Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Alternative Gmail Names

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

Monday, August 16, 2004
19 years ago

What if Google's Gmail will lose its name in the recent trademark trouble? Here are some name alternative suggestions:

* Goomail
   * Googmail
   * GeeMail
   * G-Mail
   * BiGmail
   * GiantMail
   * GigaMail

Do you have more suggestions?

Luc Dubois [PersonRank 1]

19 years ago #

GoogleMail seems fine to me...

Chris [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

I've always thought, in the true Google tradition, eventually people will start using the trademark in common usage, ie:

"Gmail me that attachment, would you?" as opposed to, "E-mail me that attachment to my Gmail account".

A smiter of all who write the word 'E-mail' (or any other word with the 'electronic-' prefix) without the hyphen, I wouldn't mind it being called G-Mail. It's just the word 'E-mail' but with a similar sounding prefix letter.

And whatsmore, seeing as I hate hyphens in domain names, especially e-mail domains; according to j*vaonthebrain (http://www.javaonthebrain.com/), trademark restrictions do not count for domain names, so Google could rightfully keep the domain as it is now, instead of surrendering it and registering 'G-mail.com'. (If that were the new name)

Also regarding a post I saw on this blog about the IPO not too long ago, I think Google foresaw the whole trademark fiasco, by registering all those domain names that are similar to their IPO address. Shame it was already too late to save the problem for Gmail.

Although it's worthy of note that I don't doubt Google will get to keep the domain and trademark 'Gmail'. The others are just daft, or nearly imitations.

Gangster [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

GBox, GoogleWebMail, etc.

Bibek [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

I dont Know, GAIL, GMALE, anything that sounds nice will work but will anyone invite me pls, I desperately need a gmail account

bibstha[put at-character here]yahoo.com

anthony [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

glitch mail?

trebek [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

While all of you are concerned with the domain name, I'm still having trouble coming up with a username.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!