Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google’s PR head Mr. Elliot Schrage heads to Facebook  (View post)

Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, May 6, 2008
16 years ago4,350 views

"The Googlefication of Facebook continues, as Elliot Schrage, the search giant’s vice president of global communications and public affairs, takes the title of vice president of communications and public policy at the popular social networking site."

Link:
http://kara.allthingsd.com/20080505/googles-pr-head-elliot-schrage-heads-to-facebook/

And from the blog post too:
"Other Googlers who have recently moved to Facebook include: Ben Ling, who is Facebook’s director of platform product marketing and Ethan Beard, who is its business development director."

Above 1 comments were made in the forum before this was blogged,

Piotr [PersonRank 2]

16 years ago #

Facebook reached its peak in 2006 and has been declining since then. At first, people were excited about revealing themselves and their details, now it's just a privacy disaster. It's a good thing Zuckerdouche hired a Google PR guy, because he's going to need all the spin he can muster to change the perception of complete privacy failure (read: Beacon, News Feed). I'm glad I stopped using Facebook in fall 2007.

Satan [PersonRank 6]

16 years ago #

Whatever Piotr. Facebook is getting better every day in the way it deals with privacy concerns, and comparatively speaking, not very many people even care about it! There are reasons why Facebook may not make any money, but it has little or nothing to do with privacy.

Anonymous Regular [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

For me the problem with facebook(besides the privacy which is a problem with every database based service) is the usability:
I opened an account to stay in touch with friends abroad, but it's always very complicated to see who is online at this moment and how to send them a message.

But this is a problem with a lot of social networks/messaging services on the web, it's the same with linked in, xing and so on, it annoys me to update my profile or to learn how to use their user interface.

One social network which has a very nice UI in my opinion is ppmoon.com / purplestar.ch(A social network which started out as a meeting point for gays, lesbians and friends in switzerland but is getting more and more users around the world which don't have somehting to do with homosexuality). There I have my Favourite Contacts which are online and the latest Private Messages in a panel on the right hand side of the browser window and see who's online and ready to chat at a glance. When I receive a new message a popup opens(This feature can be disabled if I don't want the popup).

I like this because I see always whos on and if someone sent me a message.

In Facebook it happened that soemone sent me a message trough one of the various ways(Message, Wall2Wall, hunderds of Applications and so on) and I only realised it weeks later.

Disclaimer: I'm not posting this comment under my real name as normally because of privay reasons, I don't want to have a search for purplemoon and my real name show up something in a search engine, hope this is OK for the moderators.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!