Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Gmail Settings

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, November 27, 2007
16 years ago11,713 views

Is anyone else having problems getting to the gmail settings page?

I've not been able to get there all day.

Plus I'm not quite sure if gmail is actually faster than it used to be!

toml [PersonRank 6]

16 years ago #

i cannot login to gmail

pacificdave [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]dpneal: I can't access "settings" from the new UI but only when I revert back to the old view.

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I can access the setting page.. :/

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I can't access my setting in the new UI either....

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Works for me in Firefox 2.0.0.10... With the new version.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I'm using the same version

Ben Allen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Works for me..

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

philipp, if you have time, could you write a small blog item about this? hopefully google will take notice then. It's been like this for 3 days now...

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

DPNeal, it works here, which browser/ version and which OS do you use? Do you have any extensions installed? What happens when you click Settings in Gmail? Also: does it work with the old version?

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I've never been able to open the settings page in Gmail 2.

- Firefox 2.0.0.10/a lot of extensions and Safari 3.0.4 – Windows XP
- there's a "loading" message at the top of the page that stays there for minutes (and becomes "still working")

Gmail tries to post to this page:

POST /mail/channel/bind?at=xn3j2unh3nssz3ngbuex7cr9qihp3t&VER=5&
it=782&SID=[something]&RID=44239&zx=vptxg7-1zw43f&t=1 count=1&req0_type=cf&req0_focused=1

NY_Phil [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I changed my gmail language to Chinese to see what it looked like and now I cannot revert back to English (US). What must I do to set my gmail back in English? Also: Why doesn't gmail make it easier and clear to go from one language to another in gmail.

Jared Cherup [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I am now unable to access my Gmail settings. Anyone else experiencing this?

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

<<Why doesn't gmail make it easier and clear to go from one language to another>>

Its the first setting on the settings page, that's pretty clear in my opinion. Besides, how many people change their language on Gmail (unless its to English US to get features).

Settings is the third or fourth setting on the top right (might be top left if the UI is left to right).

16 years ago #

>>I've never been able to open the settings page in Gmail 2.

What do you get if you type:
javascript:alert(MainPage.scriptLoadFailure);
in to your URI bar while in Gmail (try opening settings first)

16 years ago #

I get: 0.

16 years ago #

Same here.

16 years ago #

What's really weird... is that I can access my settings on another gmail account of mine, but not my main one.

16 years ago #

Does opening a new window with http://mail.google.com/mail/#settings/ work (I presume not)

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Jared: Same here.
[put at-character here]Martin: No.

16 years ago #

I can revert back to the old version, and access settings there. ... This is weird.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I am still having this problem in my main account exactly as everyone else here describes.

Currently, i am using Firefox 2.0.0.10 on Ubuntu 7.10 but get the same results in Epiphany

16 years ago #

Here's the error:
Error: [Exception... "'Error: %128`$root/prefs/uiprefs`ccclink%252F19' when calling method: [nsIOnReadyStateChangeHandler::handleEvent]" nsresult: "0x8057001c (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_JS_OBJECT)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]

Sankar anand [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Ionut still u r not able to open the settings ?

its working for me fine in firefox 2.0.0.11 and also ie7.

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Sankar ... somehow this account specific. I am able to open settings on one of my accounts, but no the other.

16 years ago #

Quick question: did everyone with a broken settings page use the account to open the orkut sandbox? I'm sensing a theme here.

Sankar anand [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

welll that doesnt sense..

i use the same account for orkut sandbox but no probs for me.

16 years ago #

There must be something in common for these accounts. I can't see any mention of this problem at Gmail's group: http://groups.google.com/group/Gmail-Help-Discussion/search?q=settings+load&start=0&scoring=d& .

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

<< Quick question: did everyone with a broken settings page use the account to open the orkut sandbox? >>

I opened an orkut sandbox account with mine and I can still access my settings page, so if that's the case it can't be solely because of that...

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

i didn't open a orkut sandbox account, and i still can't open my settings page

DaveB [PersonRank 3]

16 years ago #

Just realized last night that I can't open my settings either. Just as described above.

Guess I'll revert back to the old version to make any changes that I need and then come back to the new version until they get this worked out.

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Ionut Alex. Chitu : I browsed the help group. There are mentions of the problem, but everyones solution is to just go back to the old version. It doesn't seem to be acknowledged by the Gmail team.

DaveB [PersonRank 3]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Jared

The Gmail team doesn't seem to acknowledge much in the help group.

The last "Update/Alert" they posted was March 2nd to introduce us to the fact that they would be posting updates and alerts in that area. None since then. Good thing they notified to keep an eye on that area!

Pau Tomàs [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I just noticed the same problem yesterday when trying to edit the labels.

Currently using Camino but it happens also in Firefox 2.0.0.11

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Pau : I am fairly certain at this point that the problem exists regardless of what browser operating system.

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Jared: Yes, it seems to be account related.

I just sent a error report using the "wizard" in http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=80446&topic=12914 and saying no to everything.

16 years ago #

<<The Gmail team doesn't seem to acknowledge much in the help group.>>

This seems true with a lot of Google's Support Groups, although engineers do seem to watch the posts (they just don't respond).

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

The help groups are good for google because they act like a filter to all those "problems" that people who don't know what they're doing complain about and can be solved by someone competent :P

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

there is also this page...
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/static.py?page=known_issues.cs

if you've got time submit your 'can't open settings page'

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I don't see that listed there

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I heard from someone at Google press they're looking into the problem of the settings page...

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Thanks Philipp! This is a *huge* inconvenience to affected users as you could imagine.

16 years ago #

Thanks Philipp!

http://blogoscoped.com/forum/116454.html#id117284

I just receieved a reply to the error report I sent (probably an automated one). Nothing new, they just asked the same questions included in the report form.

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I got a reply from the error report asking for more information and screenshots. I've sent that off now, I'll let you know if there is another response.

16 years ago #

I also am going through support to resolve this.

16 years ago #

No reply here, but I think all they need is a list of email accounts affected by the bug and maybe some error messages (although I don't understand why some accounts get different code).

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

i didn't even get a code. just a loading message...

16 years ago #

It's clear that your Gmail code is different, otherwise it would work the same for everyone.

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

oh sorry, i thought you meant error code. (i didn't read your message properly)

16 years ago #

Okay. My settings are still not working. I'm assuming it hasn't been resolved for others with the same problem? This is almost absurd. What's taking so long?

16 years ago #

Still not working for me too :(

I refuse to go back to the "older version" of Gmail!

16 years ago #

> I refuse to go back to the "older version" of Gmail!

:/ Seems like it is the only solution for now. Google answered to the report I sent last week:

> Thank you for your response. We have forwarded the information
> you provided to the appropriate team for further investigation.
>
> In the meantime, if you'd like to log in directly to the older version of
> Gmail, please visit http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=1

16 years ago #

Just got the same response.

shadow [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

is there a way change your secondary email address? like changing the one i used to register for gmail?

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

If your on a Windows machine, I just log into IE 6 and thats automatically the older version right now. So you can make your changes that you want in the Settings and then log in as you normally do in your favorite browser (Firefox, Opera, Safari etc...).

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

We all can figure out that workaround, but we're waiting for a *solution*

<<I think all they need is a list of email accounts affected by the bug and maybe some error messages>>
I sure hope they don't need a list. If Google can't figure that out on their own there''s no way every affected user is going to contact them.

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I'm still having the problem too. This is taking ages to fix. Is there anything we can do?

DaveB [PersonRank 3]

16 years ago #

"I'm still having the problem too. This is taking ages to fix. Is there anything we can do?"

Inundate the Gmail forum with messages about the problem?

I know they don't respond often, but they do watch the posts I believe.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[Moved from "gmail setting link not working ?" – Tony]

Is anyone having problems with the settings link within gmail ??

I am clickin on it and it jus sez "loading".. and "still working" and nada happen's..

is it only me.. ??

/pd [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

OMG.. this is an ongoing thing!! now, stuck with my old sig line!!

Reto Meier [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I'm seeing the same thing, same for 'edit labels'. Contact manager still seems to work mind you. Annoying.

16 years ago #

Go to the old UI and change your signature there:
http://mail.google.com?ui=1

/pd [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

a Tip of the Hat to you Inout!!

Thanks a lot!!

16 years ago #

Over a month, and this problem still exists. Although Gmail is still in beta I think it's quite absurd they still haven't fixed this rather large problem.

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Beta? How silly. It's going on FOUR YEARS IN BETA. Um...if you can't get it 'gold' in 4 years.............

16 years ago #

Yeah, I know but I think it's the BETA tag that allows them not to address a serious problem like this immediately.

Ben Allen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

So, I'm thinkin' about gettin' a beta tattoo...

hebbet [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

In my opinion Gmail will leave the BEAT on April 1th 2009

16 years ago #

<<it's the BETA tag that allows them not to address a serious problem like this immediately. >>

Yeah, right, as if anyone takes Gmail's beta seriously... I think Gmail will finally leave beta this year.

Ianf [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Everybody take a deep breath and relax... Our Google Who Art in Mountain View, CA., (etc.) are going through a set of Important Gmail Settings-Revisions[tm], and then Re-Revisions; and, just to keep us on our toes, sometimes Reversals of Previous Decisions if not vice versa.

For instance, I access Gmail quite a lot on a Palm PDA (in its Basic HTML, not the Gmail Mobile "view" – 328x448 effective pixel-area viewport, 19 text-lines at a go). It works "adequatech", and feels fairly straight-forward....

Of course there are some limitations, like the built-in/ --preordained I assumed-- inability to change the Settings while on the pda (WiFi only, no phone). But, lo and behold, couple of weeks ago I discovered that that turned to "possible" – now I *could* juggle between my three addresses at will, and even do the truly-equilibristical stuff like momentary changes of just the Name-field of me default address to something extremely snarky-topical at a time of posting, say, and reversing it afterwards.

Well, it used to be possible for a time (discovered it by accident), but not any more.

Now I just get a "Cannot change settings from a mobile device, use the desktop" which I presume is there due chiefly to two reasons:

(1) perceived greater risk of account hijacking should mobile device fall into wrong hands – while still logged onto Gmail, which does survive even multiple powerdowns in-between...; and

(2) probably Google finding out that not enough people ab/used it in like manner, needed it, therefore this function became superfluous to maintain. Or something – since ?when? am I supposed to second-guess what some Anonymous Googlers were up to couple of script revisions ago?

Anyhow – it shows that the BETA still evolves. That said, I wouldn't mind an ability to "preregister" (on the desktop Gmail if no other option), a set of "alternative identities" (=different "names"; same email[put at-character here]dress), and then be able to change between them on msg-to-msg basis from *any* Gmail client, incl. the mobile device uns.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!