Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Gmail, POP, IMAP

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

Friday, November 16, 2007
19 years ago • 5,055 views

Now that Gmail supports IMAP, why would you still use POP?

1. Mail fetcher

2. Clients that don't support IMAP.

Other reasons?

Avrohom Eliezer Friedman (AEF) [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

Is it easy to switch over – does your e-mails get re downloaded? I didn't switch my clients over in my GApps accts 'cuz I didn't know how hard it was to switch over.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

Stealth Op's – POP the msg out and save on local node.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

Why doesn't mail fetcher now support IMAP too?

Rohit Srivastwa [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

I'm still using POP for backup

/pd [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

DPic : Googs' Mail fetcher works of RFC 1939.. and IMAP is a different protocol suite RC 3501.. both are disparate and methods.

IMAP is a full connection state and POP is a connectionless state...
IMAP – multiple clients::i inbox : POP single Client :: 1 Inbox

core and sutble diff's can be ref'ed within the LEMONADE working group!!

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

>> why would you still use POP?

Well, I actually organize my mails in Outlook in a totally different way to how I do it online. The reason being that Outlook's search is completely crap, so I need to do more filtering and have a lot of subfolders than I do labels in Gmail. I do this with loads of filtering rules which aren't necessary in Gmail because it has a decent search. Therefore, I actually don't want my desktop client to mirror my web one.

Oh, and I fear change... :-)

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

I still don't fully understand how IMAP works in relation to how POP works. Where does mail actually get stored?

Reto Meier [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

Mambo: Everywhere. The difference between POP and IMAP is state, both protocols result in your mail being stored both on the server and your client.

POP is stateless, you send a copy to your client, but any changes aren't reflected in the original. Reading, deleting, adding labels isn't reflected on the other copy. This is useful if you use a single client and your mail server has severe space limitations (my ISP for example only allows 20mb). Using POP I download the messages to my client and delete them from the server.

IMAP retains a reference, so reading your mail in your client will mark the message as read on your server, and vice-versa. Same for deleting or labeling. This is particularly useful if you use multiple clients – work computer, home computer, Windows mobile phone, web client as they're all kept in sync.

Rohit Srivastwa [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

Tony
for a better outlook search you can try a tool called "lookout"
its worth a try

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

... or even Google Desktop.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

Rohit and Ionut, thanks for the recommendation but due to my filters and organization, I rarely need to search as I can almost always find what I'm looking for by going to a folder and sorting by date / sender / subject.

I was considering using IMAP to import my old emails into Gmail though.

Has anyone tried this yet? Are all the original sender and date field in tact?

http://www.zoliblog.com/2007/10/24/simplified-guide-to-importing-all-your-archive-email-into-gmail/

Gina White [PersonRank 1]

19 years ago #

Tony-I did. The connection kept timing out so I could only do it in chunks. I also did this during my vacation time and had my "out of office response" enabled in my Gmail acct, well it sent over 6k emails to people I haven't spoken to in years! I still have not received a response from Google regarding this matter. I just disabled it until I was done.

Avrohom Eliezer Friedman (AEF) [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

<<I also did this during my vacation time and had my "out of office response" enabled in my Gmail acct, well it sent over 6k emails to people I haven't spoken to in years!>>

I don't mean to be mean, but that's really funny.

Gina White [PersonRank 1]

19 years ago #

I can laugh now too.

Avrohom Eliezer Friedman (AEF) [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

Shew! As long as your a good sport about it.

One day I'll tell my grand kids that I was there when Google products were anything but perfect. (It was also before they bought the Internet http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2007-04-14-n32.html and acquired complete world domination.)

Forum home

Advertisement

 
Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

 

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!