Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Fred, YouTube Sensation  (View post)

Martyn P [PersonRank 1]

Monday, June 30, 2008
15 years ago7,015 views

These are really funny! I've subscribed to them now. It's amazing how things can be so popular yet so unknown.

Annoyed [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

That is entertainment?

Dinah [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I guess I know when I've gotten too old – when the new strange internet memes are not entertaining, merely obnoxious

siggi [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Obnoxious is the new "funny" (not enough double quotes to disctance me ;-)) – Ok, I rest my case, I am old.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I think the videos have a nice hypnotic pace and they made me laugh. Look at some of the "Fred-style" video responses his videos are getting for how to get the pace wrong :)

Thomas [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

The world is coming to an end.

AL7AIR [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

[extremely slowed down voice] T h i s g u y i s i r r i t a t i n g [/extremely slowed down voice]

Kathy [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Fred is soooo awesome and hilarious! Rock on!

Jaan Kanellis [PersonRank 3]

15 years ago #

When I hear these videos I want to stab my eye with an ice pick.

pabarriu [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I live in a country far far away, in the southerns regions of America...almost touching the south pole...We have the dryest desert, the coldest plains, the bigger mountains, fragmented territory, and a chilling sea...almost isolated from the outer world....but now I realize that this may be an advantage....if only i wasn´t so curious and wouldn't have played that video...if only....oooooh! the humanity....

Also getting a bit old----> Obnoxious

Filipe [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Kids consume digital tech. Simply they can´t get enough. Popularity can be now a global phenomenon. Don´t you all remember all the stupid things you did when you were 14 years old? Can you imagine what 30, 40 years old thought aus then

Grown ups are aware because they do want to make bucks. They want to continue doing so. Nowadays this brats in order to express themselves they consume. Here in Portugal in average we have more than two cellulars per person. We sms more quickly. than our heart bumps.

Most profit digital companies are cellular content producers. They profit from this ages because young people are just like this, decade after decade. Difference is...now when they express on a open window outside all the world is watching and leaving marks... page views, rankings,,, pure curiosity...this one, another immutable human characteristic.

lem [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Well lets eat shit – millions of flies cannot be wrong.

lr [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

this truly sux.

i definitely won't watch him again. ugh.

kgrbal [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Fred is adorable! I grew up in the generation that was exposed to computers. Yet, I know what life was like before the internet. So it's interesting to see the wide range of reactions that Fred can bring up.

This generation knows that it's not to be taken so literal. Not to say that anyone would. But the expectation is different. He's sweet, innocent and still fully aware of the world around him.

I'm over the age of 18 and I like Fred.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/meet-fred-youtube-smash-/486249800

adam hendriks [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

being an ex-teenyoutuber which sounds pretty gay, i see so many kids and even adults doing what i did. putting pointless videos up making a dick of yourself. teenagers are main focus though, that people can make dogshit shit and ppl like it. fred isnt so bad compared to others but fuck me he has millions of views for this hi-pitch piece of shit which isnt funny. i admit i laughed a few minor things but this is not worthy of millions of views.

and kudos to lem for this
"Well lets eat shit – millions of flies cannot be wrong."

Hannah-hoo [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

"Fred" may not be extremely witty or clever in what he does – but he's making a lot of people laugh. I actually do find it quite funny – it's absurdity is its excellence!

I think maybe a few of you people labelling him as "obnoxious" need to lighten up – just a little bit.

mrbene [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Taste!= Talent

I've got to agree with Hannah.

I watched one, didn't like, and haven't looked at this since. However, just because I didn't like doesn't mean the person putting this together doesn't have some talent. And I'd say that he actually does have talent, and dedication, and that those are things that he'd be able to apply elsewhere.

Obnoxiousness and stupidity have been key to comedy since, well, a very long time. I think one of my favorite implementations of obnoxious is Who's on First, the Abbott and Costello skit. And tell me that Harpo Marx wasn't an annoying character? Then look at earlier stuff – comedy has had it's lowbrow component since forever.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!