Google Blogoscoped

Forum

[Google Chrome] no sound when playing vids?

Ian Thomson [PersonRank 1]

Thursday, September 4, 2008
15 years ago74,529 views

Just installed yesterday. Vids were playing fine in google.video and bbc iplayer then, all of a sudden, no sound! I uninstalled chrome then installed again, vids worked fine once then no sound again. Very annoying. Anyone got any ideas?

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

It has nothing to do with Chrome. I have this with FF too. I think it is a bug in Flash. Sometimes I have the opposite too. I close a page with a flash video on, an the sound keeps on going... Very ennoying too :(

Ian Thomson [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Looks like I managed to sort the problem – I uninstalled Adobe Flash Player and then reinstalled. Seems to have fixed

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Great, should try this too ;-)

night wing [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

i am also havng the same problem... but i dnt understand, coz i tried playing vids last night and theres still sounds, but now, as i am browsing tru youtube, there no sound anymore....

soapdeity [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Same problem here... If it's a problem with Adobe then why does the sound play on my IE browser and Mozilla Firefox?

jackie [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

happened to me too. have no clue what that could be :-/ I thought I could install some codecs, and nothing changed again..

DBJ [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Yeah, it's not an adobe problem when I'm watching the exact same video on Firefox and Chrome and one has sound and the other doesn't. The sound never worked for me, and the videos will play about 10-30seconds before they stop and you have to manually move the timer bar to get the video back up and rolling. Very annoying, especially since Chrome is a million X faster than FF.

Me [PersonRank 8]

15 years ago #

I have this same problem (on all of my computers I've tried Chrome on (14 of 17.. due to others not having winblows) – reinstall (flash) does not fix.
Do NOT have this problem with Firefox, IE, Opera, Safari & Skyfire (mobile) & Opera (mobile)
Mobile exclusive of # of computers with and without winblows.
Chrome also – crashes often on form resubmit for ebay and other sites
ALL of Chrome not just the one tab as stated.
Chrome is almost as buggy as Safari (for win) which is based on the same kit but by Apple (manages to fux everything up... except ipod touch – sorta)
Benefits of Chrome –
FAAAASSSTTTT!
Open many tabs
doesn't lag system like the HORRIBLE IE 8 PIECE OF S!
or even next worst Opera
or next worst Safari
or next worst/best! Firefox

Also – ability to snatch a tab and dragndrop to form it's own window like safari.

Now if we can just get everyone to FIX Chrome for the next beta.....final and start to create some plugins as it's very limited in what it can do.

Then........... this will be the best step for internet usage in history.
You know, except for Gore creating the internet *malicious grin*

So... Google – eliminate all the bugs (without causing slowdown)
Then work on a windows replacement.... as the next version of windows with touch access is going to be the worst backstep in the history of all computing...
with Vista a possible 2nd.

If you do these two things (Google) you'll be the largest corporation in the world................. YES! Android, I'm guessing is a step in the right direction – just follow through with a total winblows replacement!!!!!!!
PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

Incessant ramblings copyright by ME
No copyrights transfered, implied or otherwise, to Google at any time.
Material may not be reproduced without express written consent by ME.
ME is NOT winblows ME
get over myself already!
above is an edict for YOU and does not relate in anyway to ME.

Thank you,
so long and thanks for all the feesh
good night and good luck
ME

[Formatting fixed – Tony]

soapdeity [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

The sounds working again on my vids for Chrome...and it doesn't stop, like, 2 sec into the vid anymore...I didn't do anything to try to fix the problem and I have no idea what happened to "fix" the problem. Just hope it doesn't happen again...

LuckyMurari [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

You can follow the exact instructions at http://asktips.blogspot.com/2008/09/google-chrome-stops-playing-you-tube.html

Almir Sarajevo [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Since I have installed Chrome on my PC am getting the same problem over and over again. Exp. Am on Fire Fox playing flash games, then I run Chrome to open some other pages sound automatically stooped working. I turn off Chrome, restart Fire Fox and sound is here again! Any solution?

JohnMu [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

You can also shoot down the Shockwave Flash plugin through the task manager in Chrome and just refresh that page. I've found that doing that works for me when I ran into this problem on my wife's laptop (but maybe I should do the plugin-upgrade as well :-)).

John

Ken Masters [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Thanx... Shooting down Shockwave Plugin works!!!

Leonie Fagan [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I have the same problem too and its only with Chrome. Flash videos play fine in Firefox and IE and its getting really annoying. I tried uninstalling flash then installing version 10, but not everything recognizes it. This is really frustrating, and even though I like the browser overall, this problem is enough to make me stop using it until they get the problem fixed.

Richo [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I had the same problem in Chrome and FF.

In Chrome, I fixed it by going into the Chrome task manager, ending the Flash plug-in task, then refreshing the webpage tab.

No uninstall/reinstall necessary.

Jaidip [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

1. While in Google Chrome, use the following keyboard shortcut: Shift+Esc.

2. The Task Manager will appear. Select the "Plugin: Shockwave Flash", click end process, refresh page (F5) or from the menu

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!