Google Blogoscoped

Forum

[Random] Having a Storage Counter or Not?

Keith Chan [PersonRank 10]

Saturday, November 3, 2007
16 years ago3,123 views

Yahoo Mail gives its users 'unlimited storage' and has demolished the storage counter. I just feel that it is better to have a counter to let users know how much they are using up and in fact, it makes them feel good about the company as they would think 'O .. I have been using 10TB already ... this email service provider is so generous' and wouldn't complain that much about ads and stuff like that. This I think is one of the reason why Gmail kept its counter even though it claim itself to be 'infinity + 1'. What do you think?

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I think you're right.
But that will contradict the fact it's unlimited.
Cause after all, unlimited is not a number. So that's why they've kept it away from us. (in my opinion)

But i'd certainly like to see how much storage Yahoo! mail users have.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

My question is, where are yahoo's servers for "Unlimited" email?

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Why? you wanna break their facilities and make it Unlimited -1 ?

:P

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

"Because of a recent break in at the Yahoo! Mail server farm, all customers currently using the full unlimited will have one email randomly deleted"

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I'd like to steal one of their infinite GB hard drives :D

16 years ago #

Yahoo have strict control over abuse .. and you might get banned if you use it for storage. That's why 'unlimited storage' is in brackets. Gmail almost doesn't care how you use your megabytes as long as you don't go and send spam or try to phish.

GuillaumeB [PersonRank 9]

16 years ago #

Well Gmail does care when it comes to using third party application that turn you account into a had drive...exact same issue...your account is going to be blocked...

16 years ago #

They will only block you well you go crazy and then exceed some of the bandwidth limits. They don't block you because you use it as a hard drive.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!