Google Blogoscoped

Forum

New censorship in china

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, July 25, 2007
17 years ago4,369 views

Feedback, Forum, comments for the blogs ect defined to be BBS.

A.
1.All BBS Domain must be put in records at GOV database
2.All BBS must be put in records at GOV database
3.All BBS hosting and website must be put in records at GOV database
B
1.All company bbs must be put in the records
2.All personal BBS must be put in the records, suggest close the BBS, cause personal BBS hardly pass the censorship.
C
1.BBS must have the managers that can manage BBS for 24 hours, can open Phone and Mobile for 24 hours per day.
2.All users must use real name.

...too many

and a interesting thing, Gov will supply a censorshop API. Or Censorship software.

All means, if you are american, and build a blog in chinese at USA hosting. You also need to put the records in the china GOV database.
You have three ways to select.
1.Try to pass the censorship
2.Close the comments function
3.To be banned in china.

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Ths censorship API invented by Philipp Lensson. It is not a joke.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Thanks for the update Xiaowan! Can you tell us where we can find more information on this censorship, can you perhaps also email me more information? Since when is it active, how is it introduced, through which channels was it communicated to webmasters?

> Ths censorship API invented by Philipp Lensson. It is
> not a joke.

I guess you're referring to my satirical post here.
http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2007-02-09-n45.html

But I didn't invent the censorship API. (I didn't even foreshadow it, which might be a more appropriate term in this context...) Such an API was already available at the very least in Germany for a long time:

<<How does Google know which sites they need to censor? One thing Google and others in Germany do is to access blacklist data on a server by the Association for the Voluntary Self-Monitoring of Multimedia Service Providers, FSM (“Freiwillige Selbstkontrolle Multimedia-Diensteanbieter eV”). The data on this server is provided, in encrypted form*, by the Federal Department for Media Harmful to Young Persons, BPjM (“Bundesprüfstelle für jugendgefährdende Medien”). The BPjM is an official state organization, the FSM is not, but Google and others signed the FSM’s code of conduct as well as their subcode for search engines.>>
http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2006-07-24-n48.html

And as Seth Finkelstein added in the comments to my satire:
<<Actually, there's already a proposed censorship standard API for URLs.>>

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!