Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Gmail Supporting Shift Key  (View post)

Jason Adams [PersonRank 1]

Thursday, February 7, 2008
16 years ago5,118 views

I know the shift to compose in a new window has been around since the very early days of gmail (or at least it was there when i got my gmail account in august 2004). Very handy.

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Slightly Offtopic -
Caps Lock stops Google Reader shortcuts from working, but Gmail is fine with it :-/

BrianS [PersonRank 7]

16 years ago #

I know the shift key to select multiple emails has been around for a while. I really enjoy how it is slightly more advanced than usual as well. If you select a set of messages as mentioned in the blog post and than want to select another set of message you can do so without the first set of message become unselected.

Israel Rodriguez [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

It's been a while since this shortcust are active..

me [PersonRank 8]

16 years ago #

it's been around since the beginning...

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Thanks guys, I added a small edit to the end of the post.

[Update: Jason in the comments says Shift-clicking was around since the early days. Perhaps what I always tried before wasn't Shift-clicking but right-clicking the link to open in a new window using the context menu (which still doesn't work here).]

16 years ago #

> Caps Lock stops Google Reader shortcuts from
> working, but Gmail is fine with it :-/

I always remove the Caps Lock key from any desktop keyboards/ laptops I'm working with.

Avrohom Eliezer Friedman (AEF) [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

It's been months – they announced this in their blog some time ago I think but I can't find it

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Philipp
Yeah I hate it, but on a keyboard I haven't used for that long it's easy to hit Caps instead of 'A', and as I discovered today that stops GReader short cuts from working :(

Peekay [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Wow! I've been using Gmail for years (with keyboard shortcuts), but was unaware of the ability to open an email in a new window using he shift key. Thanks for pointing this one out – I will be making use of it often.

Kevin Fox [PersonRank 4]

16 years ago #

The shift-select feature for selecting ranges of checkboxes has been around since before Gmail launched publicly. The shift-to-open-in-new-window feature was added a couple years ago.

:-)

16 years ago #

(Added 2nd update, thanks!)

Marcin Sochacki (Wanted) [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

One of the useful Shift shortcuts I like is Shift-C to compose a message in a new window.

KoreV [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

shift + 3 moves conversation to trash :)

BUGabundo [PersonRank 7]

16 years ago #

i've been using the shift for a long time.
u can do nice tricks, like selecting a few with shift then use ctrl to select a few more, and use shift once more, and it will continue to mark emails.

I've been wishing for the simple feature to be implemented on Google Reader, but still no luck. maybe they might read this post.
I many times just read the headlines, and jump a few at a time, and need a way to mark those as read, and there isn't one.

I usually just do a 'k' back to the beginning, but when i've read 2000+ feeds, it aint that fast.

Ryan Musarra [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Gmail can very well be the best email program ... if it were not for a few problems. I mean no spam is perfect! But anytime I add an attachment the size of 3 mb or more, the message takes a good minute or two before it sends. Not sure if anyone else has this problem, but it definitely takes away from my speedy necessity to email multiple attachments ... especially since the maximum able to send in 1 email is 10 mb.

And my department very badly needs to have a logo attached to its signature. We use gmail and cannot find a way to accomplish this without using another program.

But I still Love Gmail and continue to use it. Cheers!

Marcin Sochacki (Wanted) [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Ryan Musarra:
Well, uploading 3 megs from your computer to Gmail takes time, I suppose that's the cause of the delay. Nothing unusual there.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!