Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Checkout gone wrong

Susan Lesko [PersonRank 1]

Friday, October 12, 2007
16 years ago3,118 views

I'm disappointed in Google's Checkout. Went to buy something online from Buy.com via the Google Checkout. After putting in my credit card info and hitting next I got a loading message that stayed there for 10 mins. Acted like it was froze so I exited out. I never completed the process but when I checked my credit card info online there's a $1.00 pending charge. I called the credit card co and they said this amount could change once it's posted. So I'm a bit freaked out. I never completed the order and received no order # or email. The credit card company gave me Google's phone number (650-253-0000). I called the number to find out they have no customer service representative. You're kidding right? A big company like Google can't afford customer service!?!?! Now I don't know what to do. How do you cancel an order that never went through? Will I be billed for the item? Before today I loved Google. Use the search engine and email all the time. I feel let down and will not try to use Google Checkout again.

George R [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I had similar problems with google checkout at buy.com.
You can check the thread from December 2006 for the details.

http://blogoscoped.com/forum/79260.html#id79260

I have stopped using both google checkout and buy.com.

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6xCFFYPDDE
[via InsideGoogle]

Just wait a couple days.

Kirby Witmer [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Lots of people have problems with Google Checkout on buy.com.

Just check out the comments on this blog post.
http://www.kirb.com/Blog/2006/07/19/google-checkout-flunks/#comments

Kid [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Google makes an electronic call to your bank for $1.00 to see if your credit card is open and in good standing. If it is, they go ahead and complete the purchase. They never actually collect the $1.00. Really. No need to be freaked out.

Susan Lesko [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Thanks Kid. What freaked me out is when my credit card co said the $1 charge could change and when I tried calling Google it was only a recording and eventually it said they have no customer service representatives. I just can't believe they don't have customer service. That shows me that Google isn't as great as I thought they were and they don't care about the people using Google Checkout. I'm sure I won't get charged anything because the order never went through and I never got an order # or email.

Kirby, I'm blown away with all the problems people had using Google Checkout. It's truly sad and wrong in my book. I wish I would have looked into it before trying to use it. Thank God my order didn't go through or I'd really be dealing with a nightmare from the looks of it. I'm glad things did work out for you in the end and you even got Google goodies – sweet!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!