Google Blogoscoped

Forum

How to avoid false positives in Gmail spam?

Juan [PersonRank 0]

Wednesday, July 4, 2007
17 years ago3,690 views

HI, congratulations for the redesign. I searched but it did not work, so I open a new thread.

How do you avoid false positive spam in Gmail?. If you have the sender adress in contacts is it safe that email from him will not be filetered?

I see that clicking the Not spam button even many different times does not prevent Gmail to classify valid email as spam in the future.

Thanks

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I too was hoping that clicking "Not Spam" then "Archive" would do the job, but it doesn't.

So every day I need to trawl through my Spam folder, rescuing the false positives.

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Gmail hasn't implemented a white or black list yet, and at its current rate of adding features, we wont see one for many years.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Its current rate of adding features? Once a month.

Nov. 06 – new design
Dec. 06 – mail fetcher
January – Docs integration
February – public sign-ups
February – Google Apps Premier Edition
May – the attachments have 20MB
June – Powerpoint Viewer

17 years ago #

Out of all of those, there are only five major ones that match to the amount of work a blacklist/whitelist would take though.

Nov. 06 – new design – Quite a bit of work
Dec. 06 – mail fetcher – A lot of work when scaled in the case of Gmail
January – Docs integration – Quite a bit of work
February – Google Apps Premier Edition – I'm guessing they didn't plan this initially
June – Powerpoint Viewer – This was actually created by a separate group of people in 20% time, so not really the core Gmail team

I'm pretty sure a whitelist wont be appearing for a long time though (I may be wrong though).

Something I just spotted that I thought was funny on https://mail.google.com/support/bin/request.py?contact_type=suggest though:
"Have Gmail do my laundry"

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Google in their 2006 internal goals mentioned "Gmail 2.0"... wonder if that is still on the horizon or already rolled out!
http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2006-10-26-n80.html

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Solution: Stop using Gmail.
Sorry, can't give any helpful advice. :)

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

A blacklist is easy to build using filters (http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2006/08/create-email-blacklist-in-gmail.html). I'm not sure if it works to build a whitelist (since there's no action to "move to inbox" or "remove a label").

17 years ago #

Just to clarify, I love Gmail and think it's great. I just feel that for a company the size of Google, things should be moving a bit quicker.

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Does adding the email address to your contact list do the trick?

Juan [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

>Does adding the email address to your contact list do the trick?

That is one of my questions. Also, there is NO wat to easy add to contact list (that I see). No button to click and add from address to contacts. All I see is import / export

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

No webmail service can prevent spam completely. My way is, one gmail for public. And another Secret email for business. This secret email is not gmail, you can use you gmail to fetch this email adderss. and pasted them with a label.

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/5769/gmailaddcontactla7.gif
Under "Contacts"

Juan [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Haochi, I mean a button to add from as contact in the inbox window, like select email/add to contacts

Juan [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I uploaded a contact file in CSV

Email from contact adresses are not filtered as spam even if they contain spam (I pasted a filtered as spam email body in an email from a contact address)

I also tried to add domains as contacts e.g.

domain,domain.com,

to allow email from domain.com but failed, it seems it needs a whole address.

Juan [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

OK now I see the add to contact list button, it is a drop menu to the right of the REPLY button in an open email.

Juan [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I don´t know how to do for email lists, say groupname[put at-character here]yahoogroups.com

the from is different, you can´t add as contact.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!