Google Blogoscoped

Forum

On Leaving Google  (View post)

John Davidson [PersonRank 1]

Tuesday, April 15, 2008
16 years ago4,124 views

Wha?! An employee of a large corporation discovered to his surprise that he might have to do work he wasn't "passionate" about? That's why it's called "work." And that's why workers get paid to do it. Nearly every job requires us to do things we don't like, often for extended periods of time--especially when we have joined the company less than a year ago. This, of course, is why I am posting this comment: to avoid the unpleasant tasks I have to finish this morning.

Rich [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Ditto, only I don't have as much time as you.

Andy Wong [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I pretty much agree with John. Apparently this engineer rarely switched among companies, and just want to find fun and excitement in shinning Google. Behind most shining products, there are loads of boring hard works done by engineer's WORK. The WORK is WORK, not the work of art.

It is common that you need to learn different development framework and methodology etc in a new company (especially in an industry leader like Google), and the learning process may take weeks or months to make your be 80% productive.

Justin T. C. [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Uhmm, what the heck is that stupid thing about Google Robots; written November 1st, 2030? This website is totally a waste of time, and I don't understand what the heck it's doing or what its motivation is. Tell me???

Ianf [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Hold on.... DigitalHobbit clearly stated what drove him to abandon Google for a startup:

> I have realized that I am just much more of a startup person
> than a big-company person. Perks and everything are great,
> but this is ultimately not what motivates me. [...]
http://www.digitalhobbit.com/archives/2008/04/13/on-leaving-google/

So first he passed Google's fine-grained recruting sieve, then realized it wasn't this bag, then passed up on further employment security at the price of daily work-task discontent.... what's wrong with that? Wish I were so brave once upon a time....

See it as extension of Eric Raymond's cathedral-vs-bazaar mentality; perhaps also some of what could've been missing when (e.g.) HuddleChat implementers OBVIOUSLY weren't hungry enough to write a more distinctive sample GAE app.
[ http://blogoscoped.com/forum/128431.html#id128697]

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!