Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Woomail VERSUS Gmail

shady [PersonRank 3]

Sunday, January 13, 2008
16 years ago5,382 views

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2008/1/prweb607241.htm

Google should follow woomail's approach.

What do you think?

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I thought it say woman in the title. Dang...

They need to spend a few bucks to hire a (better) web designer, instead of ripping Blogger's design, and made it really ugly too. Also, hire someone who knows about web app security.

anonymous [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]shady
Whats so special woomail approach that Google should follow?

for those who want to see it
username: mytestuser
password: mytestpasswd

Make sure you see the XSS at
https://www.woomail.com/mytestuser
&
mails in inbox
&
mails in sent items

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Dodgy.

Ianf [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Mere reading of that clueless PR-lackey tripe makes one wonder ?what? drug they were on.

"Gmail, Hotmail and Yahoo scramble as Woomail Launches Email Replacement"

...in your dreams...

"A new and viable alternative was desperately needed, and Woomail (www.woomail.com) rose to the challenge."

Lucky us, then.

"Woomail is a new form of electronic messaging that could replace email as the standard. It takes control of electronic messages, giving complete power to the user."

My, my, imagine _complete_ power 'n all!

"Woomail servers control both ends of the information exchange and messages never enter cyberspace."

That'll be the day, when any one actor controls both ends of global communications channels. Nice try, but better luck next time.

Hey, Woomail-folks, ever tried yer hand @inventing a true Perpetuum Mobile? I hear mobile apps are all the *rage*, and you'd get another chance of being perps.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Haochi That's exactly what I thought, Blogger only worse laout

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

This is an appauling product compared with Gmail, and is an example of lazy programming.

It's Fugly, buggy, apparently enterprise ready and from their ToS:
"You agree to grant Woomail.com Inc. a worldwide, royalty-free, perpetual, non-exclusive right and license (including any moral rights or other necessary rights) to use, display, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, distribute, perform, promote, archive, translate, and to create derivative works and compilations, in whole or in part."

I have no control, it seems.

shady [PersonRank 3]

16 years ago #

I like some of their security measures. Of course, I think gmail is by far better. But it would be nice if gmail could have more security features not necessarily that of woomail but more of something like hushmail.

But i don't think gmail will be as secure as hushmail is, or at least, not anytime soon.

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

What an AWFUL idea. They want to replace an open internet protocol that works across servers, companies and operating systems with their proprietary system and keep all the internet communication on their own servers? That's just silly.

Ianf [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Silly it isn't. Cynical, yes. Predatory, that too. Unfortunately the Internet is now so big, and so full of self-replicating suckers --and more of born every day-- that they just *might* sign up enough corporate/ clueless users to give them a head start/ critical mass to stay awhile in "the game."

Rohit Srivastwa [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

You mean this Hushmail

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/11/17/1823225
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/08/hushmail_court_orders/

Ianf [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Not sure who that above was adressed to, and in what context, but the Register-item was interesting never the less.

Back to the subject matter: if I understand the Woomail concept right, they're some sort of private P2P network, scrambled packets for extra security, and that all of a sudden is supposed to make them more secure? Grow up.

shady [PersonRank 3]

16 years ago #

I have heard that google has but will not say how many email accounts they have been given court orders to monitor by the U.S. government.

Despite that, hushmail is still way more secure than gmail is.

yanneth villa [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I bought some greenbags on line and gave them a woomail merchant key when i checked out and they sold my address to seven people within two days. i click on woomail and the problem was solved. Im Hooked.

yanneth villa [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

much better then gmail or hushmail on the woo to woo instant messages

beussery [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Great unless a new client tries to contact you but can't get through because he isn't empowered to do so! Email is based on a proven concept that's over a 100 years old, outdated maybe but then again so is the wheel.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Did you just compare email to the wheel and call the wheel outdated? The wheel is old and timeless, not outdated. Email on the other hand, works as a standard, but would be much better if it could be redone somehow. The Internet itself could benefit from being redone. There's actually people working on that (just google it)

beussery [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Nope didn't say email was outdated, my point was that it's based on mail which has been around nearly as long as the wheel.

Ianf [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Dpic: [...] The Internet itself could benefit from being redone. There's actually people working on that (just google it) [...]

Maybe, though it's doubtful the (basic underlying blocks and methods) can be redone. At best there may appear a parallell "framework" with IOTTCO[*] advantages, which will *IN TIME* supersede, rather than replace, the current one (don't ask me what these advantages could be, though a cellular-like, largely telepatic, network built upon TTCP/IP/Telepax[tm] sounds promising....). But it's not coming soon.

That said, you couldn't bring yourself up to ladle up some pointers to that "rework," but invite us instead, just as you'd be doing it 100 years ago, to look them up, because they, whatever they are, *must be* out there?

[* immediately obvious to the casual observer]

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!