Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Using Gmail to read Yahoo mail (and subfolders)

JB [PersonRank 1]

Monday, May 19, 2008
16 years ago10,033 views

I recently figured out that i can have gmail retrieve my yahoo mail and enjoy reading all my mail through the gmail client.

But, subscribe to many lists w/my yahoo account and have them go directly into subfolders in Yahoo mail through filters. Problem is Gmail doesn't retrieve these messages that go directly to subfolders in Yahoo. Anyone know how I can make this happen?

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Sorry, I can't answer you question, but I would ask why you're filtering the messages in your Yahoo account if you're reading them in Gmail. Why not just filter the subscriptions using labels in Gmail instead?

JB [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

The subscriptions were originally made through my yahoo account. Most of these are member only groups, so it'd be a pain to resubscribe from the gmail account.

The "filters" are just rules that place incoming email from a specific group to a dedicated subfolder. Gmail is not pulling these subfolders from the pop server.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I don't mean re-subscribe using Gmail, I just mean remove the filters from Yahoo and just setup new filters in Gmail. Admittedly, that's a pain too but unless there's a setting somewhere that allows you to download all email via POP regardless of whether it's in a Yahoo Mail subfolder that may be your only option.

JB [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Yeah, that would work but that would wack out my whole Yahoo inbox. Not fully ready to commit to yahoo via gmail yet. I just figured the POP option would work for subfolders as well, guess not.

GuillaumeB [PersonRank 9]

16 years ago #

POP only retrieves the inbox folder...In your case you'd need IMAP on Yahoo which currently only is available to iPhone users and Mail plus subscribers using Zimbra

JB [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I have mail plus. I looked at the ZImbra homepage but can't see how that would come into play here. Could you elaborate?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!