Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Ghost Sites: Quicktime 4  (View post)

Miel [PersonRank 4]

Sunday, October 23, 2005
18 years ago

the download link however leads you to the 7version downloadpage. Bummer.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Does this version of the download have iTunes included? It's titled the Standalone Quicktime Player:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/standalone.html

(It's a tiny link on the Windows download page underneath the "Upgrade to Quicktime 7.0 Pro" box, which you obviously wouldn't bother reading...)

Miel [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

It's a 19MB file, that StandAlone Player.

http://appldnld.m7z.net/qtinstall.info.apple.com/tramper/us/win/QuickTimeInstaller.exe

Direct Link.

Miel [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

Okay, I tried it. The link I've posted above downloads a QuikTime 7, entirely stripped, no sign of iTunes. Latest codecs, blablabla... Just get it. I've encountered no problems at all. (except for the systeme tray icon I had to turn off again :))

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Ah, that's better...

Bryan K. [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I just downloaded Quicktime today. I had an older version, perhaps 3. I'm keeping iTunes for now, because that nano looks like something I might try in the future. So that's their deal. Damn.

I also downloaded Opera today. I think I will stick with Firefox, but will use it to view my page designs in the up-and-coming browser.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I like iTunes actually, and have it home (just didn't want to install it at my sister's computer when all I wanted to install here was Quicktime). The software is easy to use, searching with it is fun (it doesn't care *what* category – title, artist, etc. – you search for, and it find as you type), the design improved in a recent version (no more "wallpaper"), I can listen to songs while ripping a CD, which auto-rips, and so on. These and other points are smaller things that however many other UIs get wrong. There are equally many UI mistakes, the most horrible of all it's no Windows UI (instead, it's a Mac UI – scrollbars, input boxes, select boxes, well... everything – which may or may not be better, but it's not what I've already understood on my OS), but it's possible to work around them. I've heard some here say tho it's a memory hog...

One sin Apple commits though, and which makes me hesistant to download songs via iTunes, is they're not offering me mp3 but instead their own DRMed format, which I can't even give to my girfriend's PC (so that was the last time I bought something on iTunes for her).

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!