference at that point as Gmail is kind of beyond accessibility anyway, at least in its advanced version. The "basic HTML" version still has a normal select box. The "basic HTML" version is actually quite usable (which is kinda telling... because it also suddenly supports opening links in new windows, back button anywhere etc., lots of neat features!)... except for lack of auto-completion in addresses.

Now that they have complete power over that dropdown box – I suppose that was the idea of turning it into a DHTML box – I wonder why they don't "ghost" menu entries that don't make sense in a specific context though. E.g. if you select no message, you can still expand the menu and click a label to apply it, only to get the warning message "No conversation selected". Menu ghosting was invented specifically for that situation, to show that there is an entry, but to indicate that it's inactive right now, and so that it won't allow you to focus it.

Alex [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Nice! But when I sync with my phone (via outlook first) I guess I still need to first go through my contacts and delete all the unsubsribe[put at-character here]whatever.coms.

Have you seen any of these things? http://blogs.zdnet.com/Google/?p=750

16 years ago #

<< Now that they have complete power over that dropdown box... >>

I was expecting to be able to filter that list of labels in the drop down. Right now, if you've got lots of labels, finding one right at the bottom can be a pain. If you could just click the "More actions" box and start typing, that would be much better.

These updates definitely seem to have focused on contact management.

DaveB [PersonRank 3]

16 years ago #

FYI – if anyone is using the "Better Gmail" Firefox extension there seems to be a conflict. I couldn't get the new contacts page to come up until I disabled this extension.

16 years ago #

> Have you seen any of these things?
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/Google/?p=750

Hmm, no, can't seem to see Gears, or the other things mentioned by Garett... but maybe Gears is being developed somewhere, but just not part of this controlled test rollout...

16 years ago #

> FYI – if anyone is using the "Better Gmail" Firefox extension there seems
> to be a conflict. I couldn't get the new contacts page to come up until I
> disabled this extension.

I was thinking about that... probably a lot of extensions or programs (mailplane for example) which use GMail will stop working... poor developers :)

16 years ago #

In fact, and looking at the HTML code is a little more difficult to create Greasemonkey scripts for GMail since there are a lot of cryptic classnames and very few node identifiers.

Zim [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Wow
I want it! But I can't see it yet :(

prattmic [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

And I still don't have IMAP... :(

fraser [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I still don't have IMAP yet either.... i am not sure what the hold up is!

Brock [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I have IMAP ... but only in some limited purposes accounts I have, not in my "main" gmail account that all the mail gets forwarded to. :-[ Grrr.

fraser [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

How long will we have to wait for these to roll out?

orangejack [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

New version? I'm still waiting for my IMAP! :(

SQ89 [PersonRank 3]

16 years ago #

I got the new version by default and I'm 70% happy now.

Zack [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

for those havent get the IMAP rolled/newer Gmail, change ur Language settings to English (US)... I am sure Gmail will be updated after u refresh ur page. Thats what i did.

William Tildesley [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Yep, I'm getting the new version too, I must say it's much sleeker looking that the older version and the contacts 'pane' is much better than the older one – is google rolling this out to everyone now?

Google Tutor Jr. [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

The new contacts look great, and I can't wait to get my hands on the new UI too. I think this is another "beta life cycle" that the Gmail is going to undergo. Rolling out and testing features like it was 2004 again. But it would be a lot faster this time since they already have a baseline to start with, specially with the UI. While I have no serious gripes with the current, UI, it looks really "flat" to me, and with the advances of the other two competitors in the looks division, I'm hoping Gmail will also improve its overall appearance. I kinda like the gradient in the pop-up of the profile as seen on Luka's screenshot above.

paula [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I don't even have IMAP yet, let alone the 2.0 version of Gmail.. sigh

Stan [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I have IMAP, but can't get 2.0. I've tried signing in and out, and wiping ALL my cookies from Firefox. NOTHING! It's not fair. :`(

mahir chechen [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

i have two gmail accounts
ones a hosted account and ones a bog standard @gmail.com

i dont even have imap on the gmail account but i have imap on the hosted account

is there any way of getting the new ui on the hosted account?
how would i write the url?

mj [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

"and I can't wait to get my hands on the new UI too"

Is it confirmed that a new UI is coming? Or is the the full extent of the upgrades/changes?

Keith Chan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

The new version looks great, can't wait to test it out. ... though I still don't have IMAP ... forget it.

Luka [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2007/10/code-changes-to-prepare-gmail-for.html

It will be possible to bookmark search result or important mails for a quicker access.

They also say that new features will be easier to add in the future...

Justin Kates [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I have the IMAP, no version 2.0 though :-(

Zac [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Storage has increased. I had 2-point-something before and now have 4487 Mbytes with the new UI

MW [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Any sign of a preview panel, or do we still need to use that Greasmonkey script.

16 years ago #

How about the search function, anyone tried it out? Any difference?

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

So going to https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2 while i was logged in didn't do anything but when i signed out and tried that same url again and logged in through that page, gmail loaded with the url http://mail.google.com/mail/?shva=1 which as Kirby pointed out, should be the new UI, but nopthing is changed

janice v [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

it loads slower, and i'm hating the fact that i can't hide the chat box on the right column as i could with the old version.

debjyoti das [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

WHen I try to open the new version link it redirects me to the same old page at https://mail.google.com/mail/

:-?? Wondering

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I'm still getting the old version too :(

toml [PersonRank 6]

16 years ago #

me either. I starting to be bored by google. It's takes so much time for everthing. I don't have IMAP, so i think i have to wait next 2 weeks or more for IMAP and gmail 2.0

justinf [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

you made the front page of reddit.com Philip.
well done.

Jay [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

2.0 Probably is better, but why wasn't there anything implemented from the "Better Gmail"-plugin, like html-signatures or other handy things?

CureHunter [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Google has officially re-defined the meaning of "beta"...
it now means "sorry if we delete your data"

16 years ago #

This part is interesting:

"One side effect of this change is that if you're using third-party Gmail extensions, they're likely to stop working. We've contacted a number of the developers behind some popular extensions and provided them with an opportunity to create fixes, so check back with them for updates. We're sorry that it may be a bit of a inconvenience, but we're trying to make this change as smooth as possible."

Previously some people fired that using third-part Gmail extensions may be against Gmail Term of Service and may even make your account shout down. I guess not...

16 years ago #

Cool!

16 years ago #

<< Previously some people fired that using third-part Gmail extensions may be against Gmail Term of Service and may even make your account shout down. I guess not... >>

I think it depends what the extensions do. In the past, I think it's extensions which have made too many requests in a specific small time period that have got accounts suspended.

Search-Engines-Web.com [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[Moved from "Gmail Updated Features for FireFox 2 & IE 7" – Tony]

http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2007/10/code-changes-to-prepare-gmail-for.html

...the Gmail team has been working on a structural code change that we'll be rolling out to Firefox 2 and IE 7 users over the coming weeks (with other browsers to follow). You won't notice too many differences to start with, but we're using a new model that enables us to iterate faster and share components (we now use the same rich text editor as Groups and Page Creator, and the Contact Manager can be seen in several Google apps). A few other things you will notice are some new keyboard shortcuts and the ability to bookmark specific messages and email searches.

We have also been fanatical about speed. Even on a fast Internet connection, it can take a second to request and render a new web page, and when you read a lot of mail, these seconds can accumulate to hours waiting for email to load. We've spent a lot of time profiling all parts of the application, shaving milliseconds off wherever we can, and figuring out workarounds for some pretty deep-rooted issues with the current browser implementations. Some of the most common actions should be faster now

Ryan Joseph [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

How about giving us the ability to insert pictures from PicasaWeb directly into the message? The insert image functionality is something that Gmail sorely needs.

David [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Does the new contacts have a way to flag email addresses as old or obsolete? This is needed to keep someone's emails all together as they change addresses over time, yet not use the old addresses for auto-complete where composing.

getvideoclips.blogspot.com [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I dont get this feature yet

none @ none [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I'd like to be able to merge two messages from gmail... often a RE: gets in a thread and I have two message threads when there should be one. How hard can it be to merge two threads; they all have time stamps!

On the same note, why not split a message! Often I come to a point in a thread where the topic meanders, or i get into a private discussion. Should I take the effort and compose a new message when a reply box is right there? no, that isn't as productive. Split isn't a difficult feature either.

I'd also like to be able to find messages that aren't in an label... doing a long search with -label:... etcetera actually doesn't work! I get messages that I thought I excluded! When i first started using gmail, i didn't like the labels, I don't know why. But since then I've OCD'ed in labelling everything and clicking 'see next 50', 40times to make sure everything is labelled.

These things just seem basic extensions to the features that exist. you want to put everything with labels instead of folders? Ok, What's not in a folder? You want to thread messages? Well, why can't I split and merge on that same token? These things are obvious relatively easy improvements that would make this application so much more usable.

16 years ago #

<< On the same note, why not split a message! Often I come to a point in a thread where the topic meanders, or i get into a private discussion. Should I take the effort and compose a new message when a reply box is right there? >>

You've always been able to do this. Simply click the "Edit Subject" and you'll be able to enter a new subject which will also split the thread for both you and the recipient.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[OT] but not so OT

why does gmailv1.0 still have the "invite a friend" section with a count of invites still there ?

afterall gmail is open for everyone correct ??

Rohit Srivastwa [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]/pd
Its open for everyone, but STILL if you want to invite a friend of yours who is not so tech savvy & don't know about gmail yet.
Google doesn't want to take a chance. See its still in beta :)

DaveB [PersonRank 3]

16 years ago #

There are still many improvements that could be made, but overall this is a very good improvement to the contact management portion of Gmail!

Would like to see more standard input fields such as Birthday (and then link it to calendar) and website.

Working with groups is much easier, and the print & export features work well.

RoxyJ [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I just noticed I can access the New Version. Actually, I noticed the new version because my Better Gmail extension and other goodies weren't working. That's driving me crazy!

When I click on contacts......I get a blank page. Other than that, i don't see much change.

MarWi [PersonRank 3]

16 years ago #

Still don't have the new version on my Apps Account... Grrr... At least, I got IMAP...

16 years ago #

Oddly enough the old accounts seem to be the one's that are taking longest to change. I have a new account thats a couple weeks old which has had all changes immediately and signing up for a new account also gives you the new features. My primary account however which i've had since Gmail rolled out, has not yet been updated.

My guess is that Google is working on the bugs and making sure stuff works in a controlled roll-out to relatively new members to make sure things are running smoothly by the time it gets to the long time users.

RyanR [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I don't know. I been with Gmail since the begginig and I do not have any of the new features. Why is it Google so slow to implement them for everybody at the same time and why are the loyal users left behind :-(

Pandinosauria [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

It looks fine.

J. McNair [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Funny, my OLDEST and primary Google account (EARLY 2005) is the only one that has switched over. Then again, that account has the least storage used and got IMAP pretty quickly too (only ~200 MB used so far).

Loading speed is iffy. The initial load is always 1-2 seconds longer for me (Firefox 2.0.0.8). Sometimes I trigger a weird bug and things stop working. So the prefetching improvement is a mixed bag.

Switching between messages in the same folder (using Newer/Older) is Outlook fast, though.

Love the bigger buttons for Email/Chat/More.

Love the consistent browser Back/Forward button behavior.

I see filtering hasn't improved (*grumble*), but the new Contact gadget is much better. I would like a "select All/None" quick check box for the contact list. I've been spoiled by it in my inbox. And yes, I called it a gadget because eventually it will BE a gadget across all Google services. They said as much.

Can't wait to see what they build on this new base. Classic Gmail (1.x) ultimately gave us quite a robust feature set in a friendly and usable interface. Good on you Google for not throwing the baby out with the bathwater in developing GMail 2.x.

RoxyJ [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Ryan – I've been using Gmail since the beginning as well. I guess I got......lucky.....if that's what you want to call it.

My contacts are still not working in the New version. Annoying.

dREWBANGER [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

For those of you getting blank screens when trying to access Contacts in Firefox, make sure you disable the Better Gmail extension because that is the cause. Once it's disabled and you restart your browser, Contacts should work.

Voyagerfan5761 [PersonRank 3]

16 years ago #

I haven't gotten anything new, IMAP or new UI. A user on one of the Gmail user groups on Google Groups suggested that Google rolls out alphabetically, perhaps by username. Since I'm a V, it'll be a while... I can't wait, though. Here's to hoping Gmail Macros is updated by the time I get the new UI.

16 years ago #

<< A user on one of the Gmail user groups on Google Groups suggested that Google rolls out alphabetically, perhaps by username. >>

Interesting theory but I don't think it's true. Not unless there's also something which excludes updates for usernames with dots in them.

16 years ago #

I reckon its more likely down to which datacentre your main account details are stored in. That makes more sense really (if they do a dc at a time).

16 years ago #

From InformationWeek:
<<A Google spokeswoman said the new look has been made available to about 1% of all Gmail users and is being rolled out to the rest on an ongoing basis.>>

And, on another issue:
<<She also said the upgrade isn't being called Gmail 2.0.>>
http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=202800313

Isn't being called 2.0? Perhaps not officially to the press... but internally, two indicators seem to suggest it may indeed be called that:
1. "Gmail 2.0" was mentioned in Google's internal company goals last year (perhaps, or perhaps not related to this upcoming release)
2. the URL when you switch to it reads "mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2", hinting at a version number 2.

16 years ago #

Maybe the full Gmail v2 will roll out with Google's Maka-Maka social layer. I would have thought that Gmail v2 would have a different design to be honest.

peekay [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Gmail 2.0 breaks Gmail Manager FF Extension:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=332634&postdays=0&postorder=asc&postsperpage=15&start=1215

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]peekay: As Google stated in the Gmail Blog the new version breaks every almost extension/app based on Gmail that relay on the HTML/JS code.

Dusan Belic [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I only hope they will allow us to have some form of "Saved replies" that would help business answer the same question on and on.

Nick Chirchirillo [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

For those of you that want the new version, but don't want to wait for GMail to officially give it to you, just goto http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2 and you will get the new version in your account. It will add the "Older Version" link next to Settings, and you can easily switch between the two. One thing is that if you have the Conversation Preview greasemonkey script, the new Contacts module won't work...it will just give you a white screen.

Also, at the original post, you can turn off chat, they just changed how to
"Gmail view: standard | turn off chat | basic HTML"

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

That URL doesn't work if the new version is not enabled for your account.

16 years ago #

http://blogoscoped.com/forum/112687.html#id112935
Great, I'd be last!

bruno afonso [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Doesn't make sense. I'm a b and don't even have imap. I've been using gmail for years. Maybe accounts w/ >2gig aren't updated as fast... I have another that has been updated. :)

Danny [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Here is some:

http://kemal.bioeng-network.org/2007/10/30/gmails-news-interface/

[URL fixed – Tony]

Mat Wellint [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Hi, I've a gmail account but have not seen anything yet... Just a question for the lucky ones: is it now possible to store the contact's birthday or anniversary? Integration with google calendar would just be the thing... :-)

Sean D [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I didn't know I had it until I saw this page, but, I've been using it already since at the top of mine I had 'older version'. Looks the same to me, at least for the features I use.

16 years ago #

Hey, i've got IMAP now! :D

Matt B [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I don't see anythign for birthday/contacts, but it looks like you can chat with AIM, Yahoo, and other IM clients via the gmail interface. I need to investigate further.

Nick Chirchirillo [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

"That URL doesn't work if the new version is not enabled for your account."
My apologies, but I must ask, how do you know if it has been enabled? I would have assumed that they would enable it and give you the option to switch to the old version, but I did not have that link until I went to that URL...

gman [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

A birthday field is a very basic, yet important, field and it's upsetting to see that Gmail still does not have it. Just about every other contact manager has that field. To make Gmail Contacts stand out, it would integrate birthdays with Google Calendar.

Si [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

ive got it i think thats because i was one fo the first beta testers

Rich Ranallo [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

"My apologies, but I must ask, how do you know if it has been enabled? I would have assumed that they would enable it and give you the option to switch to the old version, but I did not have that link until I went to that URL..."

I didn't know it was active on my account until I clicked that link, either, mainly because I still had a browser window open with the old version. That might have been the case with you as well.

Rich Ranallo [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

From Matt B:
"I don't see anythign for birthday/contacts, but it looks like you can chat with AIM, Yahoo, and other IM clients via the gmail interface. I need to investigate further."

Where are you seeing that functionality? It'd be pretty cool to have all my chats in the browser window.

Aaron M [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I noticed that I've been upgraded to "GMail 2.0" as well, although I thought it was just a way Leopard generated Firefox drop down menus. I guess it was a Google change and not an Apple Leopard upgrade thing.

One of the things I noticed is that the speed has been (greatly) improved. I say that in paranthesis because overall speed is still about the same. The difference is that in GMail 1.0, browsing GMail would cause my Firefox to lock up for several seconds (the Apple beachball rolling around). This would often be extremely annoying as I couldn't do anything in Firefox while it locked up. I have not seen GMail lock up a single time since I have been upgraded!

cbmeeks [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Still looks like total shit.

It may work very well but it looks like shit. Can they not hire a decent design team to provide something that looks good?

Look at Yahoo's new format. Looks great (minus the ads).

cbmeeks

Nimdae [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I'm more interested in the IMAP connector than a new interface, and I haven't even gotten that. I don't have much mail stored, but I use the account daily and have had it for years. Not sure what their method for rollout is, but I'd personally like to see a complete rollout of something before starting the next item.

Zim [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Nimdae: GMail is a HUGE e-mail service, it's distributed over many computers. Upgrading is not as easy as replacing a PHP script or something like that!
Also, think about the problems of a big migration: if something goes wrong, then every user is going to have problems! However, if you add features little by little you can easily spot and isolate problems before they are big problems.
Having two new features being rolled out is better than one, because we (the users) want to have the better experience available. So I see no reason to wait for the first feature to be fully implemented to start deploying the second one.

By the way, I have IMAP too now, but I can't see the switch to the new version yet.

16 years ago #

Like I said earlier, anyone wishing to test out the new version only has to sign up for a new account to take a look at it – they get it automatically. I still have not had my primary account thats a few years old updated yet but did get IMAP and most of the other features/updates they've added on the initial rollout day so I guess its my turn to be last in line on this one...

Alan Smith [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I just signed up for a new account – but with the same old Gmail interface. Jason's suggestion doesn't work.

16 years ago #

Worked for me! Make sure you choose US English

16 years ago #

I've signed up for 5 different accounts to re-check it for you Alan and got the new one every single time. I also had two accounts that were about two weeks old, they were also updated immediately when the update was available. The only two accounts that haven't updated for me are my two accounts that I actually use and are both 3+ years old.

Dmitri [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

"Plus, Drew says he can’t hide the chat anymore."

Turning chat on/off option is at the bottom of the screen:
[Gmail view: standard | turn on chat | basic HTML]
The new version didn't transfer that particular preference from the old settings though, hence the apparent confusion.

mrbene [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Got upgraded to the new interface – at least, the "Older Version" link along my menu bar leads me to believe this is the case. Firefox now detects the Chat pop-ups as pop-ups, and tries to block them, where this wasn't the case in the previous version.

inconspicuous [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I've gotten the IMAP functionality on 2 of 4 accounts, but I don't yet have the Gmail 2.0 new version on any. ... so sad...

mrbene [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Went through the new UI for a bit. It does feel more responsive. However, there are some problems:
The new Contact interface requires more clicks to make changes to existing contacts. It no longer supports custom "section" names. It reduces the amount of real-estate for each contact. The 'Picasa Web Albums' option for custom pics does not provide any failure message when no images are returned. Images are updated in a different location to the rest of the contact information.
The new Contacts UI has more interactive elements closer to the edge of the screen. "Select: all,none" for contacts is at the very bottom of the screen when the UI is loaded – however, the height of the contacts UI doesn't change when the height of the browser window is changed – whereas the width does. Additionally, Contacts interface doesn't get reloaded when you click on "Contacts" a second time – a change of behavior from the earlier interface, making it inconsistent with the Inbox behavior.

That's enough for now.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I don't have Gmail 2 yet
but everyone should have it by the end of this weekend

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

also look forward to new features in gmail the near future! horrayyy

Jose [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Boring. Yahoo mail is much better, drag and drop, cleaner, .. come on google... really make this a 2.0, not this crap.

Dwain [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

cleaner? not really, a lot of annoying ads. yahoo s*****

Srini Murty [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Anyone seen the "Event Invitation" option in the new interface? Very neat. Allows one to set up a Google Calendar event, sending a meeting invite, and, of course, all connected through the Gmail interface. Very good.

Dennis [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

maybe use extjs is greate

Jason [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I got the IMAP when it came out, and found 2.0 on the account today. I keep trying to migrate over to a PIM (I am using Thunderbird right now). When IMAP was enabled, it finally made sense to stop using the web interface and make the switch to Thunderbird. But then they redo the interface, and I like it a lot!

JC John SESE Cuneta [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I have many gmail accounts spread all over different "Language" setting.

Here's how to get your gmail to have IMAP:
go to your settings
Look for "Language", and choose "English (US)"
Log-out, then Log-in again.
Try a force refresh or clean your cache and cookies for everything Google.

You should see it. If not, then your account is still waiting to be processed. They are, if I'm correct, processing accounts from the day it was created.

I say that because my gmails that were created during the closed beta of gmail have IMAP already even though only login most of those every 8 months. While those that were created almost a year ago up to recently do not have IMAP even though I switched to "Language: English(US)" already.

---

For Version 2.0, which doesn't have much except 'supposedly faster' (it's faster, but not a notch faster) and new Contacts Book (which is rumoured will be allowed for Plaxo sync in the near future – ie 2-way sync).

- You really have to wait.
As far as checking all my gmails go, version 2.0 switch is based on how frequently you use the "web-based gmail" interface. Unlike the IMAP feature.

---

If you still dont get any of the two, then there sure is other criteria which is not visible to the public.

^_^

Hope that helps.

16 years ago #

<< They are, if I'm correct, processing accounts from the day it was created. >>

That's definitely not the case, but everyone should have it enabled now anyway.

<< ... version 2.0 switch is based on how frequently you use the "web-based gmail" interface. >>

That's not true either.

Farghana [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

wow..just cant wait for the newer version to be available to me!!

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Will the new contacts manager integrate with orkut and make it easier to invite friends?

16 years ago #

>> Boring. Yahoo mail is much better, drag and drop, cleaner,
>> come on google... really make this a 2.0, not this crap.
Gmail was one of the first Web 2.0 AJAX products. IMHO, Gmail is the cleanest webmail app.

16 years ago #

And the best one yet.

They were also one of the first who thought of increasing the storage to an enormous amount. (back then of course)

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

has any other post on blogoscoped ever received this many comments?

16 years ago #

Of course.
The one with the Da Vinci Code had a lot of comments.

Let me find it.

16 years ago #

It has hundreds of posts:
http://blogoscoped.com/forum/27053-full.html

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

2389!? holy crap!

16 years ago #

Yeah i just saw the exact number.

Told ya :)

16 years ago #

The October stats look pretty interesting, partly due to a link from Slashdot pointing to the Gmails screenshots!

http://blogoscoped.com/files/gb-october-peak.png

16 years ago #

Cool! If only there was a way to embed that so we could see what's hot and (cliché alert!!!) what's not.

sunilbaglur [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

they hav neatly formated the quick contact list . today only my mail was upgraded . i hav still explore it . but i like it .by comparing it with my other mail ids like yahoo , rediff, and hotmail. i like gmail the most in its older version or newer version

Christian Smith [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

The link didn't do anything for me. Just sent me to regular ol' gmail.

16 years ago #

Hmmm. Having used it for a while now, it always seems much slower to load the initial page. Once it's loaded, it seems much faster to do the usual frequent tasks, like read emails, but much slower to open the settings page, etc. And I seem to get these alerts every so often when I try to leave Gmail:

http://ruscoe.net/blog/uploads/gmail-newer-version-alert.png

I guess they're now queuing requests rather than doing them immediately.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Tony, that message pops s if you have something that isn't saved (e.g. a draft that hasn't been autosaved yet)

Avrohom Eliezer Friedman (AEF) [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here] Phillip and Tony

"[Update: Thanks to Tony, I can now access an account to test the new version, too. More screenshots follow in the posts.]"
http://blogoscoped.com/forum/112687-full.html#id112709

My patience ran out – what's the secret?

(please don't say it's create a new account. I did that – but I want it in my account)

Ahron Shmuel [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I beleive clicking here will do it: http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2

Jared Cherup [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I just got the new version. First impressions .. it definitely takes a bit longer to initially load.

16 years ago #

>> My patience ran out – what's the secret?

There's no secret. You just need to be patient I'm afraid...

<< that message pops s if you have something that isn't saved (e.g. a draft that hasn't been autosaved yet) >>

That's not the only time it pops up. In my case, it would pop up just because I was trying to leave the page after reading a message. Or mark a message as spam or something.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I've just got it in my main account. Slow (it takes a lot of time to prefetch my messages), buggy and the contacts iframe doesn't display.

When I wrote the post about the new version, I used another account and it seemed much faster.

Mohit Ranka [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Hi, great post! Very elaborating. I happened to write to the same topic and I found your post was good.

Regards,
Mohit Ranka
thetechmag.blogspot.com

PS – I just had a exception with my Gmail 2.0, when the Internet connection was lost, and Gmail was loading someting!

[Signature URL unlinked – Tony]

16 years ago #

One of my accounts got the new version now (not yet in my main account). Same as Ionut, the Contacts frame doesn't load in Firefox (but works fine in IE though very s-l-o-w). There aren't major changes at all .. in fact on first glance, I didn't even realize I was in the new interface.

Here are a few notes from my experience:

1. Firebug doesn't work. I was asked to disable it. Wonder if they have disabled CustomizeGoogle as well (which blocks all the Google ads)

2. The new contacts manager is really handy and looking forward to the cross platform IM in Gmail (or Google Talk?)

3. Prefetching emails make browsing between emails truly speedy!

3. You can easily edit the name of your contacts and change their profile picture in the 'Chat' box.

4. When you go the 'Drafts' and click on any emails, they have rounded the corners and added shadow so that it is more consistent with the other frames.

5. You would only see the changes is the so-called GPC and Groups rich text editor when you add hyperlinks to your email. You can now test the links or add a link to email addresses rather than using the old pop-up window.

6. You Gmail address would always show up in the title of the page.

Maybe because every one is too excited about this upgrade since Gmail first launched 3 years ago, no one really felt disappointed by the fact that the new interface lacks many features that are constantly requested by users, i.e. email sorting, better search function, better integration with other Google services.

Well, on their blog, they say "[they have] a bunch more things in the works" so let's hope they will come up with some more improvements.

I hope the new version would come to my main account so I can really try things out. ;)

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

My main account has the new version when I log into gmail from my Mac laptop at home using Firefox 2.0. But if I try to check gmail from work in IE, I get the old version.

Does this mean that I have something in a cookie that allows me to access the new version at home? Since I don't have that cookie at work I can't access the new version of gmail.

16 years ago #

You should only get it in Firefox 2 and IE7? Are you using IE6 at work maybe?

Just as a note, I didn't have it five mins ago, I refreshed Gmail and I have it... finally.

16 years ago #

I got it on one of my account

First reaction: very slow, thumbs down

16 years ago #

Its different in some subtle ways, the font colours, background images, the chat box there even if turned off etc.

I'll probably get used to it though.

Pedro Moita [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I got it also. I used the view standard without chat, now it's gone. You can disable it but not hide it.

16 years ago #

I got it last night – The one thing that I love about it (and I haven't heard anybody else mention this) is that when you check spelling you could click ignore on words now so they won't constantly pop up every time (like my name and my company name and e-mail address

16 years ago #

Oh, like in Docs. (sorta)
In Docs you can add unknown words to the vocabulary.

In the new Gmail version you can only ignore these words Avrohom?

16 years ago #

I just saw that the last option on the suggested corrections when typing an e-mail is ignore. there is no add button. However it ignores it in other e-mails also. Meaning every time i sent out an E-mail I spellchecked it first and the words Avrohom and Eliezer came up as spelling mistakes. Now i clicked ignore once for those words and it didn't come up in the next e-mails also. So i guess it's like permanent ignore. The difference between this kind of ignore and add (on Word at least), is that add will use it as a suggestion if you misspell that word while ignore doesn't. (OK I just checked on docs and with the Google Toolbar spellcheck which allows you to add to dictionary and it doesn't offer it as a suggestion when you add it to the dictionary and spell a similar word wrong. So I guess it's the same as add to dictionary) Although I wish it would add it because I type a lot of Hebrew words in English and sometimes i don't know the correct spelling – so i could find out once and never have to find out again.

In FireFox you could add to dictionary through FireFox's spellchecker. But that also doesn't lit. add it.

16 years ago #

I see.
Thanks for the response :)

Max [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

You cannot remove chat and on slow Internet connection it complains about some problems even if you turn it off! And this ever lasting message "Still working" it drives me crazy. Disappointing. I switched to old version.

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

My work browser is IE 6 that is probably why I wasn't seeing the new version at work.

Rob Fuller [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Is the new contacts system actually an improvement? Other than adding some options for uploading a photo for a contact (which I think is just a gimmick anyway), they haven't given us anything new.

I would really like the contacts system to be more intuitive: eg. for there to be a simple way to identify multiple e-mail addresses as belonging to the same person. I'd also like to be able to identify one or more of a contact's e-mail addresses as defunct (so that I don't use the old address any more, but can still see messages from that address in the contact's profile).

At the moment, it seems to me as though the Gmail team are concentrating on presentation rather than functionality.

Mysterius [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Yay! I finally got the new interface!
Sorry, just had to let that out. :)

Anybody still without the new interface?
Anybody *gasp* actually switch back to the old, and why?

16 years ago #

<< Anybody still without the new interface? >>

Yes. Me :(

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

and Me

even my mom has it! why don't we???

16 years ago #

Maybe cause she bought 10 shares?
You know, she's a " favorite " now.. :P

16 years ago #

what is this MUTE
When you select a thread & go to action menu, you find this "mute".

"The conversation has been muted. Undo"

I think this will stop alerting for new mail on that thread.

16 years ago #

Rohit, you're right. That's been a hidden shortkey feature for a while now.

16 years ago #

And have you guys notices the new look of "gmail mobile".
After long I logged on to gmail on my handheld & saw this new look, its much better now.

16 years ago #

..... and another thing: why is my e-mail address now included in the title bar? That just clutters up the tab heading in Firefox.

And one last complaint: since Gmail has been open to everyone for a long time, why do I still have an "invite a friend" box on the bottom left-hand side?

16 years ago #

<<..... and another thing: why is my e-mail address now included in the title bar? That just clutters up the tab heading in Firefox.>>

I noticed that and was waiting for someone else to say something. (That's laziness for you.)

<<And one last complaint: since Gmail has been open to everyone for a long time, why do I still have an "invite a friend" box on the bottom left-hand side?>>

Even though it's open – They still want you to invite your friends. It's like you putting your stamp of approval on it. I've invited people who don't use Gmail in the past, simply 'cuz I love it. (Also so I could chat with them, :))

16 years ago #

<<Even though it's open – They still want you to invite your friends. It's like you putting your stamp of approval on it.>>

So why is the number of invitations still limited? It looks more like they've forgotten to remove it.

16 years ago #

Whenever you invite friend it always get replenished anyway...maybe an anti-spam measure?

Crystal Manzy [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

When will it be available for everyones use. I still look and wait everyday and my account is only 6 months old. I created a new one just to get a peek at the features and I want it one my primary account what is the hold up?

Crystal Manzy [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

anyone have any answers ? crmarie3[put at-character here]gmail.com

16 years ago #

>> Whenever you invite friend it always get replenished anyway

They haven't been replenishing my invites for ages, they just keep going down and down.

Larry T [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Okay, so I'm actually running a super old eMachine (1ghz, 256 RAM) and I find that the new interface gets choppy when I scroll wheel down, as opposed to the old one, which lets me scroll down smoothly. So I will be switching back to the old version. Other than very slight aesthetics, I don't really see an especially imperative need to switch to the new version anyways.

Sankar Anand [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

i still dont have the new interface!

Frances Main [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

<<..... and another thing: why is my e-mail address now included in the title bar? That just clutters up the tab heading in Firefox.>>

If they don't change this, it may be something that makes me switch away from the browser interface enterely. When I open up firefox, the first thing I do is open the gmail tab and leave it open until I shut my computer off. I know it sounds trivial, but having it say Gmail – Inbox – myaddress[put at-character here]gmail.com unnerves me, it's so ugly and cluttered and I keep thinking that I'm inside a mail instead of in my main inbox page.

I really really hope they fix this.

Frances Main [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Also the firebug thing is annoying me. A lot. Although I do like the splash of red on my page.

16 years ago #

http://aycu16.webshots.com/image/34175/2001268720584971135_rs.jpg
Gmails chat now show statuses.New?

16 years ago #

>> Gmails chat now show statuses.New?

Nope.

16 years ago #

You're kidding right James?

And lol... I see i'm not the only one who's upset going to work huh? :P

Randall Lind [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

they did this so all my Greasemonkey scripts don't work. I wish there was a way to set the old version as default.

I use geasemonkey Super Clean Gmail script that hides the chat window.

16 years ago #

Yes!!!
I've got the new version!!
Yay!! :D

(Danny, see if you get it too)

16 years ago #

I got it in all my accounts Y-Day

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

still nothing :(

16 years ago #

For some reason, i get it only on FF.

Anyone else with this problem? :/

16 years ago #

Don't want to sound stupid – but what version of IE are you running?

16 years ago #

Ohhhh!!!!
RIGHT!!!!
Sorry, my bad..
I forgot it's for IE7. Not IE6
(Hey, give me a break, i don't even use IE... ><)

16 years ago #

It works now?

16 years ago #

No. I don't have IE7 installed. (and i'll never will)

I hate it.

(That's why i use FF, Or in some occasions, IE6)

Sankar Anand [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

i got it atlast!

Voyagerfan5761 [PersonRank 3]

16 years ago #

I finally got the new version a few hours ago. It broke all of my scripts and extensions, but Gmail Manager was updated this afternoon to work with the new version, and Gmail Macros was updated by Mihai himself yesterday. Now all I need is an updated Gmail Signature Float.

I agree with everyone about the email address in the title bar – it's kind of stupid. You can't argue with the improved speed, though.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I FINALLY GOT IT!

16 years ago #

I got it as well .. I suppose everyone has it now.

David T [PersonRank 7]

16 years ago #

Wahey!

I finally got it this morning!

At long last!!!!!!!

Puneet Lakhina [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

There is an additional feature if you are subscribed to a lot of mailing lists. Click on show details on any of the mails from the mailing list and you will see options to filter messages of this mailing list only. Screenshot below

http://bp3.blogger.com/_4t3MKh9CqSQ/RzLJfKF_bwI/AAAAAAAAANI/R6qM0fcLEmc/s1600-h/gmailMailingList.jpg

Vaz [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Is it me or is there a change in colour?

Example: After you do an action like delete an email it says 'email deleted' with yellow highlighting, isnt that colour slightly different than before?

Also, when you click on an email and read it.. isnt the quick reply box half the width of what it used to be?

16 years ago #

Yes Vaz, the colours have changed slightly. Perhaps in preparation for a full colour modification as indicted in this picture from Google Operating System. The lighter yellow doesn't really go with the current blue although probably will with the new blue:

http://bp2.blogger.com/_ZaGO7GjCqAI/RzMZS0H2ROI/AAAAAAAAGMA/eYiHTcVUw58/s640/gmail-aim-1.png

http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2007/11/screenshots-of-google-talks-integration.html

16 years ago #

I noticed that unfortunately (while the general speed of Gmail improved with 2.0) the loading of the auto-completion for contacts seems to be taking longer now. I often go to gmail.com and then immediately click "compose" and then type the beginning of someone's name to send them a quick email of something I saw online. Now, this act is heavily delayed, as apparently the contacts aren't loaded quickly enough anymore.

16 years ago #

My contact manager doesn't even load.
All i get is blank.

I'll post a screenshot when i get home.

photoactive [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I don't notice mine being slower at all... Am a happy customer. Though I have the vague sense that in the first couple of days Gmail itself was slower to load even if the individual messages appeared quicker once the site was loaded, thanks to pre-fetching. Anyway, I have no complaints now.

andy [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]David: Are you using the Better Gmail extension? Disabling it did the job for me.

16 years ago #

Sure did the trick.
Thanks Andy :)

16 years ago #

http://blogoscoped.com/forum/112687.html#id114238

I'm not experiencing this issue Philipp. :/

16 years ago #

Features that haven't been mentioned:

1. You can disable emoticons in the Settings > Chat

2. When you roll over the name of a email sender, the same contact popup would appear. If you have Google Talk, on your computer, the 'Talk' button would appear as well.

3. You get a calendar icon (like the attachment and chat icon) for emails with a invite.ics file. (I wish they would add an icon to emails that I have "Created Events".)

16 years ago #

<<You can disable emoticons in the Settings > Chat>>

I don't see that.

<<When you roll over the name of a email sender, the same contact popup would appear. If you have Google Talk, on your computer, the 'Talk' button would appear as well.>>

The contact pop up always appeared and I have Google Talk and I don't get that 'Talk' Button.

And YES I do have 2.0

16 years ago #

<< 1. You can disable emoticons in the Settings > Chat >>

I don't see that either. Maybe there's yet another version of this interface floating around.

16 years ago #

Me neither.

Can you share a screenshot Keith?

16 years ago #

Disable Emoticon:
http://bp3.blogger.com/_E0dlF4_71TI/RzRCdGc1KWI/AAAAAAAAC-k/XYpd4RLSFwg/s400/gmail-disable-emoticon.png

Profile Popup with Talk:
http://bp3.blogger.com/_E0dlF4_71TI/RzRCfGc1KXI/AAAAAAAAC-s/Mr7Oosqmr8M/s400/gmail-profile-popup.png

How many versions are out there?

16 years ago #

I definitely don't have that "Emoticons" option in my account. Everything else looks the same though. I don't suppose you're running any extensions or scripts that could be adding that are you?

16 years ago #

If he does, it will probably get disabled. Like Better Gmail.
Isn't it?

16 years ago #

David, not necessarily. It depends how the script works. (Not that I think it *is* a script, I just thought I'd better check though.)

andy [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

There is a new version of Better Gmail out now which supports Gmail 2.0.

Get it here: http://lifehacker.com/software/exclusive-lifehacker-download/better-gmail-2-firefox-extension-for-new-gmail-320618.php

16 years ago #

Nope, no extensions that could possibly add that.

16 years ago #

I've had so many "this is taking longer than usual..." messages in the last few days when trying to open my Gmail, that I'm getting fed up. I'm using a fast (cable) internet connection, and I don't have any problems with other sites loading slowly.

I'm going to switch back to the old version of Gmail, just as soon as I can. For the moment I'm restricted to basic HTML view :o(.

16 years ago #

Rob –

Try to clear your cache and cookies and all temp files. Then try again. I've had this problem before and it worked

16 years ago #

[put at-character here] Keith,

You tried using IE7 and see if you're having this option?

16 years ago #

I think the initial load is faster now...am i alone?

Nelson Ogden [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

This new interface does seem to load a little faster but also seems to require a little more computing power. On older computers, it doesn't seem any faster.

16 years ago #

I get it on IE7 and I have opened my other accounts in Firefox and this function doesn't show .. so it just can't be about extensions ...

16 years ago #

Another cool thing is that when you get the profile pop-up and you click on the name of the person you can edit it.

Shervin [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

finaly gmail makes its big mistake!
replay a message in newer gmail is not good!
last version add a | to each line of orginal message.
but new version add a > to each line of orginal messgae. and that destroy old links. all links in orginal message are not clickable.
is there any option?

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

When you dig into Gmail 2.0 source code, you will notice that the function "Call" of Gmail Chat is still present, the button too, but it is not displayed – reports a Zorgloob.com reader.
Do you think it will be active one day, even if Google Talk seems to be dead?

16 years ago #

<<but new version add a > to each line of orginal messgae. and that destroy old links. all links in orginal message are not clickable.>>

I don't have this issue, all links seem to work for me.

16 years ago #

The "more action" drop down box is not a combo box still a drop down box :)

I mean it does not shows the clickable black down arrow rather shows a text box now. but when you click in the text box, the combo box appears as dropdown

16 years ago #

Rohit –

Happy Birthday!

Shervin –

I don't have this problem either.

16 years ago #

Just wondering – Did anyone get 2.0 in the Google Apps account? – I didn't and I didn't here anything about it.

16 years ago #

Nope, all my GApps accounts are on the old UI.

16 years ago #

Happy birthday Rohit! :)

16 years ago #

I just noticed a new feature in Gmail 2.0

Not a huge deal but something that annoyed me to no ends.

When you have an e-mail open (like your responding to an e-mail so the E-mail on top is open) it now updates the * minutes ago field. That way when I send an e-mail – It doesn't say 0 minutes ago even 3 hours later.

Sometimes when I finish typing a reply I want to see how long it took me to type that/how fast I responded only to see it say 0 minutes – just a little annoying – now it's fixed

16 years ago #

^^^Noticed this too today!

16 years ago #

Thanks to David, AEF and everyone

Kanti Purohit [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I like the new Contacts: the layout is cleaner and they load much faster. But, BUT, Gmail Contacts has lost something very important – its search capabilities have diminished dramatically. Search is Google's strength and, in previous version, contacts could be searched on any field of a contact. Now it seems to be limited to just the name and address. That makes is very difficult for me find contacts that I could before. (For a while, I thought, some of my contacts got wiped out!)

Is anyone experiencing this? Is Google working on re-instating the search power within Gmail Contacts?

Molekula [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

New URL's are:
http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2 and http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=1

And after you sign in it looks like that
http://mail.google.com/mail/?shva=1#inbox for Newer Version and

Found on and just confirmed with my GMail account as well
http://www.byemil.com/news/latest/google-gmail-2-0.html

16 years ago #

[put at-character here] Avrohom,
It annoyed me to! :P

Steve [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Using Firefox with Gmail 2.0 – contacts show up blank, and I now have to shut down Firefox a couple of times a day because it locks when I view other labels.

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I've got some new options on my "More Actions" drop-down menu...

--> Mute
--> Filter messages like these

Haven't worked out exactly what they do yet, although the second one seems quite self explanatory. Any ideas?

16 years ago #

> --> Mute
> Haven't worked out exactly what they do yet [...] Any ideas?

Covered here, hidden further up the thread:

http://blogoscoped.com/forum/112687-full.html#id113955

16 years ago #

Mute:
http://blogoscoped.com/forum/112687-full.html#id113955 (i just saw Tony got ahead of me.. :P)

Filter:
http://blogoscoped.com/forum/112687-full.html#id112712

16 years ago #

I just realized you can now link to conversations. Is that new? When you open a thread, the permalink on top will change, and if you bookmark it or link to it (in some internal tool, e.g. Google Docs/ Calendar) you can later open it again. Cool, that's useful!

16 years ago #

I'm not sure i get you through Philipp.
Can you provide more information using images perhaps?

Thanks.

16 years ago #

Here's what I mean David:

1. Log-in to Gmail.com
2. Check the URL on top...
3. Open any conversation thread, e.g. an email from your friend, by clicking on it
4. See how the URL on top changed into a permalink you can now copy?

With that permalink, you can now go back to this conversation any-time (provided it still exists, and that you have the log-in credentials...).

16 years ago #

Cool!!!

Thanks Philipp :)

16 years ago #

Re: http://blogoscoped.com/forum/112687-full.html#id114323

<< 1. You can disable emoticons in the Settings > Chat >>

I'm now seeing this in my account too. It looks like this was another of their gradual roll-outs.

16 years ago #

I see it too. Nice find! :) (with emotions off lol)

Morti Mouse [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Folders4Gmail still don't seem to work. The parent and sub-labels are there however they are not closing. Any suggestions?

16 years ago #

Gmail 2.0 doesn't work with most of the extension (unless the extensions have upgraded their code to suit the new Gmail). So contact the developer .. only he can help. ;)

Jacob Bye [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

My Gmail doesn't have the newer link inside so I am still running on old Gmail. In fact I've been using Gmail since Google first came out with it.

Joep Timmermans [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Isn't the new 2.0 version available in Dutch?

I'm using the Dutch version, but I can't find no update link in my account to change to the new version.

Suggestions?

16 years ago #

Only in US English at the minute Jeop...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!