Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Apps and GTalk & Jabber

GuillaumeB [PersonRank 9]

Monday, May 19, 2008
16 years ago5,289 views

Hi

So I have followed the advice of several members of this forum and decided to move to Google Apps for my personal domain.

Now I have a couple of questions related to GTalk

1) Basically I would like this personal email address to be used as my messenger nickname.
So right now what can i do?

In order to use it in Adium or any other multi messenger like Meebo I understand that I have to create SRV DNS at my webhost. (http://www.google.com/support/a/bin/answer.py?answer=34143) I'm currently trying to figure this out as i dunno if my webhost (Amen.fr supports such a configuration). Some people are advising to move to web-dns.co.uk. However, the thing is that my webhost also gives me 2GB of web storage so would I lose this storage if i move there? To be more precise, my current server DNS are:
DNS 1 : ns1.amen.fr
DNS 2 : ns2.amen.fr
My DNS zone points to an IP address 195.8.78.1
And then I have a bunch of DNS like ASPMX2 for Google Apps mail
So basically do you have any idea of what i should be doing at web-dns.co.uk ?

2) Say all this mess (it's a big mess for me!) is not possible and i'm stuck with GTalk then is there a way for me to use Google web widget? it sees I need a Gmail account to log in there...

In fact I am also trying to figure out a way to use this email on messenger on my iPhone. I can create a Microsoft Passport and chat with Live Messenger and Yahoo! But I'm interested in Jabber for GTalk and AIM (and therefore .Mac as well)

Should anyone enligthen me on those questions I would really really appreciate.

Thank you.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Sorry, I can't help with the SRV records as I've never done that. But I can help with this one:

> 2) Say all this mess (it's a big mess for me!) is not possible and
> i'm stuck with GTalk then is there a way for me to use Google >
> web widget? it sees I need a Gmail account to log in there...

You can use this one (replacing example.com with your domain):

http://hostedtalkgadget.google.com/a/example.com/talkgadget/popout

16 years ago #

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate.
Seems a real pain to move to Google Apps. I knew i shuld not have done that. I have already done that a long time ago with another domain and realized that I needed services only offered to Gmail accounts like the Reader.

Clearly Google Apps is way behind Microsoft's offer...

16 years ago #

One solution that I have found:

To create an AIM account by using your personal email address to be able to chat with your GTalk contact.
And it will enable you to use your personal email address in multi messenger like Meeboo or Adium

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!