Forum

Google Logo --Diego Velázquez

xujie [PersonRank 5]

Friday, June 6, 2008
16 years ago6,655 views

http://www.google.cn/logos/velasquez.gif

Ash [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Now they're just showing off. I mean, c'mon!

segjknvkwe [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

lol yeah :P

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Hey, Google: When you have a "special" logo almost every day, it stops being special. :)

patricia h [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I agree. I have enjoy the signifigance of "celebrating" the first hot air balloon and other events, but I just dont get this one. Are they going to do every historical artists (or other) birthdays? Its going to be tedious. Instead of wondering of what happened today, it will turn to ''now what?''.

124 [PersonRank 4]

16 years ago #

Google should celebrate another person's birthday, rather than a Spanish artist who is almost dead 500 years ago. I was expecting a doodle on D-Day (the Allied Invasion of Europe) than an artist. Come Google, this doodle about Diego Velázquez isn't any good. And this logo isn't special at all.

TL [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I think it's great...someone may have had a ball creating this! Keep up the exceptional work and keep doing what makes you happy :-) Can't wait to see what you have next :-)

Pete [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

my spanish teacher will be happy with this one

Todd [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Well, I guess google wants to be international since it doesn't work ONLY on USA. Keep that in mind USA it's almost the center of the world, but there are other contries that are amazed that google puts this kind of culture on their start page.

Kirby Witmer [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Its showing in the US too.

http://www.google.com/logos/velasquez.gif

John O'Neal [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I hope a few people click on the image and find out more about Diego Velázquez. He's one of the great artists that people recognize but don't know. I enjoy the different "art" that google posts almost every day. Without doing a lot of research, I know that there are at least three Diego paintings represented. Probably more. Great job Google.

Michelle Patel [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I was so exited and surprised to see Las Meninas on the Google logo this morning! The painting has been my favorite since I was in my teens and Diego Velasquez is and has been an inspiration to artists for centuries. I appreciate that Google takes creative license when considering what event, person, special day to honor ....

Ildiko Harsanyi [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

nice going

patricia h [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Heres a link to the logos they didnt choose! Kinda funny... http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2006-01-05-n11.html

Eeps [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

What I love about the logo is the way it continues the idea of the painting being a mirror reflection of the room--the ins & outs of the letters being consistent (I think) with what would be in a reflected image if the letters were in the room. Very clever, very fun.

(Side note: I bet D-Day has been recognized in other years, and may well be again, and rightfully so.)

Jepax [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Disappointingly enough some people have, it seems, absolutely no culture. Las Meninas is known as one of the most important western painting of all time and is, for some of us with a slight degree of understanding in art culture, a philosophical perfection.

Google I personally think you should keep posting informative logos, although I think many of us would greatly appreciate if you would post a small descriptive text below as well.

Thanks

Nathan Rogers-Madsen [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Velazquez is critical to our understanding of art, Spanish and Dutch history, and cultural meaning. He perhaps only plays second fiddle to his contemporary Caravaggio. Arguably he surpassed Rubens and Van Dyck. He explains Catholic values (and, by exclusion, Protestant as well), the difference between aristocratic and middle class values, and the contested position of artists and viewers and art.

[snipped...]

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!