Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Personalized Page reseting when changing theme

Pau Tomàs [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, April 26, 2007
17 years ago19,721 views

The Google IG page is acting weird for me this morning...

I tried to change the theme, and then only the default gadgets appeared, I added some gadgets, then changed the theme again and now I have the default gadgets and no select theme option... any idea?

Roel Fauconnier [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

well, i have the same problem:
I came back from lunch and opened up firefox, which displays my IG page.
Now it seems that all my tabs and gadgets have disappeared, and now there's only one tab with the (I assume) default gadgets on there.
Could this have anything to do with the planned maintenance?
Anyone else have this problem?
How can I report this to Google?
thanks!

Matthew Lang [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I'm having the same problem as well, except I've noticed that the modules that are appearing on my homepage are the modules I had about a year ago.

About three months I dropped a few of them and added some more like Picasa Photo Albums, Google Calendar and Google Reader. Now my usual page looks like a throw back to early 2006!

someOne [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

i have the same problem but not when changing the theme, but the fact that the theme i selected disapears (sometimes even the link to select a theme disapears) also the all the tabs (minus the defaut first one) disapear and all the modules I had set on them appear on the first tab.
Does anyone know if this is some sort of bug or are they having some maintenance problems?

Redmar [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Google has a big problem: http://groups.google.com/group/Google_Web_Search_Help-Personalizing/topics

Matthew Lang [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Thanks Redmar!

I can't see what the big problem is. Some people are complaining because they've spent a lengthy period of time customising their pages. That's fair enough, but how much time would you spend on your homepage if you have spent weeks or months customising it. I'm getting visions of a 20 tab homepage with all types of feeds and stuff on it!

My homepage is a single page with a couple of feeds and 4 or 5 gadgets that link to other Google products. From scratch I could have it back up and running in 5 minutes.

Yes, it's frustrating not being able to see your homepage but it is a free service after all.

Perhaps we could get a save feature on the Google homepage to save the current homepage settings to an xml file or something so that it can be reloaded at a later date.

photoactive [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Me too. It's very sad.

Ricardo Sanchez [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

It had happened to me too. Furthermore, I can't re-personalize it, when I start adding tabs and moving things around, it resets again.

Tonino [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Yep,
mine is gone too...
Good that I didn't have important stuff there.

BTW, today Google is doing major maintenance to "Google Apps" and as a side effect Google Calendar is affected. I wonder if this is because of that too....

Nathaniel Harvatt [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Yep happened to me to, i found that if i didn't add the Google Talk app or a theme it behaves itself, although i have lost all my tabs apart from the default one.

Very annoying, but glad to know it wasn't just me, or my computer.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"If you're using the Firefox browser try visiting your Google personalized homepage and, if it's still loading incorrectly, hold down the Shift key while clicking Firefox's "Reload" button. "

thats what I culled from a post on Groups..

DSims [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Late last year, I signed my mom up for Gmail, and after a few weeks of using it, all her email disappeared. Not archived, not trashed, not spam, just... gone. There is no good way to contact Google about it either, they have very little, if any, customer support. Situations like this make me hesitant to trust Google, or the internet in general, to exclusively store my data. WebOS? not any time soon.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Yeah I changed nothing and my theme personal home page is gone :-/

Jeroen H [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I do have the same issue.
It happned today around 15h00 PM CET.

Using FireFox 2.0.0.3.

I tried "hold down the Shift key while clicking Firefox's "Reload" button. "
Without avail.

Frustrating.

Ricardo Sanchez [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

This is starting to makes me think twice about storing important work-in-progress reports on Google Docs...

Steve Lindsey [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I also lost all gadgets and tabs . Big wake-up call, I was using gmail, apps, reader etc. Beginning to wonder if it's a good idea?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Perhaps Google manages to restore the settings, then it will only have been a temporary loss...

David Linsin [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Yep, I'm a victim too!

Elling [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Same for me, my homepage rolled back to what it looked like months ago...

John [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Yep, same here -_-

Cacan [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Same here... :(

JoeM [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Likewise. I read this and everything was fine about an hour ago and within the last few minutes my page reverted to settings that date back to more than a year ago. Theme is gone, all additional gadgets gone, tabs gone.

Bea [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Yup everythings gone and rebuilding doesn't even work – it disappears again!

Joseph McDonnell [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I've just lost my feeds and tabs, really annoying....

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I hope that Google is listening to its users ...I think many of us are going to echo the same that Ricardo sez..

Just because its a free service, should in NO way imply sloppish service. At the end of the day, Google has to step up and be more proactive in communication to their users.

User are not so much frustrated at a service disruption, rather the lack of Google saying anything and keeping quiet!!

DerekH [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Yep Same here. all gone just today. Adding stuff back didint help . It just dissapears again.

Fritz Harasin [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

I am back at what i had there 2 years ago. Clearly it can be done again. But that makes me download my gmail messages asap. and calender.

peter [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

My settings gone as well, including theme and all the tabs, newsfeeds etc...
Location – Europe.

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Fortunately, mine is still in tact, but I am certainly not going to try to edit anything until it is resolved. I only have 9 gadgets across two tabs, but I have tweaked it to exactly how it is most efficient for me.... I would be bummed (as some of you are) if I lost it.

Guido [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Mine was gone too..
Now I have to put all thing back... it's beta...

17 years ago #

Apparantly it happens to some, but not others. But it is progressing. I have 3 sites, first one was gone, then the next, now the third ...

ThePythonicCow [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Me too ... back to where I was months ago, including my list of
company stock symbols has one I was tracking approximately
six months ago, instead of the one I have been tracking since then.

Two tabs down to one, lost and rearranged settings.

Dan [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Mine are all lost too. Really frustrating, but luckily I still have my bloglines.

Ironically I was talking to someone yesterday about how I hadn't used netvibes since I'd set up my google page – so is it back to Netvibes for me?

Proto, India [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Hi,

I lost mine too (from India). It was really depressing to see that happen. Of course, I might be able to reconfigure it in a matter of minutes, but as pd says above "Just because its a free service, should in NO way imply sloppish service."!

Also, luckily, I downloaded all my GMail messages last week. So, now I am prepared for that too (of course, keeping my fingers crossed that it does not happen).

Anyways, this provides us with an opportunity to think about the pros and cons of depending upon "web2" without having a desktop backup in the first place.

Regards,
Proto.

17 years ago #

No company can ever stop mistakes like this from happening from time to time, but to keep people cheery Google ought to get better about responding – with information at least, along the lines that they are investigating the problem – as quickly as possible . . .

stefan2904 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Me too! Everything away! :(

17 years ago #

Finally, lost mine too. And keep losing tabs I add now.

17 years ago #

GameStar, Slashdot, heise and orf science are google´s defaults for germany/austria (also on google.com/ig?hl=en)?

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

My is still working! ;)

On the other note – today I tried register new gmail account and it kept saying that I can't because the registration link was already used. That was insane, because I used official link from Gmail's homepage. I didn't register this account.

mob.dev [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Count me in... lost my homepage, too...

The Personalized Homepage is not a big thing, but it just reminds me that similar things happened to some GMail users a while ago, which is really a PITA.

What Google really should provide is a backup utility, which exports the data and settings for ALL Google services and allows for proper import if anything is lost (I could even imagine a "Google Offline" tool, which gives you offline access to Google services based on the downloaded data and syncs it with the Google Servers once you are online again...)

Hopefully they will be able to restore the data, because they SHOULD have a backup!

Mysterius [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Mine's is still intact, too.

Emad Hassan kenona [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

please describe for the groups how to sign up

Paul James [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Mine is still intact :-)

bwanakafupe [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

mine too; i'm now thinking that its not a good idea to trust a freebee system
for my documents.

Tue Abrahamsen [PersonRank 7]

17 years ago #

*poof* – mine disappeared in the last hour or so too :(

Richard L [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

same here, but guess backup will be restored soon. so best not to mess with settings....

Zim [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It's scarry. What if something like this happens to GMail?! or docs/spreadsheets...

Manoj Nahar [PersonRank 4]

17 years ago #

Mine is still intact as if nothing happened. Touchwood!!

Chris [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Me too.

I tried to sign out and login again. The login screen was different from the one known before. There was a Captcha, I had never seen that before.

Anyway, no luck.

Anonymous [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Mine's gone too :(

17 years ago #

Well, looks like they're dealing with it. :) Jaime on the group has struck just the right note:

http://groups.google.com/group/Google_Web_Search_Help-Personalizing/browse_thread/thread/59b3283837690de0/8b91d7361a074343#8b91d7361a074343

4563214 [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

I think mine's normal again. Since 14:15 it's broken and lost settings when I reconfigurate it but now my settings are stored for over one hour.

17 years ago #

(Updated the post, thanks Photoactive!)

17 years ago #

lucky u 4563214! i am still not there yet. any idea why u got lucky? did u report? where? or can it be your location?

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

mine is unaffected. but when i simply asked a few weeks ago if the ongoing bug about themes not displaying right had been corrected, some doof jumped all over me for "Whining." So I guess I won't say any more.

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]4563214: over one hour is good with manual changes, but presumably it hasn't reset to how you had it before? (Still out here.)

4563214 [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

I'm in Germany with Firefox 2.0.0.3 my ISP is Strato (uses server from freenet) and i have done nothing but waiting.
My personal homepage is just ok at the moment. But i have to rebuild it by myself....

B. [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

I am experimenting a personality disorder!!!

" Slowly, Jekyll begins an experiment where he makes two personalized homepages and changes himself into Edward Hyde ..."- Robert Louis Stevenson

4563214 [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

Jaime from Google says the reason can be changing the theme. But i don't change my theme the last few days....
Does anyone of you change it?

For luck my Analytics accounts works fine! (http://analytics.blogspot.com/2007/04/temporary-downtime-system-updates.html)
And my Gmail too! (http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9712350-7.html)
And my Calendar works too! ;) (http://google.blognewschannel.com/archives/2007/04/25/google-calendar-has-a-quota/)

17 years ago #

Hm, good point 4563214. There are a lot of warned-of or half warned-of or warned-of and then retracted downtimes (Analytics, Gmail, Calendar). And then IG just breaks. Could something be going on? Do we detect something in the ether?

B. [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

Where is Adam Lasnik?

Matt Cutts [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

B., I haven't talked to other Googlers about this issue, but I can tell that it's high on the radar, so I hope that they'll give more info when they know more.

17 years ago #

I have six tabs enabled. none have changed- but I notice that some of the feeds have outlines around them, others dont.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Matt, its not the issue that we have problems. It's an issue about not responding, maybe designate lead (Jaime ?) not responding fast enough to mitigate concerns and addressing the issue fast enough ??

Syndrome : A baby is crying in the crib, and parents are neglecting the cries.

looski [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Same problem this end :(Was acting strange yesterday. Had to keep refreshing to get my favourites up. Everythings gone this morning... I cant even find the option to add more favorites now..

Shahid SEO [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I had exactly the same problem yesterday. All of a sudden I completley lost my personalised page. Had to set it up again several times before it stayed in tact.....

very frustrating.....

Roel Fauconnier [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Just thought I'd report: Mine is back!!
I lost it yesterday around lunch (CET).
This morning it was still the same but it suddenly changed back to the correct settings (+ new borders around each gadget)

thank you google!

Marco Palazzo [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Mine is back too.
Just a minute after I finished to load all of my feeds to the Google Reader I decided to switch to.

Was this bug maybe meant in pourpuse to make people use the Google Reader like I just did?

Richard L [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Nope, still down here in UK. Though did have the message..you have been signed out, sign in to see your stuff. don't think that was therelast night.

Tue Abrahamsen [PersonRank 7]

17 years ago #

Nice, mine is back now. Although with a border on all gadgets. But all setup is back.

Proto, India [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Mine is back too! Thank you so much, Google!

In fact it is back in spite of me fiddling around with the theme (before reading warnings in the Google Group to not do so) and trying to add some of the missing modules.

Still I would like to have a way to keep web2 stuff offline (as a backup).

17 years ago #

> It's an issue about not responding

But someone did respond Pd:
http://blogoscoped.com/forum/94001.html#id94087

My homepage is back to normal, too.

Gary [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Mine's still back on an old single tabbed page that I had when I first set up my google homepage :(

mob.dev [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

mine is back, too...

BIG THANKS to the Google engineers!!

Richard L [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

nope – still down here

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Still down here too :-/

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Mine was not affected yet but it is a beta product and just because they usually work, when they break down we can't really complain. Then again if I was affected i would probably be livid because I have 30 gadgets on 4 tabs

jk [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

back to normal:D

17 years ago #

not here.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

My personal home page is still down here :-/ Have I to do something to get it back?

bloggerdad [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Hello.
I have problem with enter to this site via GPRS.
Please, help me.

Thanks!
Best regards.

ThePythonicCow [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

TOMHTML asked if he has to "do something" to get his page back.

Not that I know of. My page was lost (reverting to something months
old), and then magically recovered a day later, to my current page.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

My home page is still down. AM I ALONE?

Richard L [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

nope, still down here. uk.
bloody annoyed!

Jonathan H [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Still down for me too – and I had LOADS of personalisation, modules and tabs.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Still down.... :-S

Why no Googler tell us what happend? On Google Groups they said it's because we changed our theme. Of course many of us here didn't changed the theme. So what?

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

OK finally it's back for me
Maybe I was the latest ^^

17 years ago #

i take back what i said on the theme sync being fixed; at close to 9pm last nite it still showed daylight.

Nelleke [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

My homepage didn't quite dissapear, only all the graphics were gone. Did that happen to anyone else? Still not back, Tried to take everything off and then add new gadgets, still the same. Just text appears including borders but no theme or other graphics. Happened last week thursday.

17 years ago #

my hp is not back, so its lost?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!