Google Blogoscoped

Forum

[OT] Firefox now with command line browsing

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, August 27, 2008
15 years ago3,639 views

Mozilla released an experimental plugin for Firefox in which you can type natural language to browse the web & to interact with webservices.

Read more on:
http://www.webmonkey.com/blog/Make_the_Web_Do_Your_Bidding_With_Firefox_s_New_Ubiquity_UI

But is this really new? Yahoo does this already for ages now with there Shortcut service, it's accessible from every yahoo search box. And as shown in the comments of the article there are already a lot of other services that are doing simular stuff...

In my opinion this shouldn't be part of the browser, certainly not as an extra plugin, it should be build in in the regular search engines like yahoo does...

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

This is based on Enso (http://humanized.com/enso/) and it has very little to do with YubNub, Yahoo Shortcuts, etc. It's a great way to make the command line easier to use by integrating it with user interfaces. Some examples of features from Enso:

* select a text in any program, launch Enso, type Translate and the text is replaced with the translation
* select an address, launch Enso, type Map and you get a map of your address (in the same context, without opening a new page)
* select a Math expression from a Word document, launch Enso, type calculate and the expression is replaced with the result
* control a music player by typing things like "next track", "pause track".

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Is it based on enso? I saw your article on enso a while back Ionut, and I really liked what I saw, but I'm too cheap to buy it :P I really like unity, I've been using it for an hour or so now.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

And now enso is free! Haha *downloads*

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!