Google Blogoscoped

Forum

DomainTools' Paid Links  (View post)

John Honeck [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, April 29, 2008
16 years ago6,645 views

They also state in their sales page: http://www.domaintools.com/sponsor/

That the aboutus.org links shown when looking at a particular domain are bought and paid for, with juicy metrics to boot.

beussery [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Thanks for the coverage and good point John. If you check Google's backlinks to the vps landing page you'll see it is the real deal. Worth also pointing out the vps landing page has a PR of 6 same as the home page.

I just feel like Google should be aware of this issues because it sends the wrong message about an already controversial topic.

Matt Cutts [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

When I checked this morning it looks like the ad at
http://whois.domaintools.com/example.com
now has a redirect through "/go/", which has a robots.txt blocking /go/ .

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

(Added an update, thanks Matt!)

John Honeck [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

They better get busy writing their reconsideration request and document the change to redirecting through the /go/ folder. It seems like their impending PageRank penalty hasn't filtered through the datacenters yet, but it would be good to get ahead of it. They should get their PageRank back in a couple weeks if the reconsideration request is accepted. If it's not accepted the PageRank penalty will persist until they fix and document any other discretions and file another reconsideration request. They won't get any feedback so as to not tip off the die-hard spammers.

At least that's the process I've seen for many sites that aren't partners with Google and get caught selling links.

beussery [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here] Matt
Sorry for causing any headaches but thanks for addressing as well as resolving this issue so quickly! I've updated my post...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!