Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Opinions On Working At Google, Now vs Then  (View post)

Greg Linden [PersonRank 1]

Tuesday, November 6, 2007
16 years ago3,757 views

Huh, Google of 2007 sounds so much like the Amazon.cult of 1998.

http://glinden.blogspot.com/2006/09/collective-delusion-and-amazoncult.html

All joking aside, it is about the same. A promising and idealistic company grows quickly, attracts opportunistic hosers, faces a crisis of faith and culture, and belatedly tries to regain the passion lost.

Dave Winer points to Apple in the 1980's as another example. Google sadly appears to be in danger of repeating this same pattern. treading this dismal path that has been walked by many before it.

Verlyn Severson [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I'd rather not live vicariously through someone fortunate enough to work at Google. If you can find a place for me, then I'll see your point through experience.

Adam [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I cant image its any different than working at IBM, Oracle, Intel, or EMC, two of which I have worked. If Google isnt careful, they might find themselves scorned like the former mighty titans.

Anonymous Googler [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I've worked at big high tech companies before coming Google. It is different in important ways from them (for one, its turnover is still very, very low, and its morale is still higher than average), but let's be clear, it's not a freewheeling startup any more, and hasn't been for a while. No company can grow without changing, and Google today is not Google of 1999. This is both good and bad, of course. It's still the best place to work if you really want to change the world, but whether that lasts... well, time will tell.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!