Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Kevin Fox of Gmail & FriendFeed on User Experience Design  (View post)

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

Monday, June 2, 2008
16 years ago8,618 views

WOW! This looks like one of the best articles yet. I'm going to have a good read now.

Thanks so much, this will be very helpful.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Great read, but I still wonder what are the six profiles for email users. There must be something related to the way people treat inbox and unread messages.

Zim [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Very nice article!

Francis, Infopirat [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Wow. That took me a long time to read... But I don't regret! Thank you for that.

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

This is a Classic Great article I read. Great Gmail, Great FriendFeed, Great Kevin, and, Great Philipp!

Scott Fillmer [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

That is a great post but I think you should get an aware for the longest blog post ever written :)

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Long but completely worth it! ;-)

Although there's lot of fantastic information there, I have to say that I love Kevin's anecdote about his domain name.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Great Post- it was a long read, and certainly worth time well spent

k4rl [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

wonderful interview, so much good UI info!

Andy Wong [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Easy to become a good programmer, hard to become a good UI designer, ever after reading a few books about usabilities. Thanks for such lengthy articles.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Just read on my DS. Absolutely fabulous review Philipp, unbelievably revealing. I wonder why he didn't answer the profiles question though.

Rich Aviles [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Thanks for this. Enjoyed it.

[Signature removed – Tony]

BUGabundo [PersonRank 7]

16 years ago #

Really great article. keep it up

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

<<What did Gmail look like at the time it was shown to you?>>

I also REALLY want to know what the answer to this could have been... ah if only he could have answered

Vikas [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Helpful article for UI Engineers / Designers

Chinmayz [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Very informative article. Nice to learn abt Kevin's other interesting ventures too. Keep such posts coming in...

Sim@Japan [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Great read!
If you intend creating products, you need the likes of Kevin, else.

Mr Jones [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Being a designer I have to say interaction design is great but your design abilities are terrible. Not only does your design ruin the user experience of the sites you create, but also pushes away anyone with a good sense design.

Focus on the interaction design and leave the design aspects to professionals.

J. McNair [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Philipp, et al.
Great interview. Blogoscoped doesn't do interviews often, but when you do, they rock.

[put at-character here]Mr Jones
Agree 100%. An excellent and consistent UI/UX can be saddled with a terrible design. I suppose the ultimate expression of this would be the command line – reams of text and archaic commands are not beautiful design, but can be beautifully consistent.

I guess the other extreme (flawed UX, beautiful design) would be Windows Vista Aero Glass. As many things as it got wrong, it got right, leaving a strange feeling when I use it.

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

<< Being a designer I have to say interaction design is great but your design abilities are terrible. >>

I don't see much wrong with the design of the site. I think it's got the same "edge" that most Google applications have... it may not be aesthetically pleasing in parts, but it always *gets the job done*.

Dan Stuart [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

As I sit in the midst of the re-design of our commercial UI this article was helpful. Scanning the internet you find the full scope of site ideas that combine various levels of design and functionality. I suppose the common belief is that design means alot of design elements: photos, text, colours, etc. For better of worse, google bucks this notion.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!