Google Blogoscoped

Forum

What If Gmail Had Been Designed by Microsoft?  (View post)

floAt [PersonRank 0]

Tuesday, November 20, 2007
16 years ago108,590 views

When i saw the first design iteration, i was wondering where is the huge banner that takes up at least 1/4 of the screen estate, and here it comes :)

Norbury [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Personally I find gmail the worst email service for spam, but maybe that's just me. I have to use Thunderbird which filters out loads of spam that gmail lets through.

No_Name [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

SOmebody has to much time.

No Name [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Microsoft implements advertising with large banners and Google steals the user's privacy through tracking quite everything for later advertising. What's your choice?

Gagandeep [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Hi

I guess Hotmail has improved a lot now .........it provides 5GB space ......

looks gud 2 ...............

The_Grudge [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

All the things you said are true, but let's be clear on something – GMail sucks too.

Conversation view is awful, their interface is bland, and I recieved 5 times the amount of SPAM using GMAIL than any other web based mail system.

ryan [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

You obviously have too much time on your hands, but I'm not even mad! That is amazing! Congratulations, you did in fact just invent hotmail!

nick [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Ok can i just say i wish gmail had your second iteration with the preview pane.

My time is precious and I hate clicking back and forth between message view and reading the message. Preview pane makes skimming many emails a very fast process.

Also whoever said they hate the threading is just a moron. Its so great to have context for every email. It means you can reply to an email later in the day and still have a clue what its about.

pcg [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Hilarious

Someone [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

This is quite hilarious... :) BTW No_Name, did you read the privacy policy and Terms of Service of Hotmail? :) Read it carefully and after that say who's reading your mail...

|2o|3o+ [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Nice job.
   Too much fun.
   Keep it up.
   Till next time.
   Thanks

a.atreides [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Yahoo mail is almost that bad without adblock. At least they haven't turned the search box into an animated character.

el baloO* [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

hahaaha... scary

Gmail Fan [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

This is hilarious.

By the way.....I have both a Hotmail and a Gmail account. Gmail is 100 times better than Hotmail because of one simple feature. You do not have to pay for email forwarding. I can have my Gmail forwarded to my PDA phone.

MikeFM [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

GMail has it's shortcomings but at least it isn't insanely bloated, spammy, and annoying. You remind me of when Microsoft bought Hotmail. It worked very well before Microsoft bought it and then got crappier and crappier after it became a Microsoft property. Many of the original engineers left once Microsoft got involved – especially when they started fooling around with switching from running on BSD to Windows. That totally screwed it up and made it far less efficient. Doh!

Michael [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I think everyone needs to realize a few things.

First off, there IS no Hotmail. It wasn't nearly bloated, spammy, buggy, or convoluted enough... so they forced everyone to switch to Live Mail and killed Hotmail off completely. Of course Gmail is better- I use it daily as my main account- but Hotmail was passable as an alternate for those of us who've had an account there almost a decade. Not so anymore.

Secondly, Prad makes me sick. "get off your dial up and onto broadband... I'd rather file them away... surely you're not going to have 2 gigs... lazy!" Are you really that ignorant? Thousands of people are still stuck in rural communities where a pathetic 56k line is the best that is available. Message threads are logical and keep things organized, regardless of how much you like the old 'I churn mah OWN buttah!' way. And there's these new things called email attachments, see, that can be anything from high-res photos to files you need access to via multiple locations....

Thirdly, I wholeheartedly agree with the humorous article. Gmail is light, quick, functional, user-friendly and stable. Microsoft has become synonymous with useless resource-hogging bloat, counterintuitive design, gaudy ads and putting the customer last. Vista pretty much sums that up.

Xiaofeng Z [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Try sending a mail with a large file attachement to a gmail account. 2GB of mail box space is useless if one is not allowed to receive large size attachment.

kingthorin [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

"Try sending a mail with a large file attachement to a gmail account. 2GB of mail box space is useless if one is not allowed to receive large size attachment."

Not every single piece of technology you encounter is intended for pirating or backing up your PC.

Email (in general) is not meant to be a file transfer mechanism. If you need to transfer a large file then use the proper tool (ftp, CD/DVD/MemKey, torrent, etc)

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

<<Conversation view is awful,>>

Conversation view is the best thing since sliced bread.

Bobalicious [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

"Conversation view is the best thing since sliced bread."

Unsliced bread is the best thing since sliced bread!

projavnyk [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Xiaofeng Z, Gmail allows a 20 MB attachment. If you can find an email service that offers more and is free, please post the info so the rest of the pirate kiddies can logon.

Really, if you need to send huge files to yourself, open up an online storage account or use one of the free ones. There are so many programs these days that allow you to connect to your home PC from anywhere, too.

I like the article. I have both Live and Gmail accounts. My Live account is my personal and Gmail is the email addy I use for dealing with online accounts with my bank, online stores, creditors, etc. I find the Gmail conversation threads to be more suited for business purposes. I can easily find a reg code for one of my Palm or Windows apps, too. (Although I will say that the Live search for webmail has gotten better.)

I use Outlook for work so Live has a "familiar" interface and bodes well for reading personal emails via the preview pane.

Rob Parker [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

...hmmm, Microsoft GPFMail-- has a certain ring to it.

snaffler [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

AOL already does all of this.

moonwatcher211 [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I've gotten 2 spam messages with gmail in something like a year and a half. they must do something right

Ashwin [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

What a piece of crap... Gmail is no wonder good but the shit you have said is crap beyond imagination...hehehehe, Microsoft – The focus is on THE FUTURE...........

N/A [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Very kool. Loved it.

zitounee [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

if microsoft designed gmail, it would be hotmail. I do not see the interest of that...

tap [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

have you used gmail and google talk behind corporate firewalls, it is awefully slow, compared to others.

Zanna [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Hehe. That was quite funny, but said because it's true. Microsoft's so...ughy and spammy and in-your-face-y. And Hotmail's stupid as because it tells you nothing except that you have no messages selected. The old layout was better because it actually gave most of the subject heading. And all teh loading takes ages. Good job!

Swoosh [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Hotmail + Yahoo Mail + AOL + all others together does not worth Gmail!
Gmail is KISS
"KeepItSimpleStupid"
i have no Spam
ads are not bothering
fastest email ever
free imap? who else is doing that for free?
etc
etc
etc
Gmail rules!

Henrique [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

ahahah

shane [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

iwould also delete your contacts and forget your saved passwords

David [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Héhé, what a joke ;)

Miko [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

And of course the microsoft gmail would require the msn passport...

Crayzi Lady [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Hifrickinlarious! And true...that's just scarey.

Daniel [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

No, it's incredible!!!! Oh No....

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!