Google Blogoscoped

Forum

basic page discovery by Google

Ianf [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, September 26, 2007
16 years ago7,768 views

Forgive extremely simplistic question in this highly SEO-phorific phorum, but, short of pasting-in an url in a newsgroup, or similar, how does one make Google QUICKLY discover, and index, a previously empty/ now content-rich site?

Ages ago there used to be special Google "slot" for submission of new pages, but nowadays it's apparently all dependent of the spider eventually synthetising the site's IP anew....

Ianf

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Look around here http://www.google.com/webmasters/#utm_medium=et&utm_source=us-en-et-bizsol-1&utm_campaign=en

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Ianf, I think the page you're looking for is this one:

http://www.google.com/addurl/

I can't guarantee that Google will QUICKLY discover and index your site if you submit if via that form though. DPic is right, you should check out the other ways of submitting content – including using XML Sitemaps – via the Google Webmaster Central pages he linked to.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I would suggest to send an email to people who might be interested in your website. E.g. webmasters, bloggers. If they link to you, it really speeds up good indexing and ranking. But don't send automated emails, just personal ones that are (potentially) relevant to the recipient.

also see
http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2007-01-07-n13.html

Ianf [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

DPic, Tony R., that's exactly what I was looking for, and obviously missed on Google's site. There's one item there I don't grok however – the "Comment" field, which they amplify in truly-coockoo manner:

> You may also add comments or keywords that describe
> the content of your page. These are used only for our
> information and do not affect how your page is indexed
> or used by Google.

Do they mean [something equivalent to] html meta description content there? Or, since they claim "Google-internal use only", what do they expect? English keywords – which happen to be totally inappropriate in this context?

Philip: I am neither your aunt, nor your uncle (getting closer though ;-)) Of course me site is fully validated, CSS-rich, devoid of counterproductive SEO-tricks, and I am _the_ expert in the field.

My only regret is not having been able to make it fully CSS2-dependent – I tested the content continuousy during development, and none of the 3 different IE versions, from 5.2 to the latest, rendered a key page exactly like the other browsers – so in the end I had to roll it back to hard-encoded bgcolor elements in place of original padded CSS-boxes and the like.

Earlier on, I used to publish on others' sites, where there were ready submission mechanisms in place, and crawlers aplenty. Now that I am my own webmaster of necessity, I need to master that side of it as well. Not something that makes me drool with anticipation...

I elected not to promote the content over and above making the url public via direct mail to approx.100 potential motivated readers, people directly and tangentially involved in the events described. None of whom are webmasters, far as I know, however.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!