Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Down This Morning?  (View post)

Darren N [PersonRank 0]

Thursday, November 3, 2005
18 years ago

I agree. I've used google for so long, today was simply bizzare. Gmail and some other google services were down. Had me worried, I've applied for a lot of jobs recently and was worried I wouldn't get any replies.

-> Australia, Queensland

Razvan [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Yup true

Adsense down, the others were ok

Sunil [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Yup. At least for about 30 mins. – GMail. Google.com, Reader, Firefox Start Page, et al.

The Doc [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Yep, true enough... I was worried sick 'cause I was doing some tweaking on the code of my site:

www.doctorperu.com

And all of a sudden, google hanging up hanged up my site as well (since adsense got all screwed up)... fortunately in my case at least (leaving in Peru), it was back to normal within 20-25 minutes... but it sure got me scared!

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I've posted an update to the post.

Toby Port [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

It was down for about 1 hour. None of the global google sites worked. .de .com .nz .ch .com .au etc etc At one point they even had DNS entries pulled out of the top level – didnt resolve. something *big* hit them which they are not keen on admitting....

Luc Dubois [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I might be completely off the mark here, but I noticed a change today that struck me, and which could bear some relationship to this. I'm not a Google observer but use it regularly. I'm located in Greece but don't master the Greek language very well. Before today Google would redirect me to Google Greece with a Greek language page. They didn't use the browser-defined preferred language, they just used my IP to determine that. I got rid of that by blocking a cookie (can't remember exactly how or what, I did this some time ago following a hint on the web).
Since today (but I didn't pay attention yesterday) a co-worker of mine (who didn't block this particular cookie) noticed that he got Google Greece in the preferred language, in his case English. I fiddled with it and all the regional Google pages work that way now. If I select Google.it and have my preferred language set to Greek I get the Italian Google site in the Greek language. I like that.

Please delete this message if I made an embarrasment of myself ;-)

18 years ago #

Can't reach Google.com again this moment. Other sites work fine. (Nov. 4, 14:22 CET.)

18 years ago #

And now it's back.

18 years ago #

Google's down for me once more.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!