Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Gmail filters

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

Sunday, August 12, 2007
16 years ago3,497 views

How can I make sure something goes to the inbox?

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Do you mean instead of being classified as spam? If so, can't you just add the address it's coming from to your contacts?

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

is that how you do it? OK. thanks.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I have the same problem, but the "from" address changes although the subject line is the same every time. I haven't found a way to force that into the inbox instead of into the spambox.

BUGabundo [PersonRank 7]

16 years ago #

mark those email as not spam, and hope that google learns!

OR

There must be a reason why does emails are marked as spam.
Check the headers, or tell the senders to use domain keys, or SPF (www.openspf.com).
That usually helps a lot

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

BUGabundo,

I've been marking those emails as not spam for six months, and Gmail hasn't learned.

They are standard PayPal "Notification of Payment Received" emails. The "Sender" header shows as 'sendmail[put at-character here]paypal.com' which is reasonable. PayPal spoofs the "From" header to be the email address of the person who submitted the payment, which is quirky but not totally unreasonable.

PayPal includes a valid "DomainKey-Signature", but Gmail adds a box saying "Warning: This message may not be from whom it claims to be.", and chucks the email into the Spam folder.

I pick them out one by one and tag them "Not Spam", but it's tedious. If I could set up a filter action to remove a "Spam" tag I'd be well pleased.

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

> PayPal spoofs the "From" header to be the email address
> of the person who submitted the payment, which is quirky
> but not totally unreasonable.

The problem is so do the spammers, thus meaning that it makes it extra hard for Google to detect PayPal spam (at one stage this was all I received).

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!