Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Jagger Update  (View post)

raheel [PersonRank 0]

Friday, October 21, 2005
18 years ago

Yes Update Jagger is ongoing at Google. I have some good feeling but these are very very temporary and medium-sized ones...

DDonna [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

You know, I think it's rather hilarious how that one guy names these updates. I thought they were actual names given by Google, but I read it's a guy over at webmasterworld.com. is that true?

This update put my site in the number 1 spot for 6 of my top keywords! Traffic has shot through the roof. Here's one problem I have though. The rest of the results just don't seem to be very good. Any term i've searched, it seems as if the top listings are sites I would never look or read. Hopefully they will readjust soon.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Yes DDonna, the names are made up by WebmasterWorld's Brett Tabke, and they don't necessarily represent a "real" Google update (if there still is such a thing as that, as Google continuously updates).

sam [PersonRank 3]

18 years ago #

there sure is a real update going on.
I have several sites that have taken a plunge as there is no Google traffic anymore.

They seem to have made changes that cuase my sites not come up for relevant searches anymore...

Brad [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I have one site which has dropped to zero referrals from Google. A tennis site in Australia.

Sascha [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

considering that www.msn.com has dropped to a pagerank of 2. This can only mean that the iplementation is not completed or that the update must be buggy or just conceptional crap.

i find it very horrible how regardless google acts, many people dependon google to be found to earn their daily bread.

Google should overthink it's new responsibilities, since they got so central and powerfull.

Rick Vidallon [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Me too!
Good info here on what happened.
http://www.thesmsguide.com/blog/index.php/2005/10/24/google-jagger-up...
http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/more-info-on-updates/

Lets all keep our fingers crossed and hope our page positions return. I'm in the same boat with everyone else. Some of the people on other forums suggest I look at the sites that have REPLACED me in page position as they are sites with good seo. That is simply not true.
I looked at the code of these sites, checked their back-links, page content and seo strategy.
Having done this I have determined that these sites have APPEARED arbitrarily. I do remember seeing many of the same sites in mid 2004. It's like Google rooled back the clock.

Good luck to you. As for me, I am suggesting to my web design and SEO clients that Yahoo, MSN, AOL and ASK are more stable and dependable search platforms.
Rick Vidallon
visionefx.net
rick[put at-character here]visionefx.net

Reena [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

My site vanished from google on 25th August 2005 after being there for six years, it reappeared on 26th September 2005 and again vanished on 25th October 2005 ,might be due to this new JAGGER update, I am shocked and very preturbed, kindly anyone help me.
www.womenfitness.net

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Reena, I've seen this happen to a very high profile site before. The only answer that Google could give me was that it's possible that the webserver was slow or offline when they tried to index the site. I find this hard to believe – especially when so many sites that haven't been online for ages are still indexed – but I guess it's a possibility.

Alex [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Hello-

I currently manage SEO for 10 websites. I have seen our rankings drop horribly, all of our sites have a PR of 6 and many PR 4 and 5 sites have higher positions now...

How long should I wait before I change page titles, metatag and keywords mapped to each page?

Please help...

Thanks,
Alex

Mark [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Alex,

This update could go another week or two according to Matt. Don't panic yet.

Mani [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I have studied different views.
a. Duplicate content on a site
b-Hidden Text
c-Lot of reciprocal linking giving google an impression of link spaming
d-Duplicate out bound links.

Now what is actual cause of drop in rankinings of our websites, no one knows.

Best of luck to all.

Matt L [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Seem to be in the minority here, but both my sites leaped up the rankings!

The sites ahead of me had some junk content, but I guess they had some really "good SEO".

Kevin [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Google is a free search engine so I really do not have a bone to pick with them. They are not "required" to list us.

Their updates are just something that they do to ensure they deliver relevant search results to their users.

Each time they implement an update .. we just hold in place ... "when in a mine field, don't move" ... wait for it to settle down, and then make any needed adjustments.

This strategy has worked repeatly to our benefit.

Kevin Sullivan
RBD Group
www.resourcelinks.net

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!