Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google's April Fools 2006

Lawrence R [PersonRank 1]

Tuesday, March 21, 2006
18 years ago

So, what do you guys think it will be? Do you think they'll announce something pretty incredible that turns out to be serious (like the 2GBs of storage on Gmail)? What do you think it could be?

I think they'll announce two things, one real and one prank. Perhaps they'll announce GCalendar? I can see them tieing that in with the whole April 1st thing – like, "Never be taken by surprise by April Fools again, with GCalendar!"

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Just my wishful thinking: they'll release a totally superior web video search engine. And make it look like an April Fool's joke with an accompanied press release:

<<Search is Number Two Online Activity – Watching Silly Videos Online is Number One; "Heck, Yeah," Say Google Founders>>

For the actual prank, maybe they'll put something on Google Maps... like Godzilla?

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Maybe they'll finally release GMail to public and change the look of the homepage and SERPs. And CL2 also.

It's about time to stop the nonsense talk about the same unreleased features/products.

Josue R. [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Dear Google April Fool's Team,

Please, if you don't release GCalendar as April Fool's next month, i'm going to kick some serious butt (not literally), and may consider switching to Yahoo after all... i've been waiting for GCalendar for such a while that its the only factor i need between choosing Yahoo or Gmail as my permanent email service. Google, please don't ruin this for us all. We hope you'll come thru in time and wish to use your gracious services for a long run.

Your loyal and kind user,
Josue R.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Yep, a calendar for april is not a bad idea... ;-)

nerio [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

GDRIVE i think...

Ken Kuhl [PersonRank 7]

18 years ago #

I, too, am hoping for CL2.

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I doubt it will be anything we expect

Eric Cranston [PersonRank 3]

18 years ago #

The real thing will be the launch of the google military, which we someday take over the world, the joke will be google time assistant, a device that tells you want you need to know right before you need to know it.

OREO [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I believe CL2 will release MUCH sooner than what people think. Having so many pictures and speculation online means that people are up to something.

For those of you who can't wait, though, I found a calendar program that just released some awesome features last week, and it is the closest I've found in resemblance to the upcoming Google's CL2.

http://www.kiko.com

CJ Millisock [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Like Caleb said, I think the April Fool's joke will be totally unexpected. I hope the calendar is released before 4/1. :-) Someone said it would be released 3/31.

jilm [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Calendar, open registrations for Gmail.

chrispie.de [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

i heard that google and yahoo will share there datacenter for each other at peak times

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I think it will be either CL2, 3GB on Gmail or Google Web OS (well we know they've got Writly)

Ramibotros [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Google OS has to w8 till 2008

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Fingers crossed for CL2 to be added to Gmail. I don't think that they will up the storage more than it is currently increasing.

As for the April fools "joke" well probably something utterly unamusing (like Google Gulp).

SCJM [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I'm hoping for CL2, but maybe their April Fools joke will be no April Fools joke.

elyk [PersonRank 6]

18 years ago #

unlimited storage (gDrive) would make a good offering that sounds like a joke

Christian Matschke [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

After having analyzed and mapped the outer world with Google Earth, Map and Mars, Google will introduce GOOGLE BRAIN, a new feature by which your brain is monitored online while you are logged into your Google account. The data will be used for various purposes: Brand strategists learn about the deeper feelings their target groups have towards their communication ("God, this makes me too sick for words!"). Online psychiatrists can keep in touch with their clients ("Don't speak!"). Etc. Next step is to make this an interactive process by which logged-in Google users are able to mutually manipulate their brains (strictly double opt-in!).

18 years ago #

Google Brain http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8378573297985724290&q=google

18 years ago #

I hope that SCJM isn't right.

OREO [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I hope CL2 – March 31!!!

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

What about gtalk <-> aim interoperability

18 years ago #

GTalk and AIM linked would be a good one. But it is not specific enough for Gmail. There are two topics here. One the April Fools, and two what they are going to do for Gmail's Birthday. Gtalk and AIM being linked doesn't fit with either really. Of course Gmail might celebrate it's birthday with no improvements but I doubt it.

It is going to have to be the calendar.

Dave [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

They will unveil the “Big Mommy” and the “Big Baby” data centers.

Dave [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Google Cavity Search

OREO [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

From past years, does Google always release something big on April 1st?

pokemo [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

GDRIVE is alive...

18 years ago #

OREO they always do an April Fools joke of some kind. And since the creation of Gmail an upgrade is expected on April 1st.

ju [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I hope it's CL2

Dennis [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I hope CL2 come out.
I hoop Writely come out.
I hoop that the Gmail chat becomes better.
I hoop that Gmail groups can be searched.
I hoop that i can put my hotmail in to my Gmail account.

That are my hoops of April fools day.
So we well we see what happen.

Thanks Dennis :P :D :)

Josue R. [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Everytime i read this thread and other similar ones, it seems that we are forgetting the point of April 1st.... that is its "April Fools" and whatever is said or done on this day that may sound awful or weird or cool should not be taken serious as it may turn out to be a joke for the gullible person. Yet each and everyone of us post with a "wish list" of what to come from Google team on this day! I hope Google really surprises us with some "fake" killer app that will blow us away BUT i truly want Google Calendar to launch! That being said, i've been counting the days and hours for many months (since Oct '05) to tomorrows "April Fools" event from our beloved Google.

Just hours away boys & girls =)!!

18 years ago #

Heheh...

"I like the idea of Google pretending to delete everyone’s Gmail inbox, although its so extreme it might be too risky."
http://google.blognewschannel.com/index.php/archives/2006/03/30/what-will-google-do-for-april-fools-day/

Josue R. [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

CORRECTION:

oops, i meant to post this tomorrow, but anyhow...

Just 1 day and hours away = P

Justin Pfister [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

CL2..Please. I came a few hours short of missing my mom's bday today!

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Josue, while Google always posts a joke of some sort, two years ago they launched gmail on april 1st and last year they upped the storage, so they only stand to disappoint if they don't do *something* for gmail.

Corsin Camichel [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Okay, sources talk that it will be huge again this time!

18 years ago #

Corsin, which sources do you mean?

OREO [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Yeah, what are you talking about?

18 years ago #

To translate an article Corsin found:

"When back on April 1st 2004 Google released a free 1 GB email service, many were thinking it must be April Fool's. (...) As PCtipp has learned, Google will again announce an innovative product that will 'do more than just surprise most PC users'. For legal reasons we are not permitted to talk about the product today. Let's just say this: Google didn't promise too much."
http://pctipp.ch/webnews/wn/32891.asp

MADeveloper [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Its April fools in many Eastern countries. Have been scouring the net (local sites, blogs, makeshift URLs like calendar.google.com and drive.google.com) but to no avail. I wonder how and when they let it out!

OREO [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I'm guessing around April 1 of Standard Pacific Time. That is Google Headquarters offical time (Mountain View, Califronia.)

18 years ago #

Find Google's time here: http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/time-zone/usa/pacific-time/

18 years ago #

Based on the unreleased Google Talk download (http://desktop.google.com/download/googletalk/googletalk-setup-testing.exe) I'm thinkin' the April Fools joke will have something to do with the interoperability between Google Talk and AOL Instant Messsenger.

OREO [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

That sounds great, but Google should release a Mac compatible version. I'll be extremely disappointed if CL2 doesn't come out.

18 years ago #

OREO: Prepare for disappointment.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

WHO WANTS TO BE THE FUTURE LARRY PAGE OR SERGEY BRIN ???
http://www.google.com/support/jobs/bin/answer.py?answer=24249 :-D

OREO [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

sounds like an awesome job.. I'll do it one day.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

a TEMPORARY job : worse than a French C.P.E., lol ^^

OREO [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Sam Davyson: yep.. :-(

AffanJam [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

April fool joke could be the could "delete" all blogs and gmail accounts for a few hours just for fun .

18 years ago #

I don't know why I find myself coming back to this page over and over. :-)

I have another prediction! What if Google anounces the release of the fabled Google Browser? :-)

OREO [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I actually won't be surprised.
http://blogoscoped.com/forum/25331.html

Well guys, it is April 1st! I'm waiting impatiently for the google release. Cross your fingers for CL2... I'm so excited.. well I hope Google actually releases something. I don't know if there will even be a release of anything! lets hope.

OREO [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

If you need a funny joke for April Fools, go to
http://msnsearchspoof.com/index.aspx

This is actually hilarious sometimes!!

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Seriously, I need sleep.... I wish someone would call my cell if anything launches that I'll only have an hour or so to sign up for! Though, being on a Sat maybe not? (No, they would not let us down)

OREO [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Haha yah I wouldn't worry. I'd text you but i don't think you'll be out of luck.

18 years ago #

alright.... I cranked the volume on my Gaim... (which I use for Google talk) can someone shoot me a few messages when it is discovered? please please please

trex005

OREO [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

sure.. im using gmail chat.. so u should 'approve' me to send u messages. i'll send u a message now.

OREO [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

okay.. it's offically 12:00AM in Google time (Pacific time.) Happy April Fools day. I'm sure everyone is really excited...

Nothing out yet. I'm waiting another 30 minutes..

Gnihton883 [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

google romance, haha

Gnihton883 [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

where's the real new feature?

OREO [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

still not up yet. I'm waiting!

18 years ago #

OREO: I get the feeling there may not be a real feature!

It is 09.39 here in the UK.

OREO [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

yeah... :-(well maybe they will release it later!

18 years ago #

Google Calendar is definately coming. I am just surprised they aren't doing *anything* for Gmail's birthday. At least change the logo.

OREO [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Well, don't give up yet.. there are still 23 HOURS and 23 Minutes left in Google time of April 1. They have a whole day to release a new product.

I still believe they will release something.

*NOTE: Today is also Apple's birthday (30-year anniversary!) Maybe they will do something as well.

18 years ago #

Yikes are you 9 hours behind. More than I expected. You are right there is still scope for something.

Keith [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I've found Google's 2006 offering and linked to it from my April Fool's page:

http://www.aprilfool.me.uk/

Jimmy [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

http://www.google.com/romance/

Jep [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

a new gmail logo

see it

Murali [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

No change in gmail for my birthday.

OREO [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

nice... aghhh no release yet?

Murali [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

http://www.google.com/mentalplex/

18 years ago #

April 1st is the new December 25th.

icekin [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

For 2006 April Fools, Google Romance apparently: http://www.google.com/romance/index.html

The only useful feature they've added today is an ability to subscribe to specific topics on Google groups by email.

casper [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

set your clocks back if you didnt last night

18 years ago #

To follow-up on the story pre-announced by PCTipp and found by Corsin... it was just an April Fool's hoax for a Google OS.
http://www.pctipp.ch/webnews/wn/32892.asp

18 years ago #

And another Google-related April Fool's:

"Google, Inc Acquires Forumer.com"
http://www.forumer.com

18 years ago #

No fun for Gmail? How dissapointing! Never mind the calendar can't be too far off now.

18 years ago #

(Not even a logo for us "Google Mail" folk)

Justin Herzig [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

So I can't believe that Google Romance is the only thing. I say this is the real thing that will atick around and they are still going to come up with a new hoax. The anticipation...

Justin Herzig [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Nope, never mind. Just realized that Google Romance is purely a joke. If you click on "Post multiple profiles with a bulk upload file, you sleaze" you will come to a screen saying HAHA You fell for our April Fools joke. O well, a little dissapointing.

18 years ago #

April Fools Day typically runs until 12 noon. Perhaps (and this is a hopeful plea) the April Fool is that they have no new Gmail feature. And after 12 noon (Google Time) the feature will be released.

Likelihood: 0 – 2 %

OREO [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I really hope so!! I'm currently in extreme disappointment... but no losing hope. There are still 13 hours left for April 1...

Kate McCue [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

ha ha...i fell for it today!

i was never on to this google april 1 joke thing--
what planet have i been on you ask?!

and i fell for the links! and i kept clicking the darn things--
thinking it really was an error.

ah, next year, i am aware now!

i enjoyed it.

Josue R. [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

keep hope alive!

OREO [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

http://chronotron.wordpress.com/2006/04/01/google-pathetic-disappointment-on-april-1/

I kinda agree! So... will there be a release guys?

afz [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

this is this year's prank.. i think..lol! http://www.google.com/romance/

18 years ago #

There isn't going to anything now surely?

Now the contest is: Guess the CL2 release date.

May 4th.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

The big Google's April Fool : no calendar, no gdrive, no google health... nothing.
ah ah ah, funny Google...

OREO [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

No... depressing. This is not googleish! There can still be something! Comon Google.. don't disappoint all of us.

John [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

very dissapointing

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Gary [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

very dissapointing ... :(

Loughlan Burnett [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Well.. i was hoping for CL2... ahh well.

OREO [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

google, what's wrong? are you alive? it's gmail's birthday! where's your new release or update???

or [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Oreo, you are really giving me a good laugh. Well, about an hour and a half is left before it becomes April 2nd at Google, so maybe there's still a chance. LOL

OREO [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

haha yeah, i doubt it though.

Chinna [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Well, Guys there is no release.

It is a big disappoitment from google.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

5 minutes left, and nothing new
BAD GOOGLE!

we want our present! ^^

(100th message :-D)

ismar [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

cant you guys see, not having april's fouls is how they fouled us since we expected them to do it...

Josue R. [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

i'm starting to believe they'll launch Google Calendar (CL2) with a fake "April Fools" on April 2nd, due to the fact that they didn't have a calendar to get reminded of April 1st GMail anniversary and mistake to launch the wrong *beta* product.

lets see if this small predict comes true today or the 3rd-4th of April =)

** crossing my fingers

or [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Ha Ha! Oh man, you guys need to give up.

or [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

"lets see if this small predict comes true today or the 3rd-4th of April"

Let me play along a bit. I can actually imagine them saying something like – "since we didn't have a calendar, we thought it was valentines day, and released Google Romance. (doh) Our bad. One of our CL2 trusted beta testers called us up and told us that it was Gmail's birthday. So here is the real product we were supposed to release yesterday as a gift to all gmail users. Happy belated birthday"

OREO [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

that would be sweet! I think they'll might use that idea or something like that when they release CL2.

Google seems a little boring at the moment. Maybe their next release will be on a weekday, (tomorrow perhaps?) I'm loosing hope of waiting impatiently.

18 years ago #

I think they don't want to stress out those journalists who only work on weekdays. Maybe a sort of gentleman's agreement to not release important stuff on the weekend :)

OREO [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I hope you're right. Hey, when does one get an icon on this forum Philipp?

coolguy. [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

not sure if you have seen this.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2006/04/cupids-algorithms.html

18 years ago #

Yes, interesting how it was posted at EXACTLY 4/01/2006 12:00:00 AM

pokemo [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

They must have autopost feature...:)

lazy [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

may be is a google os

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!