Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Gmail extra storage question

GuillaumeB [PersonRank 9]

Wednesday, April 9, 2008
16 years ago3,457 views

Hi all,

I have several mail accounts that i forward to GMail. I have chosen this solution instead of pop retrieval because Gmail checkx external pop account every 60 or so minutes which is way to long for me. Forwarding email allows me to get the message right away. Also I have set up thoe external email as alternative from-lines in the composer.

I was wondering if the storage upgrade option gets rid of the "on behalf of gmail..." thing when composing with an external account.

thank you

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

The storage upgrade is just a storage upgrade. Not a paid Gmail with new features.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

<< I was wondering if the storage upgrade option gets rid of the "on behalf of gmail..." thing when composing with an external account. >>

If you want to get rid of that, you should probably sign up for Google Apps (providing you own the domain from which you're sending email).

16 years ago #

Thanks for your answers, I dont like Google Apps cause it does not provide GReader, Picasaweb or Blogger in the same account... an irrational limitations which forces me to go with Gmail unfortunately

Luka [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Well, you can have a google account associated with ANY email address. So you can create a Google account on your Google App domain's email.. This way you have all Google services with one single account.

Mark T [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

To GuillaumeB: You can set your Gmail pop retriever to check ever few minutes too, rather than your current setting of every 60 minutes. Check your Gmail POP settings and amend the changes as per your requirements.

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Mark: What??? 'm confused, where do set this up???

Mark T [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

To GuillaumeB:

Gmail will check for new mail in intervals ranging from every two minutes to once per hour. You can always initiate mail fetching by going to Settings | Accounts and clicking Check mail now under the desired POP3 account.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

GuillaumeB, even if you change your POP Mail Fetcher settings, you'll still see "on behalf of" in various clients when sending emails from that account using Gmail. I would seriously consider signing up for Google Apps and, like Luka suggests, create a Google Account using the same email address. It's not the best solution but it doesn't cause me any problems. (In fact, I use Google Apps and Gmail and it doesn't bother me at all since I'm always signed in.)

You could always forward all your Gmail to your Google Apps account too if you didn't want to check two accounts. (I guess it depends on whether you ever want to send mail from your Gmail account, because then you'll get "on behalf of" appearing the other way... unless you login to your Gmail account and send it directly from there!)

16 years ago #

Hi, leaving aart the "on behalf of gmail" line I checked again the settings of my .Mac account set as pop3 in Gmail and I cant find where you set up the x-minute interval. I see that I can manually fetch mail but there is nothing else for me (?)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!