17 years ago #

/me got in at $93/share

I laughed when they said sell at $300
I laughed when they said sell at $400

Now, I'm considering selling.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Ryan, Google just got started on it's run. You can take some
profit around it earning report in January 25.

if you short selling. here is the tip-- be quick :--bell is closing with 80min :)-
SELL GOOG @ 505 stop 509 target 491 TTL.2d

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

People should invest in Google stocks!!

the graphs aren't lying you know :)

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"People should invest in Google stocks!!"
> You have forgotten the word "rich" at the beginning of your phrase...

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

TOm, actually only six other companies trade above $500 mark.

It's not people who are investing.. its the investment banker (community) that is buying and selling.... and that is what is drving the market cap eith up and down..

The other folks who invested, indivduals would not ahe more 5-10K shares in thier hands at the time of early IPO, or it could also be the employees of google who have stock options..

As such, even rich people can't affort to get into this market space right now..

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

OK, I understand better know
Thanks for the explanation /pd :)

>> about 510$ now ;)

mc [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

Buy! Sell! Hold!!

But seriously, owning Google stock is gambl ing, more so than many other stocks for this reason:

Google will never pay a dividend. You can never own enough shares to have any control due to the founders shares having 10x voting rights. Google will never be taken over as the founders are already too wealthy to care.

So if you own Google stock, you are betting that other people will buy it off you at a higher price than you bought it for, becuase they think they can sell it to someone else for a higher price than they bought it for.

I don't see how Google's profits, growth, expansion or any other factor increasing makes any difference to a Google shareholder, because you'll never see any of the profits and you'll never own enough of the company to have a say, and no one else will buy the stock off you in an attempt to buy the company, as the founders have no need to sell.

cram [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Perhaps you can be proud of owning a part of Google, however small, as some sort of souvenir. If it were the olden days, you could have framed the share certificate and proudly displayed it on your wall. And told your grandkids: Been there done it.

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I would love to purchase some Google stock, but there is no way I can swing $500 per share.

You've got some excellent points, MC.

Tony

Andrew Hitchcock [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

mc, the same could be said for a lot of stocks that individuals invest in. However, a lot of people invest for retirement, in the hopes that the stock will be worth more in 30 years than it is now. When the time comes to sell, hopefully there will be other people looking to make a profit, and so they'll buy it from you at a higher price, believing that in a few days, weeks, or years that they'll be able to offload it at an even higher price.

I wouldn't call it g*mbling. There are ways to make good investments, by doing research and knowing your companies. Also, the house doesn't always win :)

Tamar Weinberg [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

But sadly they aren't the richest company yet – though they're not too far behind either.

http://www.10e20.com/2006/11/22/the-only-14-companies-now-worth-more-than-google/

Jean-Marie Le Ray [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Hi Tom,

Compliments!

J-M :-)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!