Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Everyone can GTalk ?

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

Friday, September 29, 2006
17 years ago2,922 views

Google blog claims that anyone can use GTalk even if they don't have Google Accounts.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2006/09/now-anyone-can-talk.html

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

no they need a google account still, just not gmail

i guess that explains gtalk on the google accounts list http://blogoscoped.com/forum/69509.html

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Oops. You're right. I misread it.

"now anyone can use the service (Gmail accounts no longer required)"

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

this is still big news and its a big leap towards being able to talk to aim users from gtalk and gtalk users from aim

Eytan Buchman [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It looks like they threw on Writely too. Happy day.

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

What JabberIDs have people that haven't got gmail account? it can't be somenthing[put at-character here]gmail.com, so what is it?

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Ok, i Think I now. It uses Jabber accounts username[put at-character here]gmail.com, and blocks this username in Google Mail.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Ludwik, it might be nickname[put at-character here]gmail.com, because you have to select a nickname when you sign up for GTalk (and that nickname can't be a Gmail username or Picasa username or...).

Who knows? When Gmail goes public, you might actually get that Gmail address...

17 years ago #

I can confirm what I wrote in the prev. comment

jilm [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

There is one interesting question. What would Google do when there were too many Gmail users? You know number of logins is limited, who would like to have a mail my.name152657[put at-character here]gmail.com? So why they don´t support different domain names as Windows Live?

17 years ago #

Well, they do. Get your domain + https://www.google.com/a/

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<< ... you have to select a nickname when you sign up for GTalk (and that nickname can't be a Gmail username or Picasa username or ... >>

However, if you've already signed up for Picasa Web Albums using a non-Gmail Google Account, you can select any of the nicknames used there as your "Desired username" for Google Talk.

Also, if you enter a new desired username for Google Talk, it will appear in your Picasa Web Albums Settings page for you to use in your "Public Gallery URL". (Which shows there's tighter integration between these two services than with Google Page Creator.)

I think we could be getting closer to Gmail aliases as discussed here:
http://blogoscoped.com/forum/68461.html

jilm [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

> Well, they do. Get your domain + www.google.com/a/

That´s not the same. I have my own domain but I don´t want to provide freemail for bigger group of people. Google should offer more domains, at least some national domains – gmail[put at-character here]com/co.uk/de/cz – of course they have to buy them firstly. :-(

17 years ago #

jlm,

For you / your family / your friends / your organization, not for the whole world.

jilm [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Yes Ionut, but how many people have their own domains? That is not a solution for masses unless Google provide easy and cheap domain registration service.

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

.info domains are usually cheap. And .com, .net, .org are usually between 5-11 USD a year.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Sohil, yes but the process of registering a domain and then changing the MX records to use Google Apps for Your Domain is beyond your average user.

Google could really simplify this whole process...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!