Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Scientology's Google Ads  (View post)

Zip [PersonRank 0]

Saturday, April 26, 2008
16 years ago7,300 views

I see these Scientology ads all over the place and I make sure to click on them to help do my part to drain Scientology. I wonder how much they pay per click, is there any way to know? I see there's one in this page right now, just clicked on it.

Angela Gupta Bruce Benson Trudy Johnson [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I'm not a Scientologist but I bet they're just advertising alot because they want to help people, not to bury anything that might be suppresive.

Timothy Mudkips [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I'm not a Scientologist but I know quite a few. Never can get a straight answer out of them about anything. There's just something... /off/ about them. And their kids... I don't know what they teach them at 'scientology' school, but they don't know crap about math, history, and they sure haven't read much literature (I don't most even know who Socrates was).

And the high-pressure sales job they do... they make a lot of (really fantastic but incredibly vague) promises, and then demand you sign up – but they never offer ANY evidence that their claims are true!

It's very snake-oil-salesman. Doesn't Google have a policy against running ads for just that?

Bing [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I'm not a Scientologist either, but I know quite a few as well. None of them are they way the media portrays them. Scientology, while not like traditional religions (which have plenty of oddity themselves; we're just used to the ideas that Jesus walked on water and Moses parted the sea) is still a religion. And the right to faith is an absolute, much like the free speech anti-Scientologist protesters use (and as is used by some "extremist" Scientologists when they yell back at those protesters – who them whine that they've been harassed).

Sorry, but all this bigoted crap is annoying. Don't spread it blogoscoped, or you'll have lost one more regular reader.

notbigotry [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

scientology is not a religion.

period.

Anonymous [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Look at all of the Scientology staff members who start their posts with a lie: "I am not a Scientologist but...."

Even in a comment section about their advertising techniques, they cannot help but attempt to decieve. Lucky for us they are really bad at it.

David M. [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Bing:

The problem isn't with anyone's beliefs, but with the abuses of the organization. For example, why are Scientologists told to "disconnect" from friends or family members who are declared to be a "Suppressive Person" for leaving the organization, for disagreeing with official policy, or for even more minor actions? Why, when confronted with the broken families that such a policy inevitably creates, do some representatives of Scientology flatly deny that such a policy exists, while others admit its existence but claim that it is a measure to "protect the Church from harm"? (http://www.exscientologykids.com/disconnection.html)

Why are staff overworked and underpaid? What kind of religion has a group like the Rehabilitation Project Force? (http://www.xenu-directory.net/practices/rpf.html) Why are members of the elite Sea Org coerced into having abortions? (http://www.xenu-directory.net/practices/seaorgabortion1.html)

What kind of religion has a policy that allows critics to be "deprived of property or injured by any means by any Scientologist without any discipline of the Scientologist"? Or to be "tricked, sued or lied to or destroyed"? (http://www.exscientologykids.com/fairgame.html) Why would a bona fide religion have to sue the IRS into complacency to gain tax-exempt status? (http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Cowen/essays/irs.html) Why would they make false bomb and death threats in the name of their critics? (http://www.xenu-directory.net/critics/cooper1.html)

Are these the actions of a religion, or a dangerous cult?

Freshmeat [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

You can always tell when a Scientologist is lying, their lips are moving. Scientology's "help" coasts a lot of money.

Unlike traditional religions Scientologist won't even discuss what their religious beliefs, practices, or policies are. They do however make vague comparisons and lie saying Scientology is just like other religions even though they won't tell you what they believe (e.g. Xenu, Body Thetans). It's a big secret, and the only way to understand what Scientologist believe is to pay lots of money for Scientology courses, auditing, and other BS. When you decided to join Scientology you're making a decision without knowing what you're getting into. You're also probably caving into their high pressure sales tactics.

They do however promise you that Scientology can cure whatever ails you. They'll also give you a bogus stress test--which no one ever passes--so they can sell you Scientology products that they claim will fix you. They don't call it selling though, they call it making fixed donations. See how that loophole works.

Scientology also has lots of lawyers, and private investigators to sue and harass anyone that so much as criticizes them. You have to have teeth and fangs and snap at anyone to maintain a religion, that you know is just like all those other weird religions. There's nothing strange going on behind that big defensive wall.

Also unlike other traditional religions Scientology is highly unaffordable.
So once they've drained you financially you can volunteer to join the staff (they'll pressure you into it) getting paid less than minimum wage, and earning commissions for bring in "freshmeat". You may even get the honor of being asked to join the Sea Org where you'll be asked to sign a billion year contract. Try leaving Scientology then, just try it, it won't be easy. If you try to leave they'll call you a "freeloader" and hand you a bill for thousands of dollars that there's no way you can pay for because you've been working for the Co$ for less than minimum wage. If you're lucky they'll "offload" you once you're broke, and have a few screws rattling around. All your Scientology friends and family won't see you again. Sounds like a normal religion to me.

Ann O'Nymous [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I concur: all posts beginning with "I'm not a Scientologist but..." are actually written by scientologists.

It is amazing that they are not even able to be aware of that. It makes them so predictable.

Some proposals:
- "My dog is not a scientologist, but..."
- "My lawyer is not a scientologist, but..."
- "My cousin is not a scientologist, but..."
- "Xenu is not a scientologist, but..."
- "My body thetans are not scientologists, but..."

Ben Allen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Every time Scientology is mentioned here it brings out the weirdos.

I say..

SHUNN THE NONBELIEVER... SHUNNN.. uhh.. SHUNN..

bgodley [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I'm not a Scientologist, but I used to be. Anyone who tells you they aren't a Scientologist and goes on to praise the cult probably is one. I know this because I was coerced by my superiors to do so lest I face discipline.

Arve [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Upon reading this, I just removed adsense ads on my main site, and I will remove ads and search from other sites as well.

Veky [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I'm not a scientologist. :-D

Ok, a little bit more seriously... if someone told me "Scientology is so wonderful and nice, and... by the way, I'm not a scientologist", I'd honestly ask them "Why not?!" :-)

Anonymous Pap [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

It's easier when you're sheeple, isn't it.

David Mudkips [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

The question I have is this: how can this "issue management" be managed?

It is obvious that Google searches out groups undergoing negative publicity and offers to help them – these groups are desperate and willing to spend cash profligately to fix the problem. This can only go so far, usually, as there are the twinned problems of (a) not enough cash to put an ad next to each unfriendly reference, and (b) too many unfriendly references. Scientology doesn't appear to have these problems.

First of all, they've got boodles of cash thanks to operating on slave labor and hefty donations from celebrity and high-end local donors. They are spending like crazy on setting up interlinked networks of web sites and buying ads on Google.

Secondly, they are quashing unfriendly references. It's evident that the COS is getting smarter about squashing opposition on the internet. Lawsuits don't work as well as they used to, but gaming the system still does. Mass spoofing of Digg/Reddit/Etc to quash submitted articles. Threats against YouTube that remove detractors accounts. Tagging and flagging to reduce the amount of unfriendly references, and where absolutely necessary resorting to legal threats to effect temporary takedowns of virally spreading material.

They've learned that momentum is important. Viral spread is incredible, but if you can just get material removed for a few days it can be crippling to a meme's growth.

How does a concerned public make sure their voice is still heard?

WRITE TO GOOGLE: they have a standing policy against gaming their search results. The COS has set up interlocking sites, owned by the COS, to crosslink raise the search relevance to swamp unfriendly references off the first page. Look at a google search on <a href="http://www.xenu.net/">scientology</a> : You see the following sites...
scientology.org
scientologytoday.org
whatisscientology.org
scientologyhandbook.org
page 2 includes:
scientologyreligion.org
bonafidescientology.org

ALL of these are substantively identical sites owned and operated by the same corporation, being used to artificially move honest, separate, and relevant search targets from the first page of results. THIS IS GAMING THE GOOGLE SEARCH BY A CORPORATE ENTITY.

Will writing to Google and complaining stop this practice? It is against their policies. Maybe we need a Wired Magazine article on this. Write to Wired, write to Google, and get them to enforce their policy... even against a substantial source of advertising revenue.

Mary McConnell [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

If you add in all the (scientologist) Kimora Lee Simmons latest album popup ads on all articles that are critical o the cult, the marketing via Google is widespread.

Kimora Lee: No Scientology

Kimora Lee Simmons — celebrity designer, ex-wife of Russell Simmons and great beauty — is not happy with Scientology.

On Thursday, we had to call her press person and inform her that Kimora is being featured in a new Scientology promotional video. The sect’s chief, David Miscavige, can be seen in the video telling followers that Simmons has been distributing the group’s "Way to Happiness" propaganda pamphlet in New Jersey and Los Angeles....

"Kimora is not a Scientologist. We have nothing to do with this."
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,329807,00.html

Kimora Lee Simmons, Agent of Scientology
http://socialitelife.celebuzz.com/2008/02/08/kimora_lee_simmons_agent_of_scientology.php

echolalia [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I'm not a Scientologist, but I love clicking on their ads!

Paul Robinson [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Lobbying google and making it an issue that they seem happy to act as corporate shills for an organization about which:

Justice Anderson, Supreme Court of Victoria, Australia said:

"Scientology is evil; its techniques are evil; its practice is a serious threat to the community, medically, morally, and socially; and its adherents are sadly deluded and often mentally ill... (Scientology is) the world's largest organization of unqualified persons engaged in the practice of dangerous techniques which masquerade as mental therapy."

and Kenneth Robinson, British Minister of Health:

"The government is satisfied that Scientology is socially harmful. It alienates members of families from each other and attributes squalid and disgraceful motives to all who oppose it; its authoritarian principles and practice are a potential menace to the personality and well being of those so deluded as to become followers; above all, its methods can be a serious danger to the health of those who submit to them... There is no power under existing law to prohibit the practice of Scientology; but the government has concluded that it is so objectionable that it would be right to take all steps within its power to curb its growth."

Wise up Google. You seem to be getting futher and further from your promise to "do no evil".

Marc Abrian [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Scientology is a tax-exempt charitable CORPORATION, as defined by the IRS. It's a CORPORATION that likes to play the, "OMG RELIGIOUS BIGOTRY!" card anytime it is criticized.

It's not the "religious" (cough) aspects of Scientology that have people pissed off. It's the ILLEGAL and FRAUDULENT activities that have the public bent-out-of-shape about this. I mean, what other "church" has been found guilty of espionage? Kidnapping? Manslaughter? Fraud? Practicing medicine without a license? Trying to frame its critics with self-made bomb threats?

I mean... REALLY. If it were any other tax-exempt charitable corporation, say, the March of Dimes pulling this sort of crap, they'd have 10,000 protesters at their doorstep as well.

It's not the religion that's being protested against. It's the illegal and immoral actions by it's top brass and some of its followers that is.

Quit hiding behind the cloak of religion when committing criminal acts. That's disgusting.

Anne Lee [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I'm not a scientologist, but I've looked at their new video channel www.scientology.org where they explain everything to you. Seriously, you'll have it there, everything will be clear. If these bigoted, misguided people would at least get the information straight from the source, and not believe every lie someone in the shadows tell them, they'll be much happier and saner.

Scientology is a religion and is based on facts and knowledge. Courses are really affordable if you join staff and Scientology has many cures for Aids, cancer, dyslexia and so on. Anf you're IQ will rise that is SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN!!!!

Seriously, it might be a bit kooky, but it doesn't hurt anyone. Unlike those anonymous hackers.

Peter [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I'm sorry Anne but I have must disabuse you of the notion that Scientology is a "bit kooky" and "doesn't hurt anyone".

If it was merely a "bit kooky" almost 10000 people wouldn't have demonstrated against it worldwide on February 10th, March 15th and April 12th.

If it "doesn't hurt anyone" then I'd like to know why Scientology OFFICIALS working in it's counter-intelligence arm have plotted to murder people who've been brave enough to criticize them (former Clearwater Mayor Gabriel Cazares (Google "Operation Speedy Gonzales)) and tried to frame other critics for making false bomb threats (Google "Operation Freakout").

The "church" may like to suggest that this no-longer goes on or that it was the the work of a few "overzealous Scientologists", (as they always do, even though these overzealous "few" included the founder and his own wife), so I'd like to ask them why it was that in a court case as recent as ten years ago, they laughably requested that a large number of criminal actions to which they'd subjected the plaintiff, could not be ruled against due to the fact that they were "core religious activities" and as such protected under the constitution (Wollersheim). Fortunately the Judge didn't accept that burglary, witness tampering, criminal harrasment (murdering pets and leaving their carcasses on their owners doorsteps) were deserving of such protection, even if there use was recommended in the "church's" "holy books".

Anyone who has any doubts at all that this is not in fact a vicious criminal self-help scam that uses the cloak of religion and the methods of organized crime to avoid prosecution, I can only recommend that you visit both their site scientology.org and either xenu.net or wikipedia's own articles on Scientology.
This is a truly dangerous group, banned in a number of countries for good reason.

Terryeo (tm) Terryeo [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Hi, I'm a Scientologist, but if I weren't I'd be free to tell you to visit www.xenu.net for everything you'd ever want to know about Scientology.

Lucy [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Anne Lee

"Scientology is a religion and is based on facts and knowledge. Courses are really affordable if you join staff and Scientology has many cures for Aids, cancer, dyslexia and so on. Anf you're IQ will rise that is SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN!!!"

I find it somewhat ironic that you claim not to be a scientologist and yet repeat the same tired rhetoric that scientology does.

Scientology will not cure you of aids, cancer, or anything else; and if they can prove that it will, why do they not share this with the world so that the billions who suffer from these things can recover and lead normal, happy lives? If they held the cure to so many ills and claim only to want to help, they would offer this help at no cost instead of charging so heavily for it.

The simple truth is that the teachings of scientology are designed to do one thing and one thing only: To indoctrinate and force conformity upon the unfortunate people who get caught by it.

I am also amused that you claim it will increase "you're" IQ, when you cannot even use correct grammatical terms.

This is for you my friend.

Facepalm.jpg

Peter Daley [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I'm not a Scientologist, but I once spent an afternoon at their Sydney office and did their tests. What a bunch of fucking lying retards they were. One guy actually promised my hearing loss (10% in one hear, which is permanent) could be cured by gripping his electric pole and answering his stupid questions.

J hoo [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

My sister got sucked in for a time and left.

It broke us apart completly for over 8 years.

They told her literaly that if we talk to her, we would ruin her life.

Get A. Life [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Please Help me ANNONYmous! I AM A SCIENTOLOGIST.

I'm brainwashed and think aliens sucked my brain out and blah blah blah.... I gave anyway all my money, I have no house, no car, not even any clothes on my back left.............

Way to go on clicking those $.05 cent ads!!!

But seriously, ya'll need to get a life.

Satan [PersonRank 6]

16 years ago #

Scientologists, Protestants, Hindus, Buddhists, Muslims, Catholics, Jews... I can't wait to see all of you! Except you, Jehovah's Witnesses: you're too weird for me!

Andy Wong [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I see, all joined Scientology are idiots, from comments above. However, criticizing Scientology is quite off-topic against this post.

After all, Google Ads policy just need to conforms US laws, and other local laws around the world, as other public companies will do. Censorship is the last thing that a public commercial company (except some newspapers) would do.

Terryeo [uniquely relieved] [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Scientology is a study of knowledge to understand it. If you don't understand something what should you do? -That's up to you- However, if you did wish to learn how to understand what you do know then you would study Scientology which, is a study bridging that tiny gap between "knowledge in recall" and "understood, immediately useable knowledge".

Centurian 10 [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

The Terryeo in the post prior to this one is an OSA (Office of Special Affairs – Dirty Trix Office) shill whos job it is to post positively about the cult of scientology accross the internet. He has been banned for life from such pages as Wikipedia but has a friend who owns Wikinfo who has him as the scientology editor (to lend it some credibility supposedly) For the full story on Terryeo please check out http://www.encyclopdiadramatica/Terryeo

For the truth about scientology the cult simply check out the page done BY people that have escaped the cult, FOR people who have escaped the cult at:

http://www.forum.exscn.net/index.php?

For more on the relities of the cult of scientology check out:

http://www.xenu.net
http://www.exseaorg.com/
http://whyaretheydead.net/
http://theunfunnytruth.ytmnd.com/

Centurian 10 [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/Terryeo

Freshmeat [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

When you say that Scientology is a study of knowledge, you make it sound like a scientific method, with it isn't. Scientology/Dianetics is pure science fiction. E.g.: (Engrams, e-meters thetan) If Scientology could actually do what it claims it wouldn't be a cult it would be mainstream. The facts are it doesn't, Scientology can't withstand scrutiny.

Furthermore it isn't a religion either it's an invented new age cult that bilks it's members and suppresses it's critics. Scientology leaders will do anything per Hubbard's orders to keep their money making scam going. That makes it a criminal organization.

Scientology can't help anyone at least not in the way it claims. Scientology didn't even help it's founder who's own life was a huge mess. Hubbard had three wives one of which he married while he was still legally married to another. That makes Hubbard a bigamist. His third wife Mary Sue Hubbard was sent to prison for doing Hubbard's bidding A.K.A Operation Snow White. Hubbard disowned her after that to avoid his own criminal prosecution. Hubbard's son Quentin was said to be a homosexual which Hubbard was against committed suicide, after he was demoted by Hubbard. Hubbard's other son disowned him. Hubbard died a crazy drug addled recluse.

Scientology has also disconnected David Miscavige's family. Bottom line Scientology doesn't work, it destroys it's members lives, it has and still attempts to destroy it's critics lives to protect it's bottom line, and breaks apart families. All for what? So a few people at the top of the pyramid can line their own pockets.

You can judge for yourself as to why and how people get tricked into joining, and staying into Scientology. It's obvious why Scientology suppresses criticisms, and takes many measures to insulate it's member from hearing any criticism. The "religion" even uses hypnosis
to train it's members how to serve Scientology, and punishes those who step out of line. It's a method of brainwashing. Scientology is a dangerous cult do yourself a favor and avoid it like a plague, and be warned if you dare criticize it.

Yo [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Why are we arguing?

Mia [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I don't know why are they using a cross in their name/logo. Isn't that Christian?

By the way, does anyone have the exact url's that I should filter in my Adsense account? My blog is plagued by those ads :(

Ross [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

In my opinion its just a load of guff to get people to part with their hard earned cash. Has anyone here actualy read the details of the basis of scientology – its great secret knowledge? Its ludicrous. Try wikipedia's article if you havent.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!