Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Re: Google Ends Paid Google Videos  (View post)

Marcin Sochacki (Wanted) [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, August 22, 2007
16 years ago3,899 views

I'm happy they heard the message and proposed a real money back solution for the customers. This should be a good example to show DRM proponents (BTW, R should stand for *Restrictions*, not Rights) how not only the customers are screwed, but also the provider, should he decide to do the right thing and make a full refund. Google not only didn't make money on paid videos, but they lost a good chunk, if you count the refunds, Google Checkout coupons and engineering effort to incorporate DRM into the player.

Google Tutor Junior [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

This is what I mean when when I said that it's a google value to move quickly on things. And it's nice that Google listened to the feedback from its users.

But on a larger perspective, what happened with Google Video is a good example of why using DRM is something that's very much against the interest of the users. And that the DRM model is not really working in the way that the media companies are hoping it to be.

This is a really good response from Google, and also highlights another important point: a walled garden is bad for the users, forcing users to use Google checkout was really a mistake.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!