Google Blogoscoped

Forum

The Push vs Pull Gradient  (View post)

Frank Taylor [PersonRank 1]

Friday, June 29, 2007
16 years ago4,272 views

Very interesting thoughts Phillipp. Where do I sign up for the "meta tab" tool? I can't count the number of times I was interrupted doing e-mail X by thought Y, which resulted in reading RSS Z, which ended up in reading web page AA, which ended up in thought 42... etc.

Veky [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

And what exactly is wrong with that? Humans aren't designed to stay focused for a long time anyway.

Philip Guth [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Phillip--this is very well done, thanks much.

Philip Guth [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

By the way--is this gradient something that you put together or does it have another source?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

The "push" concept is old, as you probably know, but I'm not sure if anybody ever created a push vs pull gradient (it's quite possible I think!). The source for this was more my day to day work at the moment, and some of the problems with information channeling I'm experiencing: conflicting channels (e.g. just recently I was on the Skype phone and my friend started a Skype chat, but the phone call was important), and conflicting todo lists (I keep one on paper, one on my mobile phone, then there's Google calendar which also contains "todo events", and then there's the unopened snail mails on my desk, which aslo are a kind of "todo" entry, and so on....). We have a lot of tools available and sometimes we don't even realize in the beginning that a tool can add new noise to our day – like all the alerts online social networks create (even if you aren't a member!).

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!