Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Video Sitemaps

beussery [PersonRank 10]

Monday, December 17, 2007
16 years ago2,863 views

Google just let video sitemaps out of the bag:
http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2007/12/introducing-video-sitemaps.html

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Hmm. Wouldn't it be better to include such stuff right into (X)HTML? E.g. <a href="link to video player swf" rel="video_player">...</a>

beussery [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Yeah this but this could help make sites in Flash more search friendly especially in some cases where site architecture is a real issue.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Interesting how Google turned into a kind of W3C, releasing standards for web developers :)

beussery [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

True but standards can't help but make content more accessible for engines too and especially when it comes to images.

Bill Mac [PersonRank 9]

16 years ago #

<< Interesting how Google turned into a kind of W3C, releasing standards for web developers :) >>

At least Google gets it done. I read at the WHATWG wiki today that the HTML5 spec won't be finished until 2022. (Or something like that; several years are mentioned, all of them well beyond the near-future.) I'm sure it's meant as tongue-in-cheek. Ha ha. (I actually *am* pretty understanding of the magnitude of work involved.)

But WRT Google defining standards, isn't this what the dominant player in any field is expected to do? Google raises the bar, everyone else improves their game. (Or, when MS is dominant, they just move the bar and don't tell you in the hopes you'll stop playing the game.)

What are Google's motives in this move? Obviously they want to index as much content as possible. But Video Sitemaps will make it easier for all search engines to discover content, so Google must have some damned fancy video/audio search capabilities ready to drop in the near future.

beussery [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Yes Bill I think you are right!

This framework seems similar to the xml behind audio/video podcasts, like that used by iTunes. By providing a brief text "transcript" of audio/video contents, searching "video talks" would be much easier. When you add video sitemaps to Google's voice recognition initiatives there is a lot of potential.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!